The Jugged Hare

49 Chiswell Street, Barbican, London, EC1Y 4SA - View on a map

The Jugged Hare Restaurant In London

TimeOut

TimeOut - 4/5

Thursday, March 22, 2012 - The bar is an idealised version of an old drinking haunt; pints of real ale (four on draught) are downed at tables fashioned from antique whisky barrels. Bar snacks are a cut-above: chips and gravy; pork crackling with apple sauce; venison scotch egg with Cumberland sauce. There's a bar menu in the same vein...Game is a feature; a perfectly cooked wood pigeon (from the rotisserie) was helped to star status by accompanying lentils with dripping. Also good was a super-size wild boar and venison sausage, which we paired with a sprightly beetroot and fennel slaw.

Another fantastic evening in the Josephine Room at this delightful venue set in the heart of the city. Our annual private dinner relies on the intimate, calm and relaxed environment that this room and venue offers, with the staff not only being impeccably presented, but with an extremely warm and helpful welcome, where nothing is too much trouble.

The food is truly wonderful, full of flavour giving a real nod to what is currently in season.

The gorgeous solid tables, the comfortable chairs and the atmospheric candelabras all add to the warmth and elegant feel of the room and we will be returning again for another private function in a couple of week's.

Matt and his team, as well as Nicole and Briony were on hand to answer and respond to any queries in the run up to our booking and again on the evening and I would recommend this venue time and time again.

Louise - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I held a lunch in the Josephine Room to celebrate my fiftieth birthday with my family. We were 17 people in total and were all very impressed by the food and the service we received. Briony Twidle in the events team and Manty and Cosmo who looked after us on the day couldn't have been more helpful or attentive.

Michael Simmonds
Sunday, June 08, 2014

On Monday 2nd June my business, Seckford Wines Ltd., hosted a wine dinner in the private dining room (Josephine room) at the Jugged Hare.

We were joined by 37 paying guests and Olivier Bernard the wine maker and owner of Domaine de Chevalier, Bordeaux.

We’ve been searching for a good venue for a 30+ sit down meal and I have to say that we’re really impressed with The Jugged Hare.

The staff were charming, helpful and un-phased by our various requests.

The space was perfect and worked really well for 40 people. There was an air of clean, tidy organisation without being stuffy or overly formal which for us was the perfect balance for entertaining clients.

There were many compliments from various guests, some of which lived locally to the Jugged Hare but had never been and were sure to return soon. All were particularly impressed with the excellent cooking by Chef Steve Englefield.

Well done Briony, Richard and the team…we are already looking forward to our next event at The Jugged Hare!

Charlie Godwin
Tuesday, June 03, 2014

We recently booked the Josephine Room for Sunday lunch to celebrate my wife's birthday.

Briony was extremely helpful when making the reservation and everything felt very well organised.

The room was beautifully presented and was perfect for the relaxed atmosphere that we had wanted to create: guests were able to mingle with drinks - the Bloody Mary bar was a lovely touch! - before taking their places at the long, impressive dining table.

The service on the day was fantastic and the food was delicious - the whole team did an excellent job! Everything happened smoothly and effortlessly, and nothing was too much trouble,

All of the guests had a great time and my wife thoroughly enjoyed the day.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Jugged Hare!

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

We booked a private room for a business dinner at Chiswell St Dining Rooms was the feedback from our guests:

- Exceptional service from the waiting staff (Fatima) very polite and respectful, was very discreet and was in and out of the room and regularly came back to top up wine glasses and check with me if things were ok.

- The room was great, very sound proof, no music to disturb us and temperature of the room was perfect

- All members had no problem finding the place and when they arrived were each directed to the room through by a member of staff

- The room was a great size and very well lit.

- Very comfortable chairs

Very pleased will certainly be using the venue again!

Hana Gilbert - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, May 22, 2014

I held a birthday dinner here recently and thoroughly enjoyed my meal. The food and service were of excellent standards, and Nicole who helped organise the event was charming. The atmosphere was lovely and relaxed, I recommend the Jugged Hare highly.

Monday, May 19, 2014

The Jugged Hare hosted us (a group of 25 from the Netherlands) in their excellent Josephine Room. Making the reservation with Briony was a good experience, she was very helpful and flexible to meet my wishes for the evening.

With regards to the evening: The atmosphere was great, the room - with large square table - exceptional, the food was good and the service (Duncan and Folicoe) was of the highest standard.

Just a great experience!

René Spekschoor
Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I recently held a private corporate dinner in the Josephine Room. The feedback from the guests was very good and the service both that they received during the dinner and that I received pre-event was excellent.

Charis Coleman
Monday, March 31, 2014

Had a fantastic lunch at this great venue, it is hard to combine a great pub where you can enjoy a proper pint with a restaurant that serves fantastic food, but the Jugged Hare does it brilliantly. Beers, wine food and service were absolutely first class. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a great meal or even to pop in for a pint.

Andrew Turner
Monday, March 24, 2014

Battle of the Pans at the Jugged Hare on Friday night was superb. Great evening well organised, superb food and interesting wines with each course. Service and helpfullness of the staff was first class.

Simon Jones