Behesht

1082-1086 Harrow Road, Kensal Green, London, NW10 5NL - View on a map

The Independent

Lisa Markwell - 7/10

Sunday, July 31, 2011 - Mains follow fast: there's little variation (unless you come on a Friday, when Special Iranian Stew makes an appearance). It's all about the kebab: lamb or chicken. Rice and salad, or bread and salad. Edited choice is great when it works and at Behesht, it works. The chicken, whether on or off the bone, is succulent and tender; the lamb, minced or cubed, likewise. Each dish comes with white rice and a cursory salad, plus a flame-blistered tomato that mushes up nicely with the meat and rice...So Behesht proved worthy of the recommendation. It's never going to win any haute cuisine awards but it's very good at Persian food.

I had my birthday at Behesht, I ignored all the comments down below and I really do regret doing so (should have had my birthday at pizzahut). First of all, we came in a group of 20 and they gave us a very crammed place. My friends gave the waiter my birthday cake to serve. Drinks for 2 pounds!? I mean I can get it for 50p. Anyways, the service was very slow and the waiter was very rude and only spoke little English. Our food was thrown on the table and had to sort our self out what dish belonged to who. So then when the waiter brought the birthday cake he throw it on the table and my birthday cake got ruined slightly!

I loved the food it was amazing but these staff should be trained and the place needs a make over. If this was done I think it could win many awards!

Unhappy Customer! - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, August 20, 2011

I visited Behesht with my wife who is Iranian. I ordered chicken, and kebab which was not cooked well and still red inside, but managed to plough through, but she could not complete her food 'Fesenjan' as it tasted so bad and the chicken smelled really bad. She told me that it was nothing like the real dish. The waiter wasn't so bad so we decide to leave a couple of pounds tip for him, but I was furious when I got home and realised they charged us a 'service charge' of £2.40. The place was crammed and they only played music a few minutes before we left. Not going here again, and will even be sending a complaint to trading standards.

Khalid
Monday, August 01, 2011

Went to have dinner there on a Tuesday night ... the waiters were unfriendly and we were sat at a very cramped table and chair. The service was slow. Unlike other similar restaurants, we weren't offered any complimentary salad or dips with bread. The koobideh was tasteless. Very dissappointing. We also had to pay a service charge and expected to leave a tip!

Faiz
Friday, July 29, 2011

I have been to Iran twice, and despite Behesht being overwhelmingly 'brown', I think that the decor and setting represents the great country of Iran very well. Out of the handful of times I have been there, there weren't many where it got overcrowded, which may be a problem for the cramped tables and chairs.

In terms of food: top marks. The servings are very generous and are guaranteed to fill you up. Quality is commendable, especially the meat.

The waiters might need to cheer up a bit, and the smoking area should be closed off completely from the non-smoking area or else the point is defeated. Either way, these flaws are only superficial.

Overall, great restaurant.