Roka (Charlotte St)

37 Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 1RR - View on a map

Roka (Charlotte St) Restaurant In London

Overall disappointed with Roka - Sunday brunch menu didn't suit us at all and had we been advised it would be a buffet (self service starters) would never have considered it. The fatty meat starters were cold and chewy the soup tasteless and the rest below average. The main course I chose (sea bream) was pleasant but small and had it not been for the steamed rice (which was a secret we had to beg for) I would have left the restaurant hungry .... Never a good feeling after spending £140 for 2. On a positive note the wine was ok and the dessert pleasing but on the whole not good enough to warrant a second visit ever.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Went last night to the restaurant in London and had a brilliant night, it was by far the bet meal that I have eaten. Always been a bit of a sceptic about sushi but it is the best and would highly recommend it to anyone, meal of a lifetime.

Wendy Harvey
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Disappointed by the whole dining experience and wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, even though the food was delicious and flavoursome.

We went downstairs for pre dinner drinks at Shochu bar, as we arrived an hour early. We were sat at a table and advised we had an 8pm booking. We weren't offered to order any snacks prior to our meal - which I found strange. We had to enquire twice if our table was ready and at 8:15pm finally taken up to our table - makes me wonder would we have been standing waiting for 15 minutes upstairs?

When we sat at the (far corner) table we decided to order the premium tasting menu as it provided a nice mix of food options from the menu including the Black Cod. The first 4 or 5 dishes were beautifully presented on a large dish filled with ice as they were served cold. When we had finished all of the items the dish was taken away. A few minutes later the grilled Scallop arrived, timed perfectly. After we ate the scallops, then the disappointment started - we felt like it was a rushed job to get us out the door with several plates of hot food getting cold on the table, we had to ask them to hold off on bringing more food immediately only to be told that was the last of the main dishes. 4 hot dishes on our table was way too much food to be on the table at the same time from a tasting menu. The food became cool and felt like we were being rushed through our meal. Ended up having to say do not bring the desserts until we ask - this is really poor form from a restaurant that offers a tasting menu.

On top of this the waiter cleared my plate before my boyfriend had finished eating - this is not how service should be, again adding to the rushed feeling.

I had high hopes for Roka but the restaurant's attitude was not up to scratch and the overall experience of dining there was so disappointing. The staff in the dining area provided good service, apart from clearing of my dish as mentioned about, and they were fairly attentative - shame the attitude of the restaurant for a tasting menu isn't one dish at a time - which it is at many restaurants that offer a tasting menu.

Steph
Friday, December 14, 2012

London Eater

London Eater

Monday, March 15, 2010 - I actually really love this place. I love the concept of it and I think the food is lip smackingly brilliant. Aside from a few duds on the menu, I think Roka is a prime example of an exceptional highly evolved, highly produced and eerily pretentious restaurant that so epitomises modern metropolitan classiness. It is a tad cheaper than the other stripped down elegant Japanese inspired brand with a gimmicky roasting machine - a wood-fire oven at Nobu Berkeley in place of a robata. If I had to choose, I would choose Roka over and over again. I highly recommend it if you have money to throw around.

A Girl Has To Eat

A Girl Has To Eat - 7/10

Friday, March 12, 2010 - The food menu is full of choices, but it's always hard to pass up on a black cod marinated in yuzu (a citrus fruit) miso and homemade hajikami (ginger pickled in vinegar). This was a lovely rendition of the classic Nobu dish, with the cod being succulent and flaky. It oozed with lots of sweet, slightly sticky yuzu miso sauce...We also had a quail marinated in plum wine and red miso where the slight tartness of the plum flavour worked well with the miso to give the quail a lovely finish. However the quail was slightly dry and a touch less time on the grill would have left it moister.