The Chancery

9 Cursitor Street, Clerkenwell, London, EC4A 1LL - View on a map

The Chancery Restaurant In London

MIght the ownership have changed? Certainly there is a new chef in place. The set menu is rather pedestrian and it appears not now to offer the same level of choice, value, and service as previously.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

I took my mum here for a birthday lunch - we both work within a 10 min walk of this restaurant and the reviews on toptable made it look perfect for such an occasion. After being seated, we ordered from a set menu of 3 starters, 3 mains and desserts. We decided to skip starter in favour of a dessert and both ordered Sea Bass for our main. After waiting 30 mins with no food I enquired how much longer we'd need to wait and was told only a few moments. I looked around the restaurant to see everyone else with the same bare tablecloth and no food. After another 10 minutes I told the maitre'd we'd have to leave in order to each get back to work. She did try and persuade me to hang on but I declined as I did not wish to rush my food. The maitre'd then told me the kitchen was slow, as today a brand new menu was being served. Presumably a menu which required Sea Bass to be cooked for over 30 mins I'm guessing. So in short, we left without getting to sample anything more than bread and water - followed by an un-festive sandwich from Pret! One other gripe, when I got back to the office I received a notification through toptable that I had 'cancelled the reservation' - meaning I couldn't review it.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Came here on wednesday (05/06/13) evening, bright and sunny.The wait staff were very nice, but seemed very raw, only 3 people seemed to know what the were doing.

We had the tasting menu, excellent scallops and pork which was very nice, perhaps one of the desserts should be changed, as 2 heavy creamy desserts' does overload you somewhat.

The wine list is concise and priced sensibly.

Waiters need to explain what they are serving you,especially on the tasting menu, we just got the food put in front of us! Perhaps also engage the customers a bit more, it just seemed to be very business and efficiency rather than hospitality.

Fu-dog