Pollen Street Social

8-13 Pollen Street, Mayfair, London, W1S 1NQ - View on a map

Pollen Street Social Restaurant In London

Matthew Norman - 9/10

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - The hot oysters, cooked in a piquant Japanese stock, were great. But the ice cream, which on arrival I feared might cause him a stroke, was sublime in its sharp, saline, zingy purity of flavour. 'That,' he said, 'is a taste sensation.' So was my escabeche of quail, glazed in a subtle and savoury barbecue marinade and served with a medley of crushed nuts and seeds, tiny pickled onions and girolle mushrooms and a gloriously delicate chicken liver cream on thin, crunchy toast...''Our committee,' I motion that, after Heston Blumenthal's Dinner, this is the second best opening of the year so far.'

Zoe Williams - 6/10

Sunday, May 29, 2011 - We fell into the gentle rhythm of being unmaddened but not minding: the barbecued mackerel was surrounded by twiddly bits - a cucumber chutney, some frozen ajo blanco, a scallop - but failed to lift the spirits. The slightly virginal theme of the accompaniments, which I suppose was intended as a counterpoint to this oily, macho fish, served rather to underline how unexciting it was...It turns out the site used to be a Pitcher & Piano, which explains the atmosphere. The food is more exciting to look at than to eat.

+ Show more critic reviews

No readers reviews yet.
Why not be the first and enter our competition to win a bottle of champagne.
Click here to write your review.

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 7/10

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - Both main courses were superb. A bright white slab of perfectly-tooked turbot, skin crisped-up just so, resting on earth bulgur wheat and cardamom purée, was nigh-on irreproachable. And my own curried monkfish, moist and meaty and exact, won similar praise. Steer away from crustaceans and towards the fish is my advice...So there are, undoubtedly, many reasons to visit Pollen Street Social and many ways of ordering yourself a fantastic meal. But there are also enough duds lurking around that ordering yourself a fantastic meal is by no means a given.

Essex Eating

Essex Eating

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - The egg, slowly cooked sous vide was at first off putting in it's apparent rawness but, just then, it broke, a golden pool of yolk starbursting through the bright green liquid wild garlic, and it tasted amazing. Combined with the soft Hake and the salty, curry spiciness of the puffed rice it was beautiful...I absolutely loved Pollen Street Social. The food is beautiful, inventive and delicious. The set lunch menu could be used as a case study in how to perfectly utilise cheaper ingredients and turn them into something amazing.

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Thursday, June 23, 2011 - The mains saw me sharing the pork and lamb dish, but I can't say they wowed me too much. I liked most of the trio of Dingley Dell pork, although I was utterly perturbed by the gunk underneath. I have no idea what it was, or what it was meant to taste of, or indeed what it was doing on the plate... From what I saw of PSS, it was enjoyable but pricy and I was much kinder about PSS in comparison to the people I dined with. I guess the astronomical expectations had let me down with a mediocre meal.

+ Show more bloggers