Amaya

Halkin Arcade, 19 Motcomb Street, Knightsbridge, London, SW1X 8JT - View on a map

Amaya Restaurant In London

It is hard to believe that Amaya is a Michelin-starred restaurant. We love Indian food but had the worst experience ever at any restaurant globally that we've dined at over the years (and we only dine at Michelin-starred restaurants). My wife and I were in London for business and were hosting another couple for dinner, one of whom use to be a high level British Diplomat to India. I told the maître d'hôtel that I was allergic to nuts, fish and seafood so would like for him to make sure there were none of these ingredients in the food I ordered. You know what he said. He said we can't serve you and you'll have to leave. My wife and I and our two guests had already ordered wine and cocktails ahead of placing our food order. Instead of saying let us see what we can do for you, the maître d'hôtel basically and incompetently did not even offer to try to accommodate my dietary needs. On top of that he handed us a check charging us for the full bottle of wine even though at the time only one person had a glass, i.e. the bottle was full. Unbelievable because the right thing to do would have been to say I'm sorry and there is no charge. Instead the wait staff tried to charge us for the whole bottle of wine. I screamed and yelled at the wait staff and the maitre d'hôtel and told him we were not paying for a full bottle of wine which we did not drink. The next thing we knew he brought the check back without a charge for the bottle of wine but charging my guest for the small pour of the wine she had started drinking but could not finish. Does this feel like Michelin-star service. The last time I checked at a Michelin-starred restaurant, the customer comes first. I next asked him what kind of bucket shop restaurant this was because who in their right mind would ask a customer to leave and charge them for a bottle of wine they had not been able to drink or finish. This restaurant is clueless with regards to customer service. We did not even get a chance to try the food because they asked us to leave. The maître d'hôtel has no sense of decorum and no sense of trying to accommodate a customer. Awful Awful service. We did not even get a chance to try the food. We were so offended. We went back to the Berkeley Hotel where we were staying and told the Concierge who recommended the restaurant that it was the worst experience ever and not to recommend this restaurant to any guests because it was the most offensive service we had ever seen. On top of that the wait staff was incompetent and spilt my martini on me when they brought it to our table. I can't comprehend why this restaurant is rated so highly because the service is absolutely the worst ever.

Worst Service Ever!
Sunday, May 07, 2017

We were very disappointed with the food, which was mediocre to say the least. Felt like we were eating in a chain restaurant rather than a Michelin star establishment. Very pricey for such simple food. Would not recommend.

Sunday, December 04, 2016