Anchor & Hope

36 The Cut, London, SE1 8LP - View on a map

After many years trying we were at last successful in finding a table one recent summer's evening. The food did not disappoint with some innovative and well conceived dishes but nothing remarkable . The gimmick of french tumblers for wine does nothing for enjoying a decent wine and can only be to make serving and washing up easier. In addition we did not like the arrogance of one particular waiter who refused to accept that a distinctly corked bottle had anything wrong with it. Only on pressing would he change it and even then we were charged on the bill and had to make an extra efffort to get it removed. Shame about that, the rest of the service we received was was good enough but the overall food quality and experience not as special as I had hoped. We wont be rushing back.

Richard Curtis - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thirteen of us had Sunday lunch at The Anchor and Hope today. Consensus was that the food was unpleasant. Cheap ingredients. Cheap quote winter salad unquote starter followed by A Cassoulet containing too much offal and beans. Green salad comprised undressed plain lettuce. Pudding was okay.

All in all at £32 pounds set menu we felt ripped off. I cannot understand the rave reviews this place has attracted.

Cresswell - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, February 10, 2013

I absolutely love this place and think it is wonderful, I am so shocked it has had any negative reviews. Everytime I go here, I doubt that it can surpass its self, yet it always does.

A rather short menu that changes every night keeps me on my toes. Yes dishes do occasionally run out, however everything is so appetising that it matters very little.

Great wine list (and I love the small french tumblers) the bar is lovely with friendly staff. I can understand people finding the no reservation policy a pain, and the wait can feel like forever whilst sitting and smelling others food, but good company and the brilliant wine sees you through, and the food is most def worth the wait.

Emma - View all reviews by this user