The Wolseley

160 Piccadilly, Mayfair, London, W1J 9EB - View on a map

The Wolseley Restaurant In London

The restaurant interior with Venetian and Florentine influences and Eastern exotic touches ensure you dine in a grand, atmospheric surroundings with its towering pillars, arches and stairways which were originally a car showroom.

Yes the place is a bit noisy (but then it is always full of diners) and tables are a little cramped but the service is very attentive and the food was delicious. I had kedgeree and it was undoubtedly the best I've ever tasted. It was my birthday and they brought out a little tarte au citron with a candle for me to blow out which was a lovely gesture.... I had a wonderful time and would definitely recommend this place.

Bee
Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Still as good as you can get in London, especially at lunchtime, but sad that calves' liver is no longer on the menu. But the fish stew was delicious, and the steak tartare is always a winner.

We got a less-than-good waiter, unfortunately, but one knows that any real problems will be dealt with very professionally.

James - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I had been postponing dining at The Wolseley, waiting for a special occasion. I finally went for dinner last night and I don't think I have ever been so disappointed for a restaurant that is so well known and recognized. The food really does not live up to its expectations, it was not fresh and it felt like it was mass produced. I compare it to being in a big cruise ship, where the atmosphere is nice but food has to be pre-prepared and cooked for 1000's of people, so it has to compromise on quality and freshness. Having been to many restaurants in London, I can think of hundred better places to spend more than 100 pounds on a dinner. In addition, I left a shopping bag under my table and called the restaurant next day and a very unhelpful lady said they had found nothing and hung up the phone. At least, I won't be making the same mistake again.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

We were just at The Wolseley for coffee and cake, a wonderful place to go - a bit like one of the big Parisian dining places. (We have lunched there before and that it was really buzzing). The coffee was good, the Danish pastry ok-ish, nothing special. But I love the place!

Sarah - View all reviews by this user
Monday, January 21, 2013

Quite disappointing. Overly busy with tables far too crammed together - and loud - not a place for a romantic dinner and certainly not for those who want to hear anything. Good for a bit of celeb spotting but overall view was, as my wife put it, "the kind of place your dad would go to".

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Delicious smoked bacon and tomatoes on white toast - the perfect way to start the day!

Still the best run restaurant in town.

James - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Overall very disappointing; my friends and I go out for a meal and catch up to a "nice" restaurant every 2-3 months and this was probably the worst meal we have had in 2 years of going out. 2 people had fish for starters; a salad nicoise and the herring. Not being a great fish lover myself I was unable to comment however the comments from the individual diners are not repeatable here. The 5 main courses appeared over a 6-7 min window, the steak someone had was so cold the butter did not melt, my wiener schnitzel was blackened down one side and soggy on the other, the coq au vin was apparently over powering and sickly coupled with cold sides and one returned main course not great! Battling through the waiter brought a dessert wine through which was corked (not his fault but he did not notice). The desserts were passable but not brilliant, I must say for a restaurant with this reputation it was thoroughly mediocre and not worth the £400 (with £50 knocked off) we paid.... Epic fail to the wolseley.

Lee
Monday, December 19, 2011

We've been here before, and enjoyed our return visit. OK, the layout is a bit chaotic and it feels very informal despite the "fine dining" prices. Mrs Kentish correctly pointed out that it's more like a Parisian bistro than a high(ish) end London eatery - and that's not intended as a criticism.

My seven-hour lamb looked unappealing on the plate and was the weakest link in our selection, but the staff were great and ensured we had a good time.

Kentishwanderer
Monday, December 19, 2011

The main restaurant comprises a large room. It was very busy, and we found it noisy and not relaxing.

We tried the afternoon tea which comprised scones, finger sandwiches and a selection of very small cakes. There was a choice of teas.

The tea arrived first. I had the Wolseley special blend, which was very weak. My wife tried it and described it as "dishwater". She had ordered the breakfast blend, which was okay, but not hot enough.

The scones were good. Served warm, with butter, strawberry jam and clotted cream. The finger sandwiches were okay. There were 6 small varieties of cake. I had a cheesecake which I thought was good, and a small chocolate cake which was okay. A piece of battenburg was poor, too sweet and heavy. My wife had a berry tart, which she thought was good, a coffee eclair which she thought was okay and a macaroon which was too sweet.

The tea was priced at £21.50, so for two amounted to £43.00 to which was added a 12.5% discretionary service charge of £5.37 making a total of £48.37.

We would not return.

Jonathan Marks
Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pretentious and very rude staff who have no idea what customer service is.

The Wolseley is a money-grabing venture half-owned by a man whose questionable business ethics are quite apparent in the execution of this restaurant. Avoid.

Nas
Thursday, October 27, 2011

London Eater

London Eater

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - I started with the Soupe de Poisson. Grainy, intensely aromatic of distilled shells of crustaceans, but not so overly fishy that it overstank. A vigorous fish soup can make for a gratifying start to a meal, especially one as good as this. Warming...I would imagine that Wolseley is the perfect stage to indulge in a tea sipping competition, the afternoon tea set comes with finger sandwiches, sweet pastries, scones, clotted cream and strawberry jam as well as an explanation from the waiter. I found this set to be a tad overpriced to be honest, granted it was photogenic and that it was mostly edible.