The Chancery

9 Cursitor Street, Clerkenwell, London, EC4A 1LL - View on a map

The Chancery Restaurant In London

MIght the ownership have changed? Certainly there is a new chef in place. The set menu is rather pedestrian and it appears not now to offer the same level of choice, value, and service as previously.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

I took my mum here for a birthday lunch - we both work within a 10 min walk of this restaurant and the reviews on toptable made it look perfect for such an occasion. After being seated, we ordered from a set menu of 3 starters, 3 mains and desserts. We decided to skip starter in favour of a dessert and both ordered Sea Bass for our main. After waiting 30 mins with no food I enquired how much longer we'd need to wait and was told only a few moments. I looked around the restaurant to see everyone else with the same bare tablecloth and no food. After another 10 minutes I told the maitre'd we'd have to leave in order to each get back to work. She did try and persuade me to hang on but I declined as I did not wish to rush my food. The maitre'd then told me the kitchen was slow, as today a brand new menu was being served. Presumably a menu which required Sea Bass to be cooked for over 30 mins I'm guessing. So in short, we left without getting to sample anything more than bread and water - followed by an un-festive sandwich from Pret! One other gripe, when I got back to the office I received a notification through toptable that I had 'cancelled the reservation' - meaning I couldn't review it.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Came here on wednesday (05/06/13) evening, bright and sunny.The wait staff were very nice, but seemed very raw, only 3 people seemed to know what the were doing.

We had the tasting menu, excellent scallops and pork which was very nice, perhaps one of the desserts should be changed, as 2 heavy creamy desserts' does overload you somewhat.

The wine list is concise and priced sensibly.

Waiters need to explain what they are serving you,especially on the tasting menu, we just got the food put in front of us! Perhaps also engage the customers a bit more, it just seemed to be very business and efficiency rather than hospitality.

Fu-dog
Friday, June 07, 2013

The fact that it was almost full on a Thursday evening tells its own story. The food was excellent, the service attentive and prompt and, given a special offer of £25 for three courses, it was also very good value.

Friday, March 22, 2013

A colleague treated me to dinner at The Chancery as a belated birthday treat recently and we had such a lovely evening I have already booked to go back with my husband. The food was beautifully presented and very refined, though not as heavy as other fine dining menus can be. My fish was perfectly cooked, something not all chefs can manage. The service was attentive but not over the top or particularly warm. There are some excellent wines on their list but they are pricey as they often are in EC1! The dining room lacks the buzz of other local eateries like Vinoteca or Polpo, but as we were there for a quiet catch-up it didn't bother us. I am looking forward to returning.

LJ
Thursday, February 28, 2013

This restaurant is distinctly average. Agree with the comments re service, which is slow and unattentive. Food lacks imagination, but is competently prepared. Value for money not particularly good (£28.50 for 2 courses for lunch - about the level of a Michelin-starred restaurant). But it's in an area sufficiently populated with lawyers et al, so it will probably do OK. If bland is your thing, this place is for you.

John Stitch
Monday, January 09, 2012

Love this place. Great food and v good value for money too.

Would highly recommend.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Went to The Chancery last Saturday, having dined there a couple of weeks previously for weekday lunch. The new menu was superb. The vegetarian option - Courgette Souffle was amazing...one of the best vegetarian dishes I have tasted - very inventive and very tasty. My friend had the Pork Rack which was also very good. The service was great, even though the restaurant was very busy. I would totally recommend the Chancery if you are looking for great food, and with the current offers, great value for money.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011