Polpetto

11 Berwick Street, Soho, London, W1F 0PL - View on a map

Polpetto Restaurant In London

our review

Polpetto has reopened at a new, larger site on Soho's Berwick Street. Florence Knight returns as head chef and the 70-cover restaurant features an open kitchen and aperitivo bar.

February 2014

Guardian

John Lanchester

Saturday, November 27, 2010 - The idea is to copy the small bar/restaurants of Venice, which specialise in good and unpretentious food accompanied by good and unpretentious drinks. The signifiers are those of casual dining: the paper tablecloth is also the menu, and there are funkily tiny wineglasses already set up....It's not the subtlest or most delicate cooking in the world. Chilli and garlic prawns were too gloopy for me, and pigeon saltimbocca a bit rough. But at 7 pounds for each dish, the value is so good, you don't mind. I also liked the feeling that the fresh, unpretending food was coming straight out of the kitchen and on to the table.

Telegraph

Matthew Norman - 9/10

Monday, October 11, 2010 - A clutch of prawns in a gutsy tomato and chilli sauce were vibrant to eye as well as taste bud. Osso bucco was lustrous, the soft, ribbony veal flaking gently away from the knuckle, and complemented by a fine saffron risotto. We cooed over the pigeon saltimbocca, two plump, juicy ovals of that gamily intimate bird wrapped in the thinnest prosciutto. Zucchini fries were as thin as Belgian frites, and as light and greaseless as the crab, while sprouting broccoli was matched, quite brilliantly, with smoked almonds and chilli. 'Best. Broccoli. EVER,' was the verdict from across the table.

+ Show more critic reviews

Gulp. What have they done????!!!!

A nice British take on Italian food, has been turned into a mish-mash of dishes that bear zero relation to Italy or to the name (which means small meatball) of the restaurant.

They have clearly lost their way. So be honest- change the name of the restaurant! Those of us who go expecting a continuation of the original Polpetto are in for a surprise-and not in a good sense. And those of us who expect a British take on Italian food, are clearly facing a deception.

Change the name in recognition of a menu that has nothing to do with the antecedent Polpetto.

I was sorely disappointed by the food, which I had trouble finding anything I wanted to eat.

C.Elder
Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I went there last night with a friend. I loved the fact that it was quiet, it was a Tuesday night after all.

I loved their simple, unpretentious menu, reminded me very much of when I was in Italy dining in all the local back street cafes.

Apart from the great menu, what will make me go back is their service. Great, tentative and friendly service in London is now as rare as wining the lottery. Definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Lin
Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Essex Eating

Essex Eating

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - As a main, I'd ordered Osso Buco with saffron risotto and despite being unlucky enough to get a veal shank that was solid bone with no marrow to speak of, it was frigging superb, The rich velvety meaty texture of veal against the creamy perfectly cooked saffron risotto was just out of this world...I absolutely love Polpetto. It has a wonderful buzzing atmosphere with an artfully decrepit yet secretive vibe and outstanding rustic food. What more could you want?

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 9/10

Friday, September 24, 2010 - The soft-shelled crab in parmesan batter is fresh and crunchy and a great way of having this delicacy. The osso buco is a generous slab of tender braised veal shank on a bed of saffron risotto which is always superb, especially when you scoop the marrow out of the central bone and spread it on the meat...If you think Polpetto isn't worth bothering with because you can't guarantee a spot, then you're missing out on one of the great, distinctive dining experiences of London.

London Eater

London Eater

Thursday, September 16, 2010 - Osso buco, saffron risotto: I'd imagine this is Polpetto's signature dish, afterall it has its own glamour shot on the website. Yeah this was proper good. Herby and homely and for some strange reason, the flavours were redolent of New Zealand. Bags of it, I stuck my nose in to the golden rice, and really enjoyed the melt-your-brains softness of the veal which couldn't help falling off the bone...Polpo and Polpetto are atmosphere first and food later. I feel that it pulls in traffic for exactly this reason. Food is mostly edible of course (even though much was yawn), but given the choice, I wouldn't go back.

+ Show more bloggers