The Bull

13 North Hill, Highgate, London, N6 4AB - View on a map

The Bull Restaurant In London

TimeOut - 3/5

Monday, September 05, 2011 - The pub was recently reopened by Dan Fox, previously manager of the White Horse in Parson's Green, one of the finest alehouses in London. And the selection of bought-in beers - both on tap and in bottle - is fantastic...Food at The Bull is a big part of the offer, and also shows an influence from over the pond - although the stridently sticky, carb-rich, sweet and smoky elements of classic American cooking have been toned down and gastropubbed up for the Highgate crowd. So there is pulled pork with pineapple and jalapeno; buffalo wings; Maryland crab cakes; salmon with succotash (corn and beans) and striploin steak.

I SO want to love the Bull. However the last 2 times I was there the service was excruciatingly slow, despite the place being virtually empty both times. When I went in with a friend for an early dinner and said we only had 1.5 hours for dinner so we could make a West End show, we were greeted with a smile and a menu. After half an hour of being ignored we walked out and had a very nice quick meal at the pub opposite.

The last straw was when I took an important client there for lunch. We both had about an hour for lunch but could be a bit flexible. I told the "greeter" that we were were there for lunch. After 35 minutes she took our order, but only because I went to find her behind the bar because I assumed she had forgotten about us, despite the empty restaurant. My guest and I both ordered the recommended soup of the day, but that took 40 minutes to arrive. After sitting for a further hour and a half in front of our empty soup bowls, our main course was finally brought. It took no less than THREE HOURS for a two course business lunch at the Bull. As I was the host, I was incredibly embarrassed. NEVER AGAIN!

Sunday, January 12, 2014