MEATliquor

76 Welbeck Street, Marylebone, London, W1G 0BA - View on a map

MEATliquor Restaurant In London

Telegraph

Zoe Williams

Sunday, February 12, 2012 - If I'd known it would be an hour and a half, on a freezing Tuesday night in January, between joining it and sitting down...well, I still would have done it. But I did it so you don't have to...Then the burgers arrived. M and I had chilli cheese. C had a plain cheeseburger. They were monumentally succulent, the chilli actually worked in this context, the cheese was mild but not characterless, the bun was, well, perfectly bunnish. There probably isn't a better burger to be had in London for 6.50.

Foodepedia

Foodepedia

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - It provokes all the right stirrings. The breathing deepens, the arteries bulge, and a whack of full meaty flavour is released upon your chops. The Chilli Cheese Burger is just as pleasing. There is also a Bacon Cheese Burger and a Double Bubble Double Cheese Burger. Again, the thick agglomeration of meat, like Discobolus' discus, is held by two cosy buns. I fire it up further with splashes of Dave's Hot Sauce and it rips a hole through my gob and brings tears to my eyes. I take another large bite and almost soil myself.

+ Show more critic reviews

Meat Liquor is a great place to eat and hangout with friends. The best burgers in London are served up with fried pickles, onion rings, and many more delicious items. No reservations, so you will have to compete with others for a table.

anna - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, September 03, 2014

As I've said before, it's not for everyone. Personally, I love it and if we're ever in the area, we usually end up here for a few cocktails and trays of messy, delicious dive bar dishes. Their burgers still make my London top ten list and my partner can't get enough of their hot sauced chicken wings and Philly cheesesteak. It's not fancy, it's probably not even the best burger in town, but you'll leave happy, full and drunk, with enough cash left over for a cab home.

-K- - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The whole queue thing would be fun if it was worth the wait, but after standing outside for an hour we then get let in and told there is a further 20 minute wait inside. The environment is horrendous, best described as 'abattoir themed' all red and black and dark. The music is too loud and the table we were sat at was so dirty my friend ran a napkin along it which was covered in thick black grease about cm thick. The greasy food comes on a tray, no plates. We ordered two desserts, only one came despite being charged for both. The waitress plops it down and says 'we didn't have any clean spoons' and literally runs away! Hilariously terrible service. If you want an amazing burger try Goodman, or Riding House Cafe, or Christ even Byron. Save yourself the bother.

Burger lover
Sunday, October 20, 2013

Revolting. We had: Fried Pickles, Chilli Cheese Fries, Bacon Cheese Burger, Dead Hippie Burger, Slaw and Chicken Wings...(1) Fried Pickles were cut so thin and coated in so much batter that it was just like eating a big stick of fried batter; all grease, no flavour, (2) Chilli Cheese Fries were actually unpleasant - tasted very SOUR (why!?), with dry bland chilli, (3) Bacon Cheese Burger patty was tasteless and dry as was the bun, (4) Dead Hippie Burger was tasteless, (5) Slaw tasted overpoweringly of black pepper - really unpleasant, (6) Chicken wings were very, very bland despite being advertised as being covered in hot sauce.

Add to that that when the bill came, an extra £1 'voluntary' charity donation had been added to it - W-T-Actual-F?! Absolutely bizarre to add anything to the bill that someone has not even been asked about, yet alone actively agreed to. Cheeky... If they'd just asked I would have probably donated in excess of that but, given the fact they had to cheek to just add something to my bill, I asked them to remove it - which was clearly a chore for the poor poser of a so-called waiter.

Then there's the place itself; music is way too loud to talk with your friends over your meal, the lights way too dark to the point you need to squint to see the menu, and the decor is just cheesy and cringe-worthy...Would have probably been quite cool in upper-east-side-New-York around the beginning of the 2000's but here and now, its just absolutely cringe - trying very hard to be cool and failing spectacularly.

I would only go here for novelty....

"Have you ever wondered what it would be like to eat dinner at a squat party?...Then check out Meat Liquor for that contrived squat-themed restaurant experience you've been missing!"

Owners should be embarrassed.
View/Add comments (2)

Warren - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, October 08, 2013

I really like Meat Liquor. The food never disappoints and I love the music that they play (I find it odd that people complain about noise levels - there are plenty of places to eat that are either silence zones or peddle muzak if either is more your thing). It was busy on Saturday night, but no unbearably so, and the service really seemed to have picked up since our last visit: it was friendly, smiley and much less self-consciously cool. The food is great value, but I do think they lay it on thick with drinks prices (though cocktails are ok value) and do naughty things like automatically dole out huge measures for spirits without checking with you first. But if you're not drinking you really can't complain about your bill, and it still feels like a very cool place to eat, especially for this part of town.

whipped - View all reviews by this user
Monday, August 19, 2013

The first time I went (back in autumn 2012), it was a revelation. The bacon cheeseburger I ordered was the best I had ever had. I went back the other day and the story was rather different. The same burger I ordered was dry, pretty tasteless and evidently overcooked. The first visit was during an off-peak period, the second when it was rammed, so I can only assume that the chef this time was overworked and took his eye off the ball. This place is still great (the onion rings remain memorable) and I will certainly be going back but don't let the hype blind you to the fact that clearly they do sometimes get it a bit wrong.

Alex
Sunday, June 09, 2013

Eaten here loads of times.

Positives - One of the best burgers anywhere. Fantastic fries. Great onion rings. Great value for money.

Negatives - Sometimes have to wait for a table. Trying too hard to be trendy. Interior looks like a Satanists squat. Staff appears to be more interested in fashion than actually serving. Have to eat off trays using kitchen roll.

If you are a burger lover, don't worry about the negatives and just go there. If not, then it is probably not your cup of tea.

NicZ - View all reviews by this user
Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I joined the queue for Meat Liquor at 8pm on Wednesday night and had it not been for my boyfriend's insistence (and his birthday) I wouldn't have bothered. We waited around 1.5 hours to get to the front of the queue only to be told at that point that we had to wait longer at the bar for our table. Two cocktails later and we eventually got a seat - slap bang in the middle of two other couples. I could hardly see the menu or hear to have a conversation. When the food came it could have been the best burger and chips in the world and I wouldn't have cared - I had completely lost my appetite. Plus the fact that it was served on a tray with no plate, I couldn't see what I was eating and we had kitchen roll (classy) to mop up the grease, really put the nail in the coffin for me. Now, perhaps I'm not Meat Liquor's target customer. But I fail to see how anyone can justify waiting 2 hours for something similar to what they serve in 3 minutes at burger king (really). So unless you're a burger connoisseur and literally live for this stuff or can visit the place during off peak times - I would recommend giving it a wide berth.

Friday, August 03, 2012

Zoe Williams review (linked above) nails it.

The burgers are excellent, really excellent, but the less said about the house “hot” sauce, the better - a small bowl of disappointing sub-Tabasco heat-level vinegary rubbish. Finally it took us 15 minutes to pay when there was a massive queue outside, makes you wonder if they’re deliberately keeping the queues long or are just understaffed

Everything else about Meat Liquor is pretty contrived. From beer only available in cans, the wine in jam jars, the notch-too-low lighting and the several-notches-too-loud music. Trying too hard to be edgy – just let the food speak for itself

Think I’ll give Meat Market in Covent Garden a go next time – if it’s just the great burgers without the schtick then it’ll be great.

Gethin - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Great food, though the green chillies in the burger were a little bitter.

Would totally go again but I certainly wouldn't queue - we walked straight in at 6...

John - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bellaphon

Bellaphon

Thursday, December 08, 2011 - Yes, vegetarians can eat here. The halloumi burger was succulent, delicious even. The onion rings looked like enormous stacks of doughnuts. The beer batter was the right combination of fluffy and crisp...By now the kitchen had caught up and Les got a burger. He wasn't that impressed, said it wasn't seasoned enough and not medium rare...I would return for the food, but restaurants like this are for those in their 20s to early 30s. You'd need a stun gun to get me back there.

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 9/10

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - The fact they can still come up with the goods on a much larger scale with such a high level of consistency is delightful, perhaps, but it's not news. But let me just tell you about one more thing - the Buffalo Chicken Burger. Deep-fried chicken breast coated in some kind of crunchy batter, soaked in the Buffalo sauce, smothered in mayo and encased in those same glossy, firm rolls, it is unbelievably good...MEATLiquor isn't for everyone - it's noisy, brash, calculatedly seedy and, just like #MEATEASY, there's a good chance you'll have to queue. It's also completely and utterly brilliant. I'd say that was worth a bit of a wait, wouldn't you?