Castello

192-196 Jamaica Road, Bermondsey, London, SE16 4RT - View on a map

I went to the restaurant on spec. The staff were very welcoming and accommodating. The food was well prepared, cooked and served well, the portion sizes were very generous and the whole meal was very reasonably priced. on the down side, it did lack atmosphere and the music was a bit naff.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Disgusted at this restaurant!!! After spending a lot of money dining here with clients and friends, we went through a period of build work at home and being forced to take our 1 year old baby twins out for early dinners. Every Wednesday, I would come to this restaurant and spend around £30 on food for me and my boys at 5pm when there are no other diners. On a Thursday, my nanny would take the twins for spaghetti but after 2 weeks, the manager asked her not to bring them back, that she does not spend enough, only orders kids portions for the babies and it is too much work bringing out the high chairs for that even though she (and I) would always clean up any mess before leaving. He knows full well that it is the same twins that come in with their mummy who spends plenty of money there, they are identical and we have an unmistakable buggy. I have never heard anything so dreadful and they have a cheek to advertise that they welcome children. The lovely waitresses were mortified and I was furious to find that this manager dared to speak to my nanny this way, he clearly has no idea how to run a business and it surely explains why the restaurant is always so empty. I will, as requested, not ever take my growing boys back to that place, I will tell everyone I know and make sure I certainly do not ever take clients for meetings again either. Finally, I will be going to the local newspaper with this story, they have already shown interest. I hope this man has the good sense to at least apologise...to my nanny, not to me!!!

Mrs fiona ord - View all reviews by this user
Monday, December 02, 2013

Three visits over the last month - all of them high quality. Thin-crust pizzas are done to perfection with generous toppings. Excellent fish specials. The best lemon cheesecake around. Quick service in early evening. Very friendly interaction with all the staff. Very pleasant place to be: with many people there it can be a bit noisy - but so are many successful restaurants, That is people enjoying themselves. The terrace outside is a very pleasant space with broad pavement and lit-up trees. Three courses for £25 - all in all, very good value. Jubilee line to Bermondsey + 150m walk makes travelling very easy. If you want ultra-sophisticated small portions, go elsewhere. But for a good standard Italian menu they do you proud - I have never been disappointed.

davebromley - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, July 20, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a lot over the last 5 years or so. It used to be a good cheap and cheerful Italian restaurant but the last few times I have been there (mainly for nostalgic reasons) the food has been absolutely abysmal. I was served an avocado which was so unripe the spoon bounced off it - no apology was offered, or replacement, or refund. The prawns served with it were still oozing a damp wetness from what I presume was the defrosting process. Steaks, allegedly 'fillet', were very large flat steaks and although cooked to the required 'medium rare' pinkness, when cut into had absolutely no juices. Were they rapidly defrosted in a microwave or had they been cooked some time earlier - absolutely disgusting. To test my tolerance to the limit I am about to go again (mainly because a group of friends still have a fondness for the restaurant). Will post again. But I do not have high hopes. Such a shame as this used to be such good value, simple dining experience with a nice atmosphere.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Extremely friendly environment, makes me feel at home! Food is brilliant, one of the best Italian food I have ever eaten. Price is reasonable and could be consider as extremely affordable! staff is really nice and friendly, they would make you laugh and enjoy the visit there. it creates a completely new environment and leaves all the stress outside of the restaurant.

Recommend the restaurant to anyone!

jimmy tu
Friday, May 10, 2013

I have been a customer to Castello restaurant over 4 years. The service is good but not the best, their waiter is a very nice person, always want to give a good service. About 2 years ago their main head chef left Castello from then their food been horrible. Every time I order a main course it will come different ways its used to be ! Or something always missing. I have to say the manager should keep the same standard what the menu said or find a proper chefs to work in that restaurant.

Imran
Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Recently moved to Bermondsey, and have visited Castello now a few times to eat in and takeaway. Really convinient to be able to order steaks and fish to take out and theyre always willing to give a little bit extra or sort out something not on the menu.

mark bennett
Monday, April 29, 2013

I am new to the area and love a good seafood pasta which i had at this restaurant a few days ago. The food was ok but the waiter's attitude really stank. I paid with a card and was a bit slow when entering gratuity/tip on the machine. The waiter jumped in and typed 10% tip. Thinking about it afterwards i should have floored him. I wont go back there again. Their loss is someone else's gain. As i am addicted to seafood pasta washed down with lots of red wine, I will take my business elsewhere.

Colin
Monday, October 08, 2012

I have been going to Castello's for 27 years. I started going when they had the restaruant at the Elephand & Castle. I was very happy when Tony moved to Jamacia Road as it was closer to where I live. The food was always excellent, staff very friendly and a very harmonious atmostphere we even held a family wedding reception there. Then tragedy, Tony retired and sold the business, at first the new owner kept to the standards and customs the clientele were used to but over the past year, I must, say that the restaurant has rapidly gone down hill in as much to say all that it can be called now is a glorified Italian cafe. With egg on toast, sandwiches full english breakfast, not to mention burgers chips and chicken nuggets. Where there was a full Italian menu there is only pasta and pizza. I am very disappointed that this has happened to such a wonderful restaruant and needless to say that I shall not be returning.

Frank
Sunday, September 16, 2012

The restaurant is fantastic, the quality of the food is amazing, and i go there nearly twice a month! I advise everybody to go there for good food and the staff are lovely

Tuesday, March 20, 2012