The Patch

211 Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, London, SE22 8HA - View on a map
Telephone: 020 8299 2068

The Patch Restaurant In London

The lunch was nothing special and was overpriced - certainly not worth the extra walk south of other, more in-expensive places that serve the same or better food. The service was okay, but I won't be going back.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Salmon wrapped around creme fraiche was a very 2000 supermarket-style starter that needed some good bread to offset all the dairy. The bream was good and the pear tart was bland and tiny - and £6.50! The experience of eating here was gastronomically underwhelming and not good value. It was interrupted by a high volume house band that made conversation impossible but this was stopped thankfully.

If they invested as heavily in an imaginative menu as they clearly have in the infrastructure this could be a great spot.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

I went for desserts and drinks with some friends to try something new (we usually go elsewhere in E.D. and wanted a change) and we were all very disappointed. First, when the server discovered we only wanted desserts we were treated coldly. Then when we got the desserts they were bland, like they had been made days before. We wouldn't have minded so much as they weren't too expensive, and the drinks were an average price, but we had a hard time hearing each other because the music was a little too loud for us. It was a bad experience and we won't be going back.

Jill Rooper
Wednesday, May 07, 2014

I had dinner at The Patch with a private party of 19 on Saturday 26th April. The bar is wonderfully relaxed and the restaurant light and airy. The private room upstairs was attractively put together for us and throughout the evening the service was excellent. I have read the reviews below and cannot understand the criticisms about the restaurant being loud.

The food was commendable. A criticism below is that the restaurant does not provide a fine dining experience. I was not expecting a fine dining experience as the restaurant does not sell itself as such. The wine list produced some spectacular wines at sub £30 prices so again I do not understand the criticism about the wine list below. There is a Lussac St-Emilion 2006 for less than £30 and a burgundy from the celebrated 2010 vintage for under £30. This is unheard of in London and I really would encourage anyone who enjoys a relaxed evening out with competent food and great wine to visit The Patch. I had a white Rioja from a recent vintage as an aperitif and thoroughly enjoyed this sitting at the bar with the sunlight streaming in and some light background music. The beer was quaffable as evidenced by some of my friends.

On the Saturday Jason (Jackson? I think is his surname) was the chef. I do not know if he cooks there everyday so please do go on a Saturday if possible or ask when he will be cooking. The starters are around £7 and the chicken liver parfait was outstanding with the crab salad and soup a very close second. That was superbly complimented by the white burgundy.

The main courses were around £18 and I had the pork. This included pork belly and a rissole. The rissole was astonishing in its succulence and flavour. Most rissoles are bland and dry but not this. This would have graced the plate of a michelin starred establishment. The belly likewise. The potato cake was superb and had been braised in an oven with butter and chicken stock I suspect. My only criticism was that I wanted more and I felt that maybe just a wee bit more could have been put on the plate. I saw around me plates of a daube of beef and spring rump of lamb. This was accompanied by the Lussac St-Emilion 2006. The wine had all the classic characteristics of an aged Bordeaux and at that price represented great value for money.

The puddings were simple classics, tasty and hit the spot. Altogether a great evening was enjoyed by everyone in my party and I am told that they will be returning and recommending the place to others. We really are short of decent restaurants in and around Dulwich. The Patch is relatively new and maybe it has gone through teething problems which is why there are some indifferent reviews below. My assessment is that do not expect a fine dining experience such as you would get at a Roux brothers restaurant. But do expect a local restaurant at the standard of a Parisian bistrot where you can build up a relationship with the owner and those who work there. I really hope they increase slightly the portions as that would probably elevate the food and value for money score to 9 or even 10 out of 10. The gentleman serving us, Oscar, deserves a mention for the professional way he dealt with a party of 19.

Ravi Dogra
Sunday, April 27, 2014

We visited The Patch on Tuesday evening and liked the cool decor and lofty ceiling, as well as the relaxed atmosphere of the bar area. The place was absolutely buzzing with customers and the kitchen struggled a bit to keep up with the fact that so many diners arrived at once, but the staff dealt with tis with charm , keeping us informed of progress and giving us free nibbles. When the food arrived we thought it was excellent - very tasty, fresh ingredients, good size portions and imaginative combinations. We will certainly go back as it must be one of the better kitchens in East Dulwich.

Alison
Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Tried this pub last night and was hugely disappointed: service was rushed and impersonal; food was average and overpriced.

We booked for 8.30 and were told the table was only a few minutes away but half hour later we had to chase only to be told ‘there is nothing!’ I would have expected an apology or a complimentary glass of wine but no, nothing.

The service was a disaster, simply there wasn’t enough staff and those who were there weren’t trained enough. Maitre d couldn’t do his job properly as he was rushed everywhere taking orders, serving drinks etc. The young waiters there had goodwill but were not in the position to deliver the service expected. One of them kept cleaning his hands on a pile of dirty napkins laying next to our table and then continuing with the service. Food arrived before the drinks, items on the tables (glasses, cutlery etc.) were missing when needed or were left when not needed.

The soup was good but nothing to shout about - simply something we could have easily made at home. The spaghetti were fairly average and the beef cheeks were hugely dried which is unforgivable given it was a special. Were we charged a few £ less we would have probably being fine.

Definitely not a place to recommend.

Sunday, March 09, 2014

The service is average (5/10). They have great wine glasses but a terrible wine list, which is a shame when you consider how well their food is supposed to be paired with wine. It really wasn't (3/10). It's as if the wine and food menus were put together by different people. It was also rather loud - not the kind of place at which one wants to sit for a nice meal (2/10). If you want a loud atmosphere maybe the Patch is for you, but for fine dining go elsewhere. Their Guinness was good, but so is every other pubs'. Compared to similar pubs that serve food in East Dulwich it's definitely below par (3/10). I will not go back for dinner or drinks.

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Very enjoyable and friendly restaurant with a great atmosphere. Food very good. A great addition to the culinary offerings of the area.

John Greenwood
Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My girlfriend and I went there for food and drinks and were disappointed with the food and the service. To being with, the pop was flat and came from a bottle, both our meals were cold and my girlfriend's fish was horribly over cooked (very dry), the service was slow and it seemed as if we were an inconvenience by being there. With so many other great places to eat in East Dulwich we won't be going back again.

Friday, January 10, 2014

I have eaten at The Patch a few times now, with both friends and family. I live close by and am so pleased to have such an excellent local, the food is truly wonderful, great value and something new in the area. The portions are very generous for my tastes and the flavour left me savouring each mouthful. My last meal started with a crisp and clean salmon, so fresh and flavoursome, a slightly Nordic slant on salmon, would have been satiated at this point. The beef with parsnip crisps to follow was sooooo good, one of the best things I have ever eaten, and I am lucky enough to eat in some great places internationally. Wow, East Dulwich are really lucky to have this addition to Lordship lane, it really is a treat and something different. Cannot wait to see how it develops!

Lpstars - View all reviews by this user