The Oyster Shed

Ground Floor, 5 Angel Lane, City, London, EC4R 3AB - View on a map

The Oyster Shed Restaurant In London

As it is just down the road from my mates work in the city he suggested it as a convenient place to meet and the location, although hidden away, is great. Not many places have the benefit of a riverside view and unless you fancy joining the tourists down on the south bank it is a real plus.

For a wednesday lunchtime it seemed reasonably busy and certainly gave a good vibe as i walked in to see plenty of people either tucking into some lunch or at the bar drinking. Something that always makes me happy is a decent choice of real ales and i wasn't disappointed here. The barman let me know that the cheekily named "Naked Ladies" from the Twickenham brewery was the best in his opinion if i liked a hoppier beer and he was spot on.

My friend arrived soon after and we moved to a free table to sit down. A waiter came over soon after we had sat down and asked if we were looking for anything to eat, gave us some menus to look at and pointed out the specials board to us. We both ordered the burger with cheese and bacon and a top up for our drinks. The food arrived in good time and was served on chunky boards to match the equally chunky chips. The burger was nice and juicy and just what was needed after a pint or two.

Although i was stuffed my mate tucked into the cheeseboard and a large glass of merlot, whilst I nursed another pint of bitter. As it was quietening down we had a good chat with our waiter who said we should stay until the evening when it would start to get busy again but unfortunately this time we had to take a pass. However, we did promise to come back for a night out another day to our waiter as he said goodbye on our way out.

All in all a good lunch and a pint out; the staff were all friendly, the food was tasty and the atmosphere was great. Can't wait to come back when the sun is out and have another burger by the Thames.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Embarrassingly bad. It started with the nervous sweaty waiter telling us that the guinnes (sic) and oyster pie listed on the menu should actually be the beef, oyster and guinness pie and that it was scrumptious. He asked us what drinks we wanted. When we asked for gin and tonic, we were told they could only do slimline tonic. Eugh. We ordered the carpaccio of tuna as a starter. We got cat food on a plate. Seriously, It was vile. All credit to the waiter, he was mortified and took it away. For main courses, people ordered the lamb burger with chilli jelly and "Mum's chips". It arrived without the chilli jelly and without Mum's chips. The chilli jelly and Mums chips had run out, although we had booked in advance and only three tables out of eight were occupied (guess that says it all). The wine was Albarino, the worst version that I have drunk and just barely ok. We were offered a pudding menu but all decided not to bother. Added to this, the restaurant sits above a noisy crowded bar and is nothing like the peaceful, cosy pictures presented on the website. All in all, I now understand why the waiter was sweaty and nervous. Avoid this restaurant at all costs.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Really bad service and the platters were very dissapointing. Manageress was not helpful and just simply shrugged her shoulders when we complained. Avoid!

Mary
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Service sucks.

The Oyster shed has the capability to be one of the best chill out bars in london however the one thing i can not get my head around is the service.

For a week day lunch or a monday / tuesday evening its great, the thing is noone seems to have told the complete morons behind the bar that the quicker they serve the higher their turnover.

It generally takes 20-30 minutes to get served on an average thursday evening or one where the sun is out.

If the staff realised it is actually possible to ask the next punter what they would like whilst waiting for the card reader to connect instead of staring in to space this place could be alot more successful.

it is no doubt a good location but i for one am sick of the poor service and unless this changes they will continue to loose customers like myself.

Not worth recomending unless you like a looooooong wait for a drink.

Friday, August 03, 2012

I had lunch at the Oyster Shed and was very disappointed. My "duck salad with pomegranate" consisted of some thinly sliced grilled duck, which was nice, but the salad part was horrible. Lettuce leaves with corn, peas and pomegranate. The peas and corn were horrible and really didn't go with the pomegranate (nor belong in a salad, I'd say). It was like they were being too cheap and too lazy to put in some other fresh ingredients like cucumber that would more typically be in a salad like this.

It was quite small and when I order bread to make it more substantial I was just given bread with no butter or olive oil to go with it. For two salads and two ciders it was £33 - really over priced for what it was. We won't be going back to eat at the Oyster Shed.

Saturday, May 05, 2012

Sounds amazing. We went after dark so could not be so amazed at the sight of the Thames as you were. We had food ,just pies, but they were truly amazing, As was the service. I was, as you were, in awe of the loos, urinals ,wash basin, flushing w.c.s and cubicles,soap too I believe, awesome, but I don't remember the view from the loos, perhaps you could elaborate on what you saw when you were down there.

Johnny Grotes
Friday, February 24, 2012

People say everyone experiences 10 minutes of fame but I experienced a whole good hour or more yesterday at Oyster Shed. Being a winner of their competition for their catch of day I know I can be quite bias but will try and be honest as possible.

Firstly it was in an amazing location, beside the Thames with an amazing view of the Shard. Inside was wooden but held a very modern quirky feel to it with the stripy coloured atmosphere. Although it was a big venue the little comfy seatings made you cosy and comfortable to get into with the candles in the middle especially when I was greeted by such wonderful staff who led the way with a choice of seats to offer. Service was perfect. My meal was free yet I was respected like a celebrity. They all knew their dishes well when questioned.

If you do go you're basically dealing with staff who would give their winner guest everything they wanted on the menu on them. My prize was a bottle of house wine and catch of the day but they ended changing it basically everything I wanted which we ended up getting a fishermans' board for a starter to share, their grilled salmon with smoked bacon and bean stew, Steak and Oyster Shed pie. They even threw in four oysters for me and my mum, any soft drinks and a side of their 'mum chips'. We were really spoiled and everything was dealt with a smile. I ended up feeling quite guilty.

Service was quick too. My fishmonger's board & oysters soon arrived beautifully presented. Oysters tasted amazing with the red vinegar given. They were fresh, juicy and plump. I will completely recommend. On the board the fried cod and fish fingers were quite disappointing. Too much batter and fish quite dry. The fish cakes may have been overdone but was beautiful in flavour. However the pickled cabbage with seabass was amazing! Silky textures like sashimi but actually cooked, perfectly pickled making it very appetising and slightly bouncy meat. It was very tasty. The salmon was also very fresh and had a great texture of bounciness too. They were both a pleasure to enjoy. With it were also a pot of small prawns and bread accompanied with tartare sauce which were also fine.

Next up were the salmon and pie. I'm afraid the salmon was overdone making it quite dry again but it was seasoned perfectly and loved the smoky bacon on to add that extra crunch & texture to the dish. It also added in that kick of flavour. The beans were in a really good basic tomato sauce which was just what was needed to add moisture to the dish and rounded everything up quite well. Just needed flavour I suppose, My pie however was too salty and very bland. Probably the least best of them all. It was also overdone so that puff pastry top lost it light and fluffiness and meat was gritty and very dry. However the pie was massive, probably two pies there so they were generous. The filing was also filled to the top with perfect ratio of sauce and meat. But not everything was bad with the pie. Inside was an oyster (although they said two) which they placed just before the pie finished baking. That was like finding diamond in a coal mine as it was deliciously moist, soaked up the beef stock making it very flavoursome. The side dish of buttered cabbage now if I dare say it, moreish. Steamed perfectly it held onto its moisture and buttered to give it that light buttery creaminess to it. It was vegetables made into a dessert! I probably won't order the dish again but still very edible.

During our meal we were offered side plates for sharing and continuously excellent service. Our waiter was amazing but then again all of them were. Chips were perfectly fried, perfectly crisped and held onto its fluffiness inside served in a plant pot. Sauces were served in mini jars which just got itself another presentation star.

Now just when we were finished and thought that was where our prize got us they even threw in desserts. This was no longer just a competition prize but royalty treatment. Apple pie with custard and treacle tart with clotted cream were our choice. I'm afraid the apple pie was also another disappointment with the crust being floppy and apple quite bland. Worth £6.50 it wasn't cheap either. However we still finished it was it didn't taste bad, just tasteless. My treacle tart however was lovely. Served with clotted cream made it just perfect as it added that creaminess to it without ruining the soft warm smooth texture to it like ice-cream would have done and without taking its original flavour away like custard. Generously portioned too.

Yes food was a hit and miss but for a place to relax after a hard days work with a few oysters drink a board to share with chips, definitely a yes. Even the loos are awesome where there is a lift that takes you down. Great view, great service, great atmosphere. My fame started here and ends here.

Lamchowder - View all reviews by this user