The Oyster Shed

Ground Floor, 5 Angel Lane, City, London, EC4R 3AB - View on a map

The Oyster Shed Restaurant In London

As it is just down the road from my mates work in the city he suggested it as a convenient place to meet and the location, although hidden away, is great. Not many places have the benefit of a riverside view and unless you fancy joining the tourists down on the south bank it is a real plus.

For a wednesday lunchtime it seemed reasonably busy and certainly gave a good vibe as i walked in to see plenty of people either tucking into some lunch or at the bar drinking. Something that always makes me happy is a decent choice of real ales and i wasn't disappointed here. The barman let me know that the cheekily named "Naked Ladies" from the Twickenham brewery was the best in his opinion if i liked a hoppier beer and he was spot on.

My friend arrived soon after and we moved to a free table to sit down. A waiter came over soon after we had sat down and asked if we were looking for anything to eat, gave us some menus to look at and pointed out the specials board to us. We both ordered the burger with cheese and bacon and a top up for our drinks. The food arrived in good time and was served on chunky boards to match the equally chunky chips. The burger was nice and juicy and just what was needed after a pint or two.

Although i was stuffed my mate tucked into the cheeseboard and a large glass of merlot, whilst I nursed another pint of bitter. As it was quietening down we had a good chat with our waiter who said we should stay until the evening when it would start to get busy again but unfortunately this time we had to take a pass. However, we did promise to come back for a night out another day to our waiter as he said goodbye on our way out.

All in all a good lunch and a pint out; the staff were all friendly, the food was tasty and the atmosphere was great. Can't wait to come back when the sun is out and have another burger by the Thames.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Embarrassingly bad. It started with the nervous sweaty waiter telling us that the guinnes (sic) and oyster pie listed on the menu should actually be the beef, oyster and guinness pie and that it was scrumptious. He asked us what drinks we wanted. When we asked for gin and tonic, we were told they could only do slimline tonic. Eugh. We ordered the carpaccio of tuna as a starter. We got cat food on a plate. Seriously, It was vile. All credit to the waiter, he was mortified and took it away. For main courses, people ordered the lamb burger with chilli jelly and "Mum's chips". It arrived without the chilli jelly and without Mum's chips. The chilli jelly and Mums chips had run out, although we had booked in advance and only three tables out of eight were occupied (guess that says it all). The wine was Albarino, the worst version that I have drunk and just barely ok. We were offered a pudding menu but all decided not to bother. Added to this, the restaurant sits above a noisy crowded bar and is nothing like the peaceful, cosy pictures presented on the website. All in all, I now understand why the waiter was sweaty and nervous. Avoid this restaurant at all costs.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Really bad service and the platters were very dissapointing. Manageress was not helpful and just simply shrugged her shoulders when we complained. Avoid!

Mary
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Service sucks.

The Oyster shed has the capability to be one of the best chill out bars in london however the one thing i can not get my head around is the service.

For a week day lunch or a monday / tuesday evening its great, the thing is noone seems to have told the complete morons behind the bar that the quicker they serve the higher their turnover.

It generally takes 20-30 minutes to get served on an average thursday evening or one where the sun is out.

If the staff realised it is actually possible to ask the next punter what they would like whilst waiting for the card reader to connect instead of staring in to space this place could be alot more successful.

it is no doubt a good location but i for one am sick of the poor service and unless this changes they will continue to loose customers like myself.

Not worth recomending unless you like a looooooong wait for a drink.

Friday, August 03, 2012

I had lunch at the Oyster Shed and was very disappointed. My "duck salad with pomegranate" consisted of some thinly sliced grilled duck, which was nice, but the salad part was horrible. Lettuce leaves with corn, peas and pomegranate. The peas and corn were horrible and really didn't go with the pomegranate (nor belong in a salad, I'd say). It was like they were being too cheap and too lazy to put in some other fresh ingredients like cucumber that would more typically be in a salad like this.

It was quite small and when I order bread to make it more substantial I was just given bread with no butter or olive oil to go with it. For two salads and two ciders it was £33 - really over priced for what it was. We won't be going back to eat at the Oyster Shed.

Saturday, May 05, 2012