Tapasia

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Have a love/hate relationship with the name but eaten at this spot a few times now as I love Japanese cuisine, it has a buzzing central location and they are currently running an opening offer of 50% off food - without 50% would be quite pricey. Few teething problems with the food the first time but been delighted since as totally new menu - just saw today that they have a new head chef - this may be why....

Tasty, rich and original japanese dishes with all meat just pink and fish melt in your mouth. Got some clever fusion dishes on the menu too. Small but strong wine list, interesting cocktails and like the chic raw interior. Huge fan of the Tsunami in Clam and hopefully Tapasia will be as successful.

DulwichDamsel - View all reviews by this user
Friday, July 13, 2012

I visited tapasia last night with my boyfriend. We were attracted by the 50% off food sign for the soft opening (valid to end June 2012). My boyfriend works in soho and know most of the restaurants and openings in the area so we were surprised that we hadn't heard anything about tapasia.

The space was stylishly decorated and we ate at the bar. The charming bartender from Barcelona made a delicious chilli and mango cocktail for my boyfriend and a pineapple and Thai basil mojito for me. The drinks were great and came with a small portion of vegetable tempura. The tempura was delicious and not too oily.

We then ordered 5 other dishes: scallops, salmon tartare, beef carpaccio, butterfly prawns and lamb cutlets. The stand out dish was the salmon which was light and tasted beautifully of sesame. All the food was incredibly tasty but portions were small and at full price would be expensive. £14 for two lamb cutlets seemed expensive!

As it was 50% off we had pudding: a brownie with ginger cream and a mango sponge. The brownie dish was great , but the mango dish was just a little too tart.

Our bill came to approx £50 (including 2 cocktails and a glass of decent white) which felt good value. At full price the meal would have been £80. As the portions were small I feel that this is just a little too expensive.

I would return, but if the prices were just a touch more reasonable, I would be a regular customer.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012