Hazraj

1a-1b Fortess Road, Kentish Town, London, NW5 1AA - View on a map

the best indian food round here, imaginative munu including delcious mini puri starters with tamarind and great mains. we come here regularly for take-away or eat in the little restaurant. great serive too.

Saturday, October 06, 2012

This has become a regular treat for us. It's excellent value and wonderfully imagination dishes with healthy ingredients very much along the lines of what we discovered in India earlier this year. I'm dieting and my wife is a veggie, so we're quite picky nowadays, so it's a real treat to find a place like this within walking distance of home.

Charles
Wednesday, July 04, 2012

I went here on the off chance with my brother and had a fantastic meal - excellent menu, really tasty, friendly service, and great price. Couldn't fault it and really looking forward to going back. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Fantastic food with a very authentic flavour. Unlike most Indian restaurants in the UK the amount of clarified butter enhances the flavour rather than drowns it to mask poor quality.

Between two of us one four dish meal and one three dish meal, will leave you wonderfully satisfied but not to the point that you need to loosen you belt.

The service is unintrusive and very polite.

Value for money is second to none vs other Indian (and other cuisines) in the area.

Camden Hells beer is a great accompaniment to a curry and is supporting a local business.

Overall fantastic restaurant which is now comfortably our favourite.

One criticism would be that the spiciness of the food is a little on the mild side but the option of naga fieriness is a nice option to push up the heat.

Well done keep it up.

James & Hannah
Wednesday, June 06, 2012

I would happily be so bold as to name this my FAVOURITE Indian restaurant in London (actually, the UK!). Hazraj specialise in Mumbai Street Food which is also known as Indian Tapas and Tiffin Cuisine. I have sampled a lot of Indian cuisine in my time Hazraj got me seriously whipped into a frothy food frenzy as I scouted the menu, as so many items on there I had never ever heard of, let alone tried! And for less daring types there are still delicious versions of all the old favourites (bhaji, samosas, paratha, tikka). Hazraj pride themselves on creating healthy Indian cuisine and use very little oil & salt, which is really clear when your food arrives without a bubble of grease in sight. Relating to this I assume, I noticed quite a heavy focus on veggie options too in actual fact there were more (V)s on the menu than non vegetarian choices!

I had the chaat platter to start and it was great value for money - coming with 4 types of chaat, with ample amounts for two to get a good few gobfulls of each one! It also had incredible attention to detail - little flags pierced each one instructing how best to eat and what was included in each chaat. I thought this was a delightful notion and just one of the many ways that makes you feel like more than just another customer to.

For main courses there is an easy meal deal offer. Main, rice & naan = £8.95. Main, rice, naan & veg = £11.95. For the incredibly high quality of the food, this seems insanely cheap. I was disappointed to notice other reviewers querying portion size - as there were generous amounts of all elements leaving me almost unable to finish!

As with the starter, the food was faultless other than the fact at some point it had to end. Hazraj was such a pleasant experience above and beyond the food though. Every staff member we came into contact with was so passionate, proud and welcoming, the ambience was a buzzy but not busy (although we were there on a Monday night, I believe Fridays & Saturdays can attract a bustling queue hardly surprisingly!) and the decor created a fairy lit enchanting escape from the noise and turmoil of the busy Fortress Road outside.

Im already day dreaming about my next visit, as its an entirely guilt free experience both on the waist-line and the bank balance!

Bee
Friday, April 13, 2012

We went here last night.

The food was excellent. A really good vegetarian selection too.

The staff were really friendly. A great find and on the bus routes to Archway and Highgate for an easy journey home.

Definitely recommended.

vandr - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, April 08, 2012

I visited this restaurant with my husband after reading positive reviews. The decor is nice, tastefully done with some large features. That's where the positives end. We ordered some poppadoms and chutneys which we discovered are charged separately - and only one poppadom per serving! We started with the mixed chaat which was a massive disappointment. The puris tasted a little off - not the thin and crispy puffed balls I was expecting. The sauce was the same for each of the dishes so was altogether dull and very disappointing.

While we were waiting for our main course tiffins (£11.95 for not a great deal of food), we heard the unmistakable whirring and pinging of a microwave. If a restaurant is going to have the gall to serve food heated up in a microwave, it should at least position the machine where customers cannot hear it!

The food was nothing short of awful. I had the roadside chicken which was tough and the sauce was too sweet and not at all spicy (despite being advised by the waiter that it had a medium spice). My husband's railside lamb was fatty and tasteless. The rice was dry - it was advertised with mushrooms but there were none in sight - zapped by the microwave perhaps. The naan was very chewy and clearly not fresh.

Altogether a real disappointment for what seemed like a great idea for a novel Indian restaurant. At £25 per head, it is far from cheap. To charge for extra chillies in an Indian restaurant is an outrage. We won't be returning. One to avoid.

The Howards
Tuesday, April 03, 2012

After reading the reviews on here, a group of 4 of us went to Hazraj last week. It was such a disappointment. The service was awful (slow, and bizarrely they refused to give us bottled water). Then the food - what a shame. I am Indian and I just could not believe how little spice was in the dishes. They are described as "medium" but in reality they are extra mild - there was hardly any spice whatsoever. I was absolutely outraged that they charge 30p & 50p for extra chilli/heat. What sort of credible restaurant do that? Very amateur. To add to the misery of the food was the high levels of salt. Everything, especially the main courses, were far too salty. All 4 of us were left gasping for drinks after the meal. Horrible! The bill was rather high as the wine list is massively marked up (only the house bottle is available for less than £20, and all the wine is cheap stuff). Finally, there is only one toilet for all guests downstairs which needless to say is woefully inadequate. Such a shame we had a bad experience - I will not be returning. I am honestly mystified why the reviews on here are so good - perhaps they were written by friends or family!

Pam Taak
Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hugely recommend Hazraj. The food is in a different league to most Indian restaurants in London - much more authentic, less oily and with really delicate flavours.

It's unbelievably good value too for the quality and quantity. A real local gem - we'll be making it our regular.

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Been to Hazraj a few times and never been disappointed. The food is pretty decent and most importantly not swimming in oil. Much more like proper Indian food i'd eat at home. Chaats are very good but the best part is definitely the chai lattes and the various tea flavours. Definitely the best chai latte I've found in london thus far. not to mention, the food is an absolute bargain!

The owners and staff are particularly affable.

Ro C