Eat Tokyo

18 Hillgate Street, Notting Hill, London, W8 7SR - View on a map

One of the best authenticate restaurants in London. If you want to get very high quality sushi for a reasonable price, this is the place. Prebooking is recommended.

Alexey Ch
Tuesday, April 08, 2014

I have been frequenting what I call 'value for money' Japanese restaurants in London since we moved down to London in 2001; I would say to date I found four restaurants meet this criteria - Kulu Kulu, Ten Ten Tei, Kintaro and Misato. Of these four Kintaro is the lowest rank but the food is still acceptable, and I am sad to say the Eat Tokyo restaurant we went tonight at Holborn is below the standards set at Kintaro. I am not one that whinge about queue waiting or pesky services but I will comment on the quality of the food, against the mentioned four restaurants and the Japanese restaurants we ate in HK and Malaysia when we go back home.

We ordered a Katsu Bento, Tokyo Ramen and Unagi Rice. The Bento's rice was not from good quality Japanese stock, it was not even flavoured with mirin and vinegar which is the essence of any Japanese rice. The agedashi tofu that came with the Bento was not of good quality silky tofu but the normal Chinese water tofu, which gives a lousy tofu-ish flavour and rough texture when you bite. The Unagi Rice has no oomph, again the rice was not flavoured and it's a simple case of cutting half of a pre-cooked eel and toss it with bottled sweet mirin soy sauce on the top. The worst culprit was the Ramen. The menu picture shows it with bean sprout but there was none on the actual bowl; the soy stock was salty like hell and I had to add plain water to dilute before consuming. The final straw to the demise of the ramen was the bamboo shoot that came with it; the chef obviously forgot (or do not know) that bamboo shoot needs proper cleaning and cooking because even in tins it comes with a bad smell. In our ramen's case the chef clearly just dumped the bamboo shoot straight from the can into the ramen soup without washing or cooking, hence our ramen soup did smell bad, even my 5 year old daughter avoided it although she is a keen noodle soups enthusiast.

I admit we only asked for the cheaper range food from the menu, but this does not mean it should be treated like 3rd class food. Maybe the sashimi will deliver but I won't be betting any more of my money on Eat Tokyo - now back to Kintaro, Misato, Kulu Kulu and Ten Ten Tei!

seng lim
Saturday, October 26, 2013

This has been a favourite of mine for ages. The sushi is good and it's great value. However, they have become a victim of their own success. You always have to book and on my last visit, we booked a table at 7 and as soon as we looked like we were about to finish eating, they took away our plates and handed us the bill for £50. I wanted to order another drink but we were pressured to leave. At 8, they came up to us, interrupted our conversation and asked us to leave as they needed to give our table to other people. We are regulars and wanted to relax, talk and drink but the staff were just rude. Only allowing you an hour at the table is unacceptable. I used to recommend Eat Tokyo to everyone but this is the last time we will be going there.

Amanda
Thursday, March 28, 2013

From the irashaimaseh welcome you receive upon entering, to the cloth curtains, the hot sake, the plastic enclosed menus with pictures, you might think for a moment that you are in the back streets of Hibiya rubbing elbows with some Japanese salarymen. Eat Tokyo is the real deal. Don't get the normal things you get in your bog standard Japanese restaurant. Go off-piste. Kaki fry (fried oysters), nasu-dengaku (aubergine with miso paste), the cucumber and seaweed salad, soft shell crab, a myriad of tofu, in addition to very high quality sashimi, sushi (the rainbow roll gives you a greatest hits of different types of fish). Of course you can if you wish get everything (tempura, ton-katsu etc.) you can get elsewhere, or a bento. However each dish chosen at random stands alone. Together, it is a non-stop tasty delight. This is not the refined elegance of Nobu, or a typical mass market sushi place, or a place which caters to deep pockets. It is a wonderful, natural, unpretentious place to get great food with friendly service at a reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Eric Pettigrew - View all reviews by this user
Monday, February 06, 2012

In my opinion, "Eat Tokyo" is a very nice restaurant.

My favourite foods are tofu, miso soup and sushi.

The fish is very good because the quality is high!

I like Eat Tokyo!

GIULIA (aged 11, from Rome)
Saturday, August 27, 2011

One of my local haunts. This place is great, i usually go for a salmon jiu, and a bento box 2 hit combo accompanied by some rolls. Rolls are a bit pricey but the rice dishes are good value for money. The waiting staff are all very friendly. Rice is seasoned well enough and everything is presented well. Food arrives quickly and tastes great.

The Hungriest Hippo - View all reviews by this user