Okawari

13 Bond Street, Ealing, London, W5 5AP - View on a map

Okawari Restaurant In London

Okawari; a Japanese restaurant, run by Chinese people. Food is ok, service is bad.

I've been to Japan, the food is quite sub par. Though it manages to fool the English populus quite well.

Green tea (without leaves) should be customary upon every meal. Tipping is actually not accepted in Japanese custom, though the Chinese owners seem to forget this conveniently. A Korean restaurant in China Town chases you and says "excuse me, you forgot your money on the table". That's how it should be. Waiters are paid hourly wages, and shouldn't be underpaid for them to make up their costs on tips.

The whole restaurant is so un-Japanese. If you want the real thing, try another place.

Foodie1992
Sunday, September 22, 2013

I don't understand why there are so many bad reviews of this place... The atmosphere is good, as are the staff. The sushi is great and the seating-style is fun and it's great especially when you're with a group of friends or family and the food is always delicious. They also take Tastecard all day every day, which is great! I always leave Okawari after eating a meal feeling quite satisfied :) And they give us a UNLIMITED REFILL OF GREEN TEA! how cool is that!?

I personally would recommend this restaurant! :)

Mr Orange - View all reviews by this user
Monday, June 24, 2013

Just had an amazing meal at Okawari! We rung up to book a table at 7pm for 8.30pm beacause we had tastecard and it was no problem at all.

When we arrived we were seated promptly in the 'tatami' area (sunken area) which was nice compared to usual to tables.

Our waitress (nice girl wearing glasses) handed over our menus and explained the tastecard (241) was across all courses and she gave us ample time to decide what we wanted.

We ordered - Starters - Chicken Kara-age wings & Agedashi Tofu. The wings were crispy and the tofu was good quality, both were piping hot and tasty.

Mains - Ten don & Fish cutlet curry. First of all we were impressed that they had fish cutlet curry on the menu to choose from as we have been to a fair share of resturants and have never seen this on the menu. Okawari has quite a few dishes on the menu which seperates it from the rest of the Japanese Resturants. The curry's presentation was lovely - rice, salad, fish and a cute bowl of curry sauce with potatoes & carrots. The fish was a decent size and meaty. The ten don was also nice, tempura was nice a crisp with a good selection of vegetables included and a generous portion of rice.

Sashimi - 2x Standard Sashimi. 6 pieces, 2 Salmon 2 Mackerel & 2 Tuna. Sashimi was fresh and was sliced thickly.

Dessert - Green tea icecream & Sesame icecream. You get 2 scoops per portion so not stingy at all, we have been to some resturants where they just give you one scoop! Nice and creamy! Delicious end to our meal!

Drinks - 2x Green tea. Traditional green tea - was refilled by the waitresses without us having to chase them to do so.

Okawari is definitely a hidden gem in Ealing! I did think twice writing a review because I didnt want people finding out about this place but that would be unfair.

The decor I only gave 9 out of 10 because I do think they can improve on that, maybe some Japanese instrumental music in the background and more effort on the decorations, but you come for the food really!

I hope Okawari continues their great service and food standard.

It was very good value for money and the food was brilliant, we will definetly be back and I am pretty sure it will become one of our firm favourites.

Recommended!

Mary & Johnny
Saturday, June 09, 2012

I go to Okawari a lot and am never disappointed! The atmosphere is good, as are the staff. The seating-style is fun, and the food is always delicious. Also they take Tastecard all day every day, which is fantastic!

My daughter lived in Japan for a year and adores Okawari and its food - she's wheat and dairy intolerant and can eat there easily.

I would recommend this restaurant to all ages.

Margaret Johnston - View all reviews by this user