Asia de Cuba

45 St Martin's Lane, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4HX - View on a map

Asia de Cuba Restaurant In London

Beautiful restaurant and great service, presentation and cocktails! Food is good, a nice treat every now and then for the wow factor.

HG - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, February 05, 2014

I have to say, I am so confused by the negative review below! I visited Asia de Cuba with a party last weekend and loved it!

We chose the group menu 2 before coming and the food was an amazing feast to share in the center of the table. There was so much food!

And it was to die for. Such unusual combinations like the seared Ahi Tuna with green wasabi mash and the Wagyu beef short ribs are melt-in-your-mouth good!

As it happens I also ordered the Bay of Pigs dessert and thought it whimsical. It really made me feel like an excited child (it is a giant sundae shaped like a pig's head. Brilliant)!

Our server was lovely and really funny. Now, this would have been annoying if the service was sub-par, but as it is, it was just endearing. We really felt taken care of all night.

Asia de Cuba is not your traditional 5* experience. It's not stuffy! It's fun and lighthearted, lively and vibrant and, as long as you know how to have a good time, the perfect place for a delicious meal, with personality, in central London.

JayMae
Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Wife and I had dinner with a couple of friends here recently. I was appalled by the standard of the food for the price. Starters were in the £15-£25 price range. On recommendation of the waiter I opted for the deep fried calamari, 'one of the most popular dishes', at about £18 I was expecting something pretty good. What arrived was nothing more than a few fried squid on a very large bed of salad leaves...and they were cold. The other starters we all uninspiring, with the exception of the pork.

For main course - we had Steak (£31) which as someone else commented on here was fatty and unbelieveably had a piece of gristle running through it. The Black Cod - their apparent signature dish - was 1/10 when compare to similar I've had at Nobu and even in relatively modest priced restaurants... I've actually made better myself from Black Cod bought from the Japan Centre. Its not hard to get wrong and Asia de Cuba got it wrong!

The waiter was haughty and arrogant. I don't understand why waiters can be like this and why they consider themselves sufficiently accomplished to behave like this.

For dessert I order the Bay of Pigs. As soon as I laid eyes on it I said to my wife it is just like something you would expect from Wetherspoons. It was a massive mound of stuff of very average quality. A Brownlie, surrounded by a mass of average tasting ice cream, marshmallows, cheap spray cream from a can, and sickly sweet wafers. At £15 I was very surprised indeed.

Re my comment about the waiter - given it was 50th anniversary of Cuban missile crisis - I quiped something about it when ordering a dessert named 'Bay of Pigs', totally went over his head. Clearly more interested in his hair and fingernails than history books!

All in all a big bill £350, once the 15%(!!!) service charge was added. A big disappointment and all I will say for absolute certain is that we won't be returning - and I would caution others from doing the same!!

RogerH
Monday, October 22, 2012

Some girlfriends and I thought we'd hit the jackpot when we saw the 2 courses and a cocktail for £19 deal here so we booked dinner on a Thursday night to catch up.

I'm quite a forgiving diner and not a fussy eater, but the food we were presented with last night was appalling in taste, quantity and quality. 2 of the starters (scallops and tuna) were tiny (although apparently tasted ok) while my calamari was a massive mound of chopped lettuce with 4 small pieces of cold and stale fried calamari. Not to mention these arrived less than 4 minutes after ordering - suspicious.

2 of us had the steak for a main - inedible. There was a long strip of gristle and fat along one side that was like chewing rubber and the meat itself was tough and bland. The 2 fried chips and shredded slaw served with it were uninspired, cold and tiny.

Dessert was ok, but I mean, doughnuts at that price?!

Service was attentive throughout, until the end. As they took a long time to take our order in the beginning and because we were having 3 courses, we were paying the bill right on the 2 hour time limit. As soon as the waiter left we were collecting our bags and belongings when another staff member came over and said it was time for us to leave. Clearly that's what we were in the process of doing!

All the rest has been said before - music too loud, pushy table turning, 15% service charge (!!!), expensive (although on the deal it was ok however would not contemplate paying more for what we ate)... it is a very pretty venue filled with the 'in' crowd so if that's your thing you'll love it, but if you're looking for a good meal, go elsewhere.

Bexxta