Delhi Grill

21 Chapel Market, Angel, London, N1 9EZ - View on a map

Delhi Grill Restaurant In London

TimeOut

TimeOut - 4/5

Thursday, October 20, 2011 - Dishes are split equally between items from the tandoor and those from the pot, but look to the specials board before ordering - August proffered dhal gosht, aloo puri and vegetable pakora; if available, the on-the-bone goat curry is a must, as is rajmah, a Punjabi dish of kidney beans. We've generally found most satisfaction from the slow-cooked sauce dishes, but a 'Delhi Grill' for two at just 7.50 will see off any cravings for meat - it includes lamb chops, chicken tikkas and punchy seekh kebabs. The own-made, silky-smooth beetroot chutney has become something of a signature.

Metro

Marina O'Loughlin - 4/5

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - With the exception of an uninspiring biryani, the food is a joy. You can tell they're serious when the relishes arrive, no catering pack of jammy mango here but subtle, garlicky chickpea puree, fresh, minty yoghurt and a magnificent beetroot chutney. Then rotis: freshly made, warm, seductive little breads, perfect for mopping up sauces; in the evenings there's a bar where a roti-wallah cooks them up like a dervish. Naan, thinner and crisper than the norm, are also made fresh to order. And the rogan josh is a beauty, each spice thrillingly distinct, the meat slow-cooked until you could cut it with a spoon.

This was my Christmas night out with Big Matt, a trip to the Islington Academy to see the brilliant Wonderstuff play an acoustic set. Back in the day we might have hit the pubs and drank on through until showtime but nowadays we take it a bit easier and food has to feature. It's been a while since I've been out in Islington so I reached out to twitter and some good suggestions came back. I've always found the area a strange one, Angel has that odd mix of hipsterish joints surrounded by the usual chains. It almost feels it desperately wants to be trendier than it is but holds back from going full Camden. The Islington Academy (or whatever it is called nowadays) is a good illustration, a small cultish music venue surrounded by chain bars in a modern shopping centre. The shopping centre itself need not detain you long so armed with recommendations I headed over the road to Chapel Market where there was promise of drinks at the Craft Beer Co and a curry from Dehli Grill. The Craft Beer Co was full with a rather awkward work Christmas gathering, the older senior people seemed to be getting on it big style whilst the younger bespectacled attendees were standing aloof nursing solitary pints. All very Islington.

As nice as the beer is I didn't want to linger so I headed off early to the Delhi Grill. This is not your usual curry house, decor is aimed to mimic an indian street market. In fact the restaurant has a lunchtime stall selling their wares at the market outside. Obviously 'Grill' is a big clue to the menu but as well as the expected grilled offerings there was a wide selections of curries. Matt was running a bit late so with beer in hand I sat back to earwig the rather strained dinner conversation at the table next to me. It appeared to revolve around a youngish girl attempting to tap up her estranged father or grandfather for her inheritance. Negotiations were not going well but Big Matt turned up before the denouement so I'll never know the conclusion. Beers ordered we scoured the menu and with memories of the great Tayyabs lamb chops we had at Meatopia we decided to try the Dehli Grill version. They were good perhaps not as good as Tayyabs but spicy and succulent nevertheless, they didn't last long. We also had poppadums with a very good pickle tray. Service was efficient rather than friendly but we were well looked after.

To follow I went outside my comfort zone and ordered the lamb biryani, what a fortuitous decision! It was lovely, fragrant, tasty and the lamb cooked perfectly. I've seen how difficult Biryani is to cook on numerous cookery shows and this version was excellent. Easily my best rice dish of 2014. Matt enjoyed his chicken Makhani but admitted I had chosen very well indeed when he tried some of mine. We supplemented our mains with a very nice selection of breads. The bill was good value for money at about £30 each for very tasty food and cold beers. It wasn't the busiest on the Monday night we went but rows about wills aside there was a nice buzz in there. We set off into the night for a cracking acoustic set by the ever reliable Wonderstuff. The culmination of rather good Christmas night out.

david ginsberg - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - An assortment of grilled meats from the tandoor were delicately spiced and rather delicious. The sheekh kebabs were extremely tender, falling apart but packed with flavour and the lamb chops had a similar melt-in-the-mouth consistency...The veggie dishes were rather good. Saag (spinach) came with two lumps of butter to really make it rich and velvety, and the aubergine (baingan) was smoky like a Lebanese babaganoush, but rich in Indian spices. Best of all was the tarka dhal which is made from yellow lentils, packed with garlic, coriander and cumin.

Bellaphon

Bellaphon

Thursday, December 30, 2010 - The complimentary chutneys and dips: You'll need to order some poppadoms now. The chutneys were all amazing and a special mention goes to the memorable but fiery coriander, mint and chilli chutney. Sheekh Kebabs: Unashamedly spicy and voraciously juicy. A must have at 2.50! Haandi Murgh: A most delectable chicken on the bone curry and only a close second to this. A nigh on unmissable dish that should by all accounts appear permanently on the menu instead of the specials board...Delhi Grill is an immense find, so much so that I've decided it's my best restaurant of 2010.

An American In London

An American In London

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - Grilled items as starters were generally very good. Sizzling, juicy, well seasoned. The lamb chops could have used more marinade and fat, but I say this as someone who always prefers a wet marinade to a dry rub. Fried foods were very good, too, though you could accuse all the fried dishes of tasting the same because the chilli-paprika seasoning in the batter seems to stay the same, whether the pakoras are fish or onion...Overall, our dinner at Delhi Grill was delicious and cheap (30 for two, including beers), and I'm thrilled that it opened in the 'hood.