Cay Tre

301 Old Street, Shoreditch, London, EC1V 9LA - View on a map

Cay Tre Restaurant In London

Went back again after a fair while. Lunch menu is fairly good value, well what I ordered was today. Food seems to arrive within 3 mins of drinks which is great at lunch, though evenings its a bit longer..

It was Mum's Birthday and thought I would treat us as we haven't been for lunch for ages.

The extensive lunch menu is slightly overwhelming, but I finally selected Mekong Catfish. Served in a clay bowl in which the waiter ignites some gel around it so it bubbles and boils at the table for a few minutes. I have never tasted catfish before and get the impression its not the sort of thing you eat in minimalist style with just lemon and oil.

That was not really a negative as the fish and sauce was amazing, unctuous sweet sticky spicy and complimenting the fish which had almost like a salmon texture with a whiter fish. I saw Meekong Catfish in SE Asia a lot and they looked so ugly I was not brave enough to try it. Glad I did, but the sauce added a lot. It came with a bowl of rice and there were 3 large pieces of fish. Could easily feed two of me!

My companion had a chicken and mushroom stirfry dish with rice and plenty of veg, though the sauce wasnt quite as interesting as the catfish one.

Had 4 beers, that to be honest didnt touch the sides as they were tiny but did the job absorbing this hearty lunch. I would have liked a few veg in with the fish but I guess I could easily have ordered a side. Have to say the sides on the lunch menu looked tempting.

Lovely lunch, though it can be cramped when v busy, which thankfully it wasnt and another minor is the downstairs is a bit dingy for my liking. I am marking 6 for staff purely because after the initial order I always had to struggle to summon them rather then regularly checking if we needed drinks etc. They always acted in a timely manner when I asked for anything though.So...Still very fond of this place...Lunch Menu is best value which is what my 8 refers to, evening slightly less so.

Kedi
Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Had a dish from the lunch menu that I hadn't tried before. The price was slightly steep. It was approx 3 king prawns and the same of squid, with some standard veg like carrots, onions and mange tout; as well as some more obscure veg, Chinese celery which didn't taste like celery at all (quite a good thing as I dislike cooked celery) and a thing that looked like sliced green apple, had the texture of cucumber but no seeds in the middle, and not much taste! It was served on a large bed of rice, most of which I left. The seafood was perfectly cooked, squid tender but there wasn't much flavour in the sauce. I had to add some chilli sauce and dip things in it. I liked it overall though. It also had a pork broth with betal leaf on the side which was exceptionally flavoursome.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Still loving cay tre after all these years, though prices have edged up somewhat to the point it's not such a regular for me. Though it's busy round Lunch me and Mum still could chat easily. Evening slightly more boisterous crowds make it hard to do this though. Service more efficient than Viet Grill, and the chilli squid was lovely, tender, with crunchy light batter. Could have done with a few more for 8.50 or there abouts. Love the water spinach and regretted not taking what we didn't eat of it home. Slightly odd situation at the end when we asked for the lid for our bottle of 3/4 full sparking water as Mum wanted to take it home. The waitress came back with the bottle; a wodge of bog roll, encased in cling film in a slim sausage shape crammed into the top where said lid was supposed to be! We giggled and hasten to say, left the water. Apart from that service was fine, no complaints on food and the lunch menu is good value if you like noodles, pho etc which I don't really, but I love the vong fish and I guess that does have noodles in it now I think about it.

Kedi - View all reviews by this user
Friday, October 26, 2012

I live just in Hoxton and this is my local favourite for the last five years. It has been many a long time since my first meal but the menu is evolving in a yummy way.

Their Pho and Noodle section is a must, beef quality is excellent. Try the Cognac luc lac rib eye. Yummny .

The downside is the restaurant is very noisy, it is now a victim of its own success.

Johnathan
Wednesday, December 07, 2011

I love it how after every bad review there is suddenly a glowing one about how amazing the ingredients are and how the price tag is justified and so on and so forth. Always written in the same tone and I suspect by the same person.

Very mediocre meal, clearly overpriced and nothing was really fresh. I had a nice meal in their Soho outpost though. Old Street is just resting on its laurels...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Finding a Vietnamese restaurant in London is so easy nowadays, but an authentic, with fresh ingredients, lovely meat and seafood is still like looking for a gem.

Luckily one is just right by my door step. Cay Tre Hoxton is a real Vietnamese that offers them all. Their Pho is like you have it in Saigon with all cut of beef, their seafood is like just out of the sea. I am addticed to Vietnamese Kingsland, but have to admit somehow no one is offering a real Vietnamese experience, which is fresh food with talent cooking.

The price is higher for both food and wine, but the quality and, real Vietnamese taste, is also higher. But still how come you have true rib eye for just under a tenner, with a fantastic French red for just 4.50 a glass.

The Xmas menu looks promising, I need to go back for these. And probably every lunch for my bargain £7 Pho, with brisket and Onglet steak. Yummy.

Charlotte
Sunday, November 06, 2011

If my friends and I are out in Hoxton we normally start off with dinner at one of the Vietnamese restaurants in Kingsland Road. They are good value and we have never had a bad meal at any of them. Unfortunately, this time round we were going to the theatre round the corner and so chose Cay Tre for convenience.

I second what other reviewers have said about the overcooked inedible meat: the squid in the seafood pho was so tough and rubbery that I think I have damaged a crown chomping down on it, and my friend left most of hers. My boyfriend was luckier with his chicken pho, although he said the chicken was “mostly spinal column” - not really acceptable for a dish costing £8.50. Both dishes were bland too.

We were also twice overcharged: £10 for two glasses of wine that cost £4.50 each, and £1.50 because my friend asked for an extra cup with her “tea for one” (their words) because she could not finish it on her own. Both mistakes were rectified after we complained (about this and the food) but they left the 12.5% service charge on there!

We’ll stick to the Kingsland Road from now on…

Scranhunter - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, November 02, 2011

I think the menu has changed a bit (no crispy frogs legs, my favourite..) and prices increased since last time. That said the food was great. Chilli squid was lovely but a couple of bits became rather too chewy when they cooled. I still found them moreish and the batter was light and not oily. Could have had more chilli but I could have asked! Rice noodle bowl with pork was huge and generous with meat and spring rolls in it. I had a Saigon beer which was ok.

Kedi - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, October 20, 2011

Not sure why Amy's so chuffed about queueing with trendy people. To be honest, there's a fine line between "trendy" and "bit of a ****", and being forced to spend too much time together in a disorganised line isn't what constitues a good restaurant. What does is the food – so lay off the microwave!

Phil
Monday, September 26, 2011

One of the rare place to enjoy true Vietnamese food in London.

The Oxcheek au Vin Pho here is amazing, the meat is tender, the broth is aromatic.

The Pho is fab with different cut - Fillet, beef clod, brisket all make Cay Tre Pho very unique.

I enjoy the queue here, lots of trendy people queuing, waiting for a table. Then you see waiters passing with sizzling dishes. Red prawns, lobster everything. It makes queuing time very enjoyable.

Fresh juices are some bonus. Lychees and Coconut fresh. So good after a Pho.

Very decent cooking, fabulous Pho, big portion.

Amy