ORA Restaurant

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

TimeOut

Guy Dimond - 2/5

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - At first glance, the menu reads like the usual Thai Top Fifty. But the dish presentation is modern and stylish, possibly helped along by the chef's background at Busaba Eathai, and the manager's experience at Mango Tree and Awana.Som tum was a decent version, the zingy salad made with plenty of grated green papaya - no carrot or cabbage substitution here. Overall though, our meal at Ora was a disappointment. Portions were small, prices on the high side, service a bit fumbling. For us, it just lacked the essential wanna-go-back factor.

Went to ORA for new years, i know its in central but £10 for one cocktail I think that's pushing it, the price is way over rated for what they offer. had the curry prawn which was OK nothing special but my friend had a noodle dish with chicken and it was Horrid and funny enough the table next to us was complaining about the food too. will not be going there again!

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

I also visited this restaurant with a Groupon voucher.

Overall, the food was good; I wouldn't say great, but as noted by other reviewers we were somewhat limited in choice as we did not get the full menu.

The biggest let-down for me was I ordered a duck curry, which came with what was most definitely a chicken drumstick. I am by no means a foodie, but I think pretty much anyone who eats poultry will be able to spot a chicken as opposed to a duck. I pointed this out the the waiter, who tried to convince me it was indeed a piece of duck; I then broke into the skin which was very white, and pointed out that the meat I was served was definetely chicken.

Other than that, the restaurant itself was lovely and service not too bad.

C-Cee Eto
Monday, September 03, 2012

After reading some of the comments for this place, I was seriously considering cancelling. However, I didn't and I'm do glad that I didn't! I was on the groupon deal for 3 courses for 2 people and the food was really great. Good choices on the menu and good sized portions, the food was also hot (unlike some reviews suggest). We had a bottle of wine which was lovely and although £19, seems standard for a central London restaurant. The service was also brilliant, they were regularly topping up our wine and made sure we were OK. Can't comment on the price of the food as we were on a deal, but I was impressed and wanted to share my experience given that this restaurant has received a lot of negative comments on this site!

Aimee
Sunday, April 22, 2012

We had a Groupon Voucher for the value of £69 which included a 3 course dinner and was definitely worth £69, if not more (3 courses chosen from a groupon menu)

Expected the worse because of the reviews on here and in our opinion of dining out in London we found food, value, service exceptionally fantastic, we will definitely be going back there and looking forward to choosing from the proper menu.

Kas Meghani
Sunday, April 22, 2012

Some of the dishes served were cold and service was appalling. Over-priced and rude management. Food was good but shame everything else spoilt it.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Manager was very rude! Very bad service though food was ok except some dishes were served cold! Not enjoyable at all in fact quite stressful!

Ella chan - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, April 05, 2012

Ella chan
Thursday, April 05, 2012

We had a Groupon Voucher for the value of £69 which included a 2 course meal-the value of the meal we had at the Ora restaurant was definitely not worth £69.

The portion size of the food was also very small and we had to order extra meals. the price of the meals were over-priced for what they were worth. The staff did not take care of us as you would expect with normal restaurant service. I had to remind our waitress 3 times for our drinks. The drinks tasted watered down. The menu that we were offered was significantly poor and very limited compared to the actual restaurant menu. Unfortunately we will never return to this restaurant to eat again.

sal - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, October 16, 2011

Reading some of the reviews, I am trying to work out whether the food is really bad or we had just had a very bad night. Starters was veggie rolls, thick like bricks, nothing subtle, and unlike another reviewer, the calamari was heavily coated in batter with an odd tasting black sauce. Mains were awful, we couldn't finish them, heavy handed helpings. Unlike other Thai restaurants, could not share. Beef M. Curry - quality of beef v disappointing, braised, not at all what we were expecting. Big dollops of solid pieces of meat (like it had been lifted from a can) on the plate with a synthetic tasting sauce. Crispy cod with ginger, disappointing. We were on the 50% meal deal, and glad we were because it's been a long time since we had such a disaster of a meal in London. Overpriced bad Thai pub food. Only saving grace was the staff who were nice but perhaps overly attentive. I can fill my own water glass.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Great service, shame about the food! Booked a table with a Living Social deal, so a very short menu to choose from. The spring rolls were a bit like eating bricks-very little filling (and unidentifiable veg filling). Pad thai was like none I've ever had either here or in Thailand, smothered in sugary sweet chilli sauce which meant I could only eat about a third (I would have eaten less but didn't want to make it completely obvious that I found the dish inedible). I don't think it was just poor because it was on the deal-I saw the same spring rolls going out to a number of tables. Shame as I thought the chef was supposed to be pretty accomplished, but perhaps they have a new chef. The cocktails we had on top of the deal were great, but at £10 each they were definitely on the steep side for a restaurant, even in central London. There is a great little thai place around the corner at less than half the price of ORA, so despite the best efforts of the staff I won't be going back.

Monday, August 29, 2011