Pollen Street Social

8-13 Pollen Street, Mayfair, London, W1S 1NQ - View on a map

Pollen Street Social Restaurant In London

We have just returned from our first visit to Pollen Street Social, I surprised my wife with a birthday treat.

The restaurant is nicely decorated with a very relaxed atmosphere.

We ordered from the a la carte menu, I had the smoked haddock starter with hens egg, it was nice but I was surprised at how small the portion was, I could have quite easily finished it in 3 mouth full's.

For mains I had the lamb, what can I say about this dsh!! Truly OUTSTANDING, cooked to perfection with beautifully cooked garnish and a lovely sauce.

I would return just for the lamb.

My wife ordered from the vegetarian menu, she had the English breakfast for starters and gnocci for mains, she was absolutely delighted with both courses.

Service was very good, very attentive. Every staff member was friendly and courteous.

We will happily go again and take our friends with us.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pollen Street Social was fast becoming our favourite restaurant until they blew it when four of us went last Tuesday.

Being left waiting with no-one to greet us wasn't a good sign on arrival and, sure enough, it went downhill from there.

Frankly, it was pretty average cooking with nothing like the skill displayed on previous visits. Even the amuse bouches were they same as two months ago.

Service was poor with several requests having to be repeated because they weren't followed up. The waiter overlooked one dessert request because he never wrote our orders down. Why, for goodness sake, do restaurants not insist waiters write it down. It's just showing off and it never works.

One of us requested a simple grilled sea bass as her main course and, on settling the bill, we told our waiter that we were disappointed with how the dish was presented. His attitude was quite startling, as if it was our fault for going 'off piste'. No sign of 'I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your dish' - just a defensive knee-jerk response. Someone needs to teach him customer skills.

I know that even the best places can have off nights but this was a sheer drop from the exquisite experiences we've has previously.

I wrote to the General Manger explaining our disappointment and, par for the course, I've not had the courtesy of a reply.

They are busy with several new restaurant projects at the moment and it very much looks like they've taken their eye off the ball.

We won't be returning in a hurry.

Friday, March 01, 2013

Went on Friday 6th of December as a four-ball, the whole experience was outstanding. From the amuse bouch to the desserts (and yes you get a free pre-dessert, dessert), the quality of the food superb. My friends and I dont want airs and graces, but fine food that wows you and makes you say "How did they do that?". Hence we have no qualms about trying each other's food, so I can safely say that all starters, mains and desserts were wonderful. We paid £492, now in anybody's book thats serious money for a meal, but I would go back tomorrow if I could get in. Trust me, this is a high quality establishment, with informative staff and original, great tasting food, beautifully presented. There are plenty of places to eat in London, but I have no hesitation of putting this on my list, for when I return to The Smoke.

CHARLIE - View all reviews by this user
Monday, December 10, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 7/10

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - Both main courses were superb. A bright white slab of perfectly-tooked turbot, skin crisped-up just so, resting on earth bulgur wheat and cardamom purée, was nigh-on irreproachable. And my own curried monkfish, moist and meaty and exact, won similar praise. Steer away from crustaceans and towards the fish is my advice...So there are, undoubtedly, many reasons to visit Pollen Street Social and many ways of ordering yourself a fantastic meal. But there are also enough duds lurking around that ordering yourself a fantastic meal is by no means a given.