Cay Tre

301 Old Street, Shoreditch, London, EC1V 9LA - View on a map

Cay Tre Restaurant In London

Went back again after a fair while. Lunch menu is fairly good value, well what I ordered was today. Food seems to arrive within 3 mins of drinks which is great at lunch, though evenings its a bit longer..

It was Mum's Birthday and thought I would treat us as we haven't been for lunch for ages.

The extensive lunch menu is slightly overwhelming, but I finally selected Mekong Catfish. Served in a clay bowl in which the waiter ignites some gel around it so it bubbles and boils at the table for a few minutes. I have never tasted catfish before and get the impression its not the sort of thing you eat in minimalist style with just lemon and oil.

That was not really a negative as the fish and sauce was amazing, unctuous sweet sticky spicy and complimenting the fish which had almost like a salmon texture with a whiter fish. I saw Meekong Catfish in SE Asia a lot and they looked so ugly I was not brave enough to try it. Glad I did, but the sauce added a lot. It came with a bowl of rice and there were 3 large pieces of fish. Could easily feed two of me!

My companion had a chicken and mushroom stirfry dish with rice and plenty of veg, though the sauce wasnt quite as interesting as the catfish one.

Had 4 beers, that to be honest didnt touch the sides as they were tiny but did the job absorbing this hearty lunch. I would have liked a few veg in with the fish but I guess I could easily have ordered a side. Have to say the sides on the lunch menu looked tempting.

Lovely lunch, though it can be cramped when v busy, which thankfully it wasnt and another minor is the downstairs is a bit dingy for my liking. I am marking 6 for staff purely because after the initial order I always had to struggle to summon them rather then regularly checking if we needed drinks etc. They always acted in a timely manner when I asked for anything though.So...Still very fond of this place...Lunch Menu is best value which is what my 8 refers to, evening slightly less so.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Had a dish from the lunch menu that I hadn't tried before. The price was slightly steep. It was approx 3 king prawns and the same of squid, with some standard veg like carrots, onions and mange tout; as well as some more obscure veg, Chinese celery which didn't taste like celery at all (quite a good thing as I dislike cooked celery) and a thing that looked like sliced green apple, had the texture of cucumber but no seeds in the middle, and not much taste! It was served on a large bed of rice, most of which I left. The seafood was perfectly cooked, squid tender but there wasn't much flavour in the sauce. I had to add some chilli sauce and dip things in it. I liked it overall though. It also had a pork broth with betal leaf on the side which was exceptionally flavoursome.

Friday, June 28, 2013