Bistrotheque

23-27 Wadeson Street, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9DR - View on a map

Bistrotheque Restaurant In London

Good but not great. Good things - service was good, atmosphere was lively, the room is large & attractive, and the food (pancakes with blueberries and mascarpone) was perfectly decent. Not so good things - rather uninspiring menu - brunch menu was quite extensive but main menu largely consisted of burgers, fish & chips and other standards (and apparently doesn't change often); they're a bit cheap - the pancakes didn't come with maple syrup (?!) so we asked for some, and then a £1.50 charge appeared on the bill for each little pot; the room was badly ventilated - cooking fumes permeate the restaurant so that the clothes I wore still reek of brunch, and we eventually had to leave because my friend's eyes were stinging; but the most annoying thing? The restaurant is not signposted. It's on the first floor of a converted building and you have to walk off the main street into a kind of alcove, go through a door off the alcove into the building then walk around a corridor to the right and go up to the first floor. At no point is there any indication that a restaurant exists in the building. Nothing. Nada. Not outside the building, not inside the building. This is irritating and pretentious.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

I'll go back over and over again. Great place.

Sam - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, December 12, 2012

This place certainly has the wow factor. Very discreet entrance, which we did walk past first time. Its not signposted so look out for the white walls with nice lighting. Greeted by lovely waiter who allowed us to eat 30 mins before our table was booked for. The brunch menu was amazing and I wanted to order everything. But opted for the burger which looked amazing on the website. It was gorgeous, and came with loads of extras. Massive!!! The venue is incredible and I was very impressed. I will be back!!! Lovely waiting staff by the way, real sweet.

R Morse