BAKU

164 Sloane Street, Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 9QB - View on a map

BAKU Restaurant In London

City AM

City AM

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - The tandir sturgeon we had was small and the flavour we'd expected (perhaps wrongly based on experiences eating Indian food) was not apparent; the sturgeon from the grill, served with pomegranate molasses, was also small. The 'beef turshu govurma' was an amazingly tender, fatty bowl of rib-eye slow-cooked and servied with onion, plum and chestnut...So I recommend dropping by Baku for drinks. For an authentic taste of Baku, though, I fear you may need to go elsewhere.

This Is London

Fay Maschler - 2/5

Thursday, January 12, 2012 - From the section entitled To Share From the Tandir, we choose Chicken Lavangi with walnut stuffing. For 27.50 this turns out be a poussin smaller than an adult's fist, where the lack of flavour for which such birds are notorious finds no compensation in bitter minced walnuts. Piti, 'a must-try Azerbaijani lamb stew', at 18.50 contains fatty meat bulked out with chickpeas. Choban salad at 8.50 is the sort of mix of chopped tomato, onion and cucumber often provided as garnish for grills in Indian restaurants and is served in roughly that quantity. To be fair, a couple of extra items were 'gifted' but since we didn't pay for them, I won't comment. The dessert of pomegranate and rose souffle was tart and very pretty.

Love the food and the decor. The bar upstairs is really cosy and they have great DJs, shame about the atmosphere. I been there like 5 times now and there is always only few people. I guess most people dont know this place yet.

UneArmenienneaLondres
Saturday, April 21, 2012

Booked using the "two courses for £18" offer - I ended up choosing this option whilst my wife sensibly avoided this and ended up with far better food.

Staff are friendly.

Decor is akin to cross between a lady-that-lunches type place and a Turkish drug dealers pad - odd & flashy in parts, yet had some nice touches.

They bring out a martini glass with fresh herbs, cucumber and red/yellow tomatoes along with some delicius bread - a nice touch.

The sturgeon tasted/smelt "fishy" which there really is no excuse for.

The beef dish with fruit and very good rice was the standout.

The bill was strangely laid out (set menu at zero charge and an unconsumed glass of wine at the same charge as a food item) - my advice is to carefully check the bill should you go.

Overall, better food than I expected with very friendly service. Both Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay have failed in this location before and I suspect this place will burn money before closing in 18 months time - but I hope I'm wrong.

It was raining hard and they gave us an umbrella - I wish them the best.

Coops
Monday, February 20, 2012

Went to Baku twice now. It is a nice place. The decor is subtle maybe lacking a bit of colour. The food is gorgeous and once you have been guided by the very knowledgeable staff (makes a changes to other restaurant in the neighbourhood) you understand a bit more about Azerbaijani food. The portion can be for some of the dishes on the small side but all are delicious. The drink list and wine list is well chosen and do not forget to make a stop at their bar before or after dinner were the atmosphere is great. Will go back for sure.

Freddy Tholstrup
Thursday, February 16, 2012

Had an amazing meal last night, it was the first time I tried Azerbaijani food and I love it. I have the Caspian sea bass, highly recommend it. Also had 2 different cocktails, can't remember the names but they were delicious. We will definately be going here again.

Lotta - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, December 22, 2011

Food is great but a bit expensive, friendly staff apart from the manager who seemed to be cocky. Overall it was a good evening.

Esra