Shoryu Ramen (Regent St)

Telephone:

Shoryu Ramen (Regent St) Restaurant In London

Guardian

Marina O'Loughlin

Friday, December 21, 2012 - They use Hakata-style hosamen noodles: thin, pale and straight, with nice springiness and bite. But the chashu pork in the tonkotsu has a greyish, cheap roast dinner quality, and the soup lacks body, its glutinous pigginess leavened with chicken stock. There's a forest of beansprouts to negotiate before you get to the good stuff: papery nori that faints into the broth; wood ear mushrooms; strips of red ginger. The piri piri version has a cough-making belt of chilli. Gyoza are good: thin skin, juicy, porky filling.

TimeOut

TimeOut - 4/5

Monday, November 26, 2012 - Run by the same people as the Japan Centre across the road, Shoryu is an authentically Japanese experience...The basic Hakata ramen we tried had a rich, milky pork-and-chicken-bone broth with plenty of pale egg-yolk-yellow, own-made noodles crowned with slices of unremarkable barbecued pork, crunchy cloud ear mushrooms and slivers of bright red pickled ginger.

Went on Saturday night and it was half empty which was a bad sign.

Had the signature ramen. Tasty soup and noddles was nice though very little meat for the price they are charging. 3 tiny pieces of pork and little else for £11.50. Service is amateurish and waitress did not know any of the dish. Will not go back.

Milo
Sunday, September 14, 2014

simply wonderful! very nice restaurant but with few tables, so i suggest to book.the atmosphere is friendly and informal; all the staff was nice and helpfull. the food is fresh and very well prepared (lots of japanese go there for dinner, so that should means they found the food good!).

absolutely highly recommended!!

Federica
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My partner and I went here recently upon being recommended by a few friends (just off Piccadilly).

The decor inside is lovely, and a lot more upmarket than the usual 'cafe' style Japanese places we typically eat in. It is, however, very small. Although being seated next to strangers in not a problem we usually have, the tables are very very small, and if you're sat next to another couple, it can be quite an uncomfortable experience because of how intimate the smaller tables are.

The prices were very reasonable, although I thought the green teas were slightly overpriced given in many places this is free and/or have free re-fillable teas. The tea we had was also very bitter and had a slight burnt taste to it. It is definitely my least favourite green tea I have tried to date.

The ramen was nice - the pork here was one of the best pork dishes we have tried to date. Unlike other places, the stock was not greasy, which is often offputting. The vegetarian ramen was nice, although the tofu didn't have a lot of flavour compared to other places, and I'm not a fan of sweetcorn in my ramen. As a side note - this seems to be a new thing over the past year where sweetcorn is being added to ramen dishes left right and centre! I don't know if this is authentic or not, but for me, it just does not work.

The gyoza was nice, nicely presented, although ithey would have been nice just ever so slightly crisper. The fillings were nice, with a hint of ginger.

Only other annoyance was the 10% 'optional' service charge which was automatically added to our bill.

What I do really like about this place, which I think a lot of other places can benefit from, is that their tuna is sustainably caught, and there are gluten free options on the menu. I think this is really important, so kudos to them for promoting this.

Overall - I'd go back again as value for money is good and the dishes are nice, but it can be quite offputting how small it is, which I don't think makes it a particularly relaxed atmosphere (though I guess it depends on the occassion you're after - this place maye would be better for an evening/event rather than a casual lunch).

shell
Sunday, May 19, 2013

I've tried a few of the new ramen places recently opened in London and Shoryu Ramen is definitely my favourite. It doesn't mess about - great portions, great price and most importantly great flavours! Their signature tonkotsu bowl is amazing, but personally I like the rich, smoked tones from the Dracula Tonkotsu with caramelised garlic, it's amazing!

Service is prompt and friendly and there is a nice turn around on their menu which means there's usually something new to try as well as favourites. Lots of Japanese clientèle is always a good sign for restaurants serving national dishes and there were certainly lots of happy Japanese customers slurping away each time I went. Run by the people behind Japan Centre I like to pop over their after I've eaten and stock up on really great Japanese ingredients for my kitchen, so it's handy for that too.

Love this place and go back often with friends or to sit at the window bar during my lunchbreak. Always great, especially love the Japanese greeting when you enter!

Lola - View all reviews by this user
Friday, February 08, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my father who was visiting from Tokyo. Being a Japanese who lived in London for many years and longed for authentic ramen restaurants, I had a high hope for this new tonkotsu ramen place. Therefore it was extremely disappointing to experience one of the worst services I have ever encountered in restaurants. When we arrived the place was very busy and since nobody greeted us we tried to take a free table but the manager came over immediately and snapped “you will have to wait, there are other people who arrived before you”. A manner not typically seen in a Japanese restaurant! But we were given a table soon after and the ramen dish I picked from a fairly wide range of choices was pretty tasty so I put behind the initial unpleasantness. Then the bill came: my father spotted that they added 30% service charge! When he pointed this out to a waiter, he blamed it on the till machine. We thought it was a poor excuse since machine does not ‘make mistakes’ – it must have been a human error! We called the manager to complain about this appalling error and the insincere apology provided by the waiter but he was equally unapologetic. So we ended up storming off the restaurant (after paying the bill but without any tip, of course!). A very disappointing experience indeed. I will not return there until they change the manager! Luckily there are now a couple of other good tonkotsu places in London.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

I popped along to the soft launch this week - which was 50% off.

I came for one thing only - Tonkotsu, which I'd tried only for the first time last week at a restaurant of the same name. I was in a quandry though - i loved my previous Tonkotsu for the depth of flavour in the milky almost sticky pork broth, and hadn't wanted to spoil it by adding other flavourings, but Yuzu Tonkotsu sounded intriguing here so i ordered it.

A Tonkotsu porky broth arrived laden with beansprouts, sesame seeds, nori and chashu (slice of roasted pork), topped with a decent dollop of yuzu & chilli puree, and wow! - that yuzu topping is phenomenol. Citrussy, with chilli pepper spice.

I tried the broth on its own first - quite a few spoonfuls from the bottom of the bowl. It was good - lovely flavour and decent depth but not the same slightly stickyness of the last one. Then I stirried the yuzu in and it was instantly enlivened. The pork slice was soft, juicy with the right amount of fat, the noodles were as i would expect.

Overall, i preferred the pork broth at Tonkotsu, but it would be 50:50 as to which one i'd visit again. On balance, i would try the other dishes at Shoryu - the spicy miso was getting lots of happy faces when i was there. And i would certainly go back for that Yuzu Tonkotsu.

A word about service... Given they had only been open a couple of days, this place really has it together. Despite the queue outside, there was never the feeling that they were trying to turn over tables (luckily in a ramen place that tends to happen frequently) The waitresses were friendly without being overbearing, and the whole operation just seemed pretty faultless for this kind of thing. Good experience. I will return.

Hungry
Friday, November 16, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 6/10

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - On a second visit I tried the standard house Tonkotsu ("Ganso") which was not just edible but rather nice, with a soothing milky broth and generous helping of bouncy egg noodles. Perhaps the slices of rolled pork weren't quite as powerfully flavoursome as those at Tonkotsu on Dean St, and perhaps Bone Daddies has a slightly more exciting variety of styles, but this was still a good ramen.