The Bull

13 North Hill, Highgate, London, N6 4AB - View on a map

The Bull Restaurant In London

TimeOut

TimeOut - 3/5

Monday, September 05, 2011 - The pub was recently reopened by Dan Fox, previously manager of the White Horse in Parson's Green, one of the finest alehouses in London. And the selection of bought-in beers - both on tap and in bottle - is fantastic...Food at The Bull is a big part of the offer, and also shows an influence from over the pond - although the stridently sticky, carb-rich, sweet and smoky elements of classic American cooking have been toned down and gastropubbed up for the Highgate crowd. So there is pulled pork with pineapple and jalapeno; buffalo wings; Maryland crab cakes; salmon with succotash (corn and beans) and striploin steak.

I SO want to love the Bull. However the last 2 times I was there the service was excruciatingly slow, despite the place being virtually empty both times. When I went in with a friend for an early dinner and said we only had 1.5 hours for dinner so we could make a West End show, we were greeted with a smile and a menu. After half an hour of being ignored we walked out and had a very nice quick meal at the pub opposite.

The last straw was when I took an important client there for lunch. We both had about an hour for lunch but could be a bit flexible. I told the "greeter" that we were were there for lunch. After 35 minutes she took our order, but only because I went to find her behind the bar because I assumed she had forgotten about us, despite the empty restaurant. My guest and I both ordered the recommended soup of the day, but that took 40 minutes to arrive. After sitting for a further hour and a half in front of our empty soup bowls, our main course was finally brought. It took no less than THREE HOURS for a two course business lunch at the Bull. As I was the host, I was incredibly embarrassed. NEVER AGAIN!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

We celebrated our son's wedding at the Bull. So we rented the whole place on Friday July 12, 2013. Dan and his staff really made this day for all arround 150 guests, coming from over 15 countries (a.o. Belgium, Isral, Australia, China, Norway, Turkey, Italy, Spain...) to an unforgettable experience. Superb food and drinks, perfect service, top DJ, very good atmosphere. I only can firmly recommend this pub.

Stan Schoonbaert, Antwerp, Belgium. - View all reviews by this user
Monday, August 12, 2013

Good Highgate pub, worth the walk up the hill. They make their own beer on site which is about 3 quid, great price for this area of London. Great food, we had to wait a bit as it was nearly 9pm on a Saturday night, but the waitress gave us some free olives to say sorry.

Really good night had by all in the group.

Henri Danlow
Wednesday, September 05, 2012

As locals we visit this pub three or four times a month. I think some of the below reviews have been written by customers who perhaps should not be allowed out to visit decent pubs, let alone bless Highgate with their presence, so they did make me chuckle.

The food is bloody great, and the beer range is unrivalled in Highgate. Although saying that, they are out of quite a few bottled beers at the moment as they are updating their list we were told.

We visited on Friday 24th and was very pleased to see a new London Brewing beer on the ale pumps. We had fish and chips and a burger, both standard pub dishes but were fantastic. It was a busy night and the food came quickly, and the girls that served us were in high spirits.

The only thing that put a slight downer on the evening was the group of five or six very young people sitting outside that were a bit boisterous and swearing and had to be asked to leave as staff noticed them. Please don't become like certain *other* pubs in the village, we come to The Bull to leave the 18 year olds at home!

Good food, great service, even better beer!

JHanlow - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, August 26, 2012

although the beer is of good quality and a good price the service was extremely poor and certain members of staff were very rude.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Me and my husband eat here allot. We come for the good food and the excellent choice of beer, especially the Hawaiian beers which are well worth a try. The food is always good and the specials are always diverse and changing. When we brought our children they where well look after with crayons and an excellent child's menu. However, though the food and drink is sublime I strongly recommend avoiding. Go if you want to watch the management belittle, ridicule and bully the waiters and bar team. The rude comments, the barked orders and the uncouth manner in which the pub was run has put us off. The sheer magnitude of unprofessionalism was enough to make us feel uncomfortable and sorry for the poor staff that served with a smile and got harassed at every turn. Clearly the management had no issues in swearing at a member of his team in front of the customers, Reading the comments we are not alone in this belief. It's a real shame we dine here often but after a particular ugly experience, which was not the food or the drink but the management being unpleasant, has put us off. This was not the first occasion it was the last straw for us.

So if you like food and good beer go but be prepared to witness rudeness and crassness which is unforgivable and off putting.

You think I am over exaggerating? Go and witness it for yourself. It really is shocking.
View/Add comments (1)