Bright Courtyard

43-45 Baker Street, Marylebone, London, W1U 8EW - View on a map

Bright Courtyard Restaurant In London

I went some months ago with my six female friends. This restaurant was unknown to me and my friends. All of ordered what we usually have at Chinese restuarants but here we asked the manager for his advice. These were the best we have ever tasted.

Today we are going back 10 relatives for an enjoyable night out.

None of my guests have eaten at Bright Courtland ever. I am sure they will enjoy the food and go back later.

Sheila Majid - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Best dim sum that I have had since returning from Hong Kong. The food was tasty and well presented. Best siu long bau (Shanghai dim sum) in London. Try the avocado tempura of langoustine. Tea was quickly refilled. Service was a bit aloof but and quick. We even got a fruit platter on the house.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Fantastic food, great service and great atmosphere. Better than royal china across the road in every way! The wine is a bit over priced but have seen worse!

Jan
Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Expect terrible service! When the manager is unhelpful there is no hope! Very unpleasant experience! Should have followed the advice from other reviews.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

I was given a brand new experience for having Chinese cuisine at Bright Courtyard. I went there for afternoon tea and dim sum since it has been recommended by more than one friend and colleagues of mine, plus its convenient location attract me walking away from Saturday shopping to have a nice break.

I love the way that authentic and traditional Cantonese and Shanghainese dim sum are presented in a modern way and served in contemporary decorated dining hall. The service is also noticeably good, you don't need to wait for your teapot to be refilled. It was taken care of all the times.

I decided when I left there that I should definitly be back for dinner in the near future and surely I will psot my dinner experience here.

Rosemary
Friday, October 05, 2012

We organised a birthday lunch there the other day for less than 10 people and even though we had a confirmed reservation, they made us wait for up to ONE HOUR!! No sincere apology, no updates and no tea offered whilst we were waiting around.

We repeatedly asked whether we could have lunch in their outside area which was clearly empty but they refused to serve us there. Suddenly, after 10min, we see other guests being seated in that area. What a slap in the face!

When we mentioned that we could have gone to Royal China across the road an hour ago, they responded coldly: "Why don't you go there then!". Absolutely appalling service and attitude by the restaurant manager.

When we finally managed to get a table one hour later and ordered our food, 20 MIN LATER we were suddenly informed that many items on the menu were no longer available. Seriously?!?

We also requested ice water which we never received and when we asked for it again the waitress slammed the glasses on the table so water dripped out left and right.

Our dim sum dropped out of her hand once and it had to be replaced and food ordered never arrived but they still charged us for the food!!! They've overcharged us £30 because they didn't remove the items. When we asked for the Manager, he never bothered to come out.

What kind of restaurant is this? Arrogant staff who are inefficient, not smiling, arrogant and disorganised. No customer service skills whatsoever.

Waiters never came back to process the payment. We had to walk to the front to pay the bill. When we complained to the restaurant manager, he was arrogant as ever "But the food was good right?" You must be kidding me. Dim sum was overcooked and tasteless.

Been living in London for a while now but this was by far my worst restaurant experience EVER! Would not recommend going there - Royal China and Hakkasan are so much better! This place is a joke. Appalling service!

Monday, October 01, 2012

Having lived in HK for 7 years we've come across some good dim sum. And Bright Courtyard is up there with the very good dim sum (albeit less variety).

I'm a little surprised at some of the negative reviews, because every time we've been to the restaurant for dim sum, the service has been excellent. Hot towels and pickles once you sit down, orders for drinks taken, and the dim sum comes out fairly quickly after the order.

Royal China in Baker St and Bayswater used to be our favourites, but we find that the dim sum at Bright Courtyard is more delicate and refined. Plus not having to wait up to 45 mins for a table on a weekend is really really important. Best of all, the price of dim sum per head comes up the same, if not cheaper than what we pay at Royal China. And we eat A LOT.

I'm just really surprised that Bright Courtyard is so quiet on the weekends. That said, we've never been for dinner. They have a really really excellent dim sum chef, so perhaps their dinner or a la carte chefs are letting them down as a lot of the reviews seem to relate to dinner bookings.

Chocci
Friday, September 07, 2012

Bright Courtyard, I don't even know how to start describing my experience there.

I came there with group of Chinese tourists it was 17 of us.

We start ordering from menu, Food was over cook, dry, tasteless .

Manager was arrogant and tried to push us wines for 500 Pounds Plus. We told them we don't want it but he start pursing for other guests on the table..

When the bill came we were over charged for most of our dishes, according to menu, i pad menu and bill all three have different prices.

P.S. I went there with few friend few weeks after guess what, Same food was not tasty and AGAIN bill was INCORRECT According to i-pad menu and our bill.

Make me wonder are they like to overcharge customers ??

Mel
Tuesday, August 14, 2012

It's not often I'll do something like this but.....

Our original destination was Indali Lounge, opposite Bright Courtyard. They however had a function that night. The skies were darkening from the west so an alternative was called for and Bright Courtyard seemed a good idea.

A smiling and warm welcome, attractive surrounding, a nicely set table, all looked good.

Odd but friendly service. Our request for two glasses of (actually overpriced) Champagne was met with the bemusing "It has bubbles". Drinks having been brought, we spent time looking at the menu and deciding. Fifteen minutes later a tablet was brought to us with pictures and prices of things that may or may not have been on the printed menu. Were these someone's holiday snaps or the latest David Attenbrough nature programme? We did not know. So we stuck with our original choices.

Starters. Scallop, scallop dim sum, venison puff, all great . The chicken lettuce wrap was tasteless..

Main courses. One. The Five Spice Chicken obviously used a recipe that Col Saunders rejected because it didn't contain any spices. The the bird was sent back and was removed from the bill with no fuss.

Two. Chilli Chicken, unpleasant and small hard lumps of salty meat and chopped, dry fried chilli pods which gave no flavour to the meat at all but gave me hiccups when I chewed one by mistake. Some water would have been good at this point but I seemed to be invisible to any staff. The best part was the peanuts which says something.

Three. A beef dish the name of which I have blanked from my mind but might have been cooked in strawberry jam and onions.

Four. Plain boiled rice. Full marks here, it was plain, boiled and rice.

A glass of grim, red wine. The stemwear was nice though.

The meal was finished. The table was 80% cleared. We sat chatting for 15 minutes, and started to wonder if any of the staff would come to the table. They didn't, so having already decided that we wouldn't bother with desserts, coffees or further drinks but in no particular hurry as it was raining anyway, we decided to wait and see what happened next. After a further 40 minutes I called one of the more senior staff over, told him we'd been sitting for the best part of an hour at a partly cleared table without any indication that anyone at all cared we were there, and would now like the bill. He apologised The bill came very quickly, with the Kentucky Fried Chicken reject removed but with the 13.5% service charge intact. At my request the service charge was removed, bringing the bill to just under £100.00.

I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Simon White
Thursday, July 12, 2012

I had my wedding at Bright Courtyard recently. A small occasion on a Sunday afternoon, we had around 30 guests. I only gave the manager 5 days notice, but he fulfilled every request I made, was so unbelievably helpful even satisfying certain dietary requirements needed for our full menu.

On the day the restaurant was really really busy but the service given to us was still excellent. Now onto the main reason anyone really goes to a restaurant...the food.

Every single one of my guests just sat there and scoffed their faces for over 3 hours and no one left unsatisfied. Firstly, dim sum is outstanding, you can really tell that everything is prepared fresh and to perfecting high standards, with such things as prawn dumplings with seemingly no filler, just beautiful juicy prawn.

We had plenty of mains to such as Cantonese roast duck and crispy seafood noodle, as good as I have had anywhere.

I don't have a bad thing to say about this restaurant, the staff and especially the manager Andrew are all great, very friendly, helpful and professional. My new favourite Chinese restaurant.

M El-awel
Monday, July 02, 2012

Bellaphon

Bellaphon

Friday, September 30, 2011 - Pork shank should have been translated as pork knuckle and WTF is sea blubber...fragrant slippery tissue of an elephant seal? The chicken was as tough as my Doc Martens, the beef was too cold and under-spiced, pork was ok and the fish overwhelmed by a sickeningly sweet sauce...Although The Dim Sum lunch fared better than the doomed dinner, frankly I can't see BC lasting the distance, the concept is clueless and badly applied.