The Patch

211 Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, London, SE22 8HA - View on a map
Telephone:

The Patch Restaurant In London

our review

Coming soon - London's first self-sustainable community pub.

April 2013

We visited The Patch on Tuesday evening and liked the cool decor and lofty ceiling, as well as the relaxed atmosphere of the bar area. The place was absolutely buzzing with customers and the kitchen struggled a bit to keep up with the fact that so many diners arrived at once, but the staff dealt with tis with charm , keeping us informed of progress and giving us free nibbles. When the food arrived we thought it was excellent - very tasty, fresh ingredients, good size portions and imaginative combinations. We will certainly go back as it must be one of the better kitchens in East Dulwich.

Alison
Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Tried this pub last night and was hugely disappointed: service was rushed and impersonal; food was average and overpriced.

We booked for 8.30 and were told the table was only a few minutes away but half hour later we had to chase only to be told ‘there is nothing!’ I would have expected an apology or a complimentary glass of wine but no, nothing.

The service was a disaster, simply there wasn’t enough staff and those who were there weren’t trained enough. Maitre d couldn’t do his job properly as he was rushed everywhere taking orders, serving drinks etc. The young waiters there had goodwill but were not in the position to deliver the service expected. One of them kept cleaning his hands on a pile of dirty napkins laying next to our table and then continuing with the service. Food arrived before the drinks, items on the tables (glasses, cutlery etc.) were missing when needed or were left when not needed.

The soup was good but nothing to shout about - simply something we could have easily made at home. The spaghetti were fairly average and the beef cheeks were hugely dried which is unforgivable given it was a special. Were we charged a few £ less we would have probably being fine.

Definitely not a place to recommend.

Sunday, March 09, 2014

The service is average (5/10). They have great wine glasses but a terrible wine list, which is a shame when you consider how well their food is supposed to be paired with wine. It really wasn't (3/10). It's as if the wine and food menus were put together by different people. It was also rather loud - not the kind of place at which one wants to sit for a nice meal (2/10). If you want a loud atmosphere maybe the Patch is for you, but for fine dining go elsewhere. Their Guinness was good, but so is every other pubs'. Compared to similar pubs that serve food in East Dulwich it's definitely below par (3/10). I will not go back for dinner or drinks.

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Very enjoyable and friendly restaurant with a great atmosphere. Food very good. A great addition to the culinary offerings of the area.

John Greenwood
Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My girlfriend and I went there for food and drinks and were disappointed with the food and the service. To being with, the pop was flat and came from a bottle, both our meals were cold and my girlfriend's fish was horribly over cooked (very dry), the service was slow and it seemed as if we were an inconvenience by being there. With so many other great places to eat in East Dulwich we won't be going back again.

Friday, January 10, 2014

I have eaten at The Patch a few times now, with both friends and family. I live close by and am so pleased to have such an excellent local, the food is truly wonderful, great value and something new in the area. The portions are very generous for my tastes and the flavour left me savouring each mouthful. My last meal started with a crisp and clean salmon, so fresh and flavoursome, a slightly Nordic slant on salmon, would have been satiated at this point. The beef with parsnip crisps to follow was sooooo good, one of the best things I have ever eaten, and I am lucky enough to eat in some great places internationally. Wow, East Dulwich are really lucky to have this addition to Lordship lane, it really is a treat and something different. Cannot wait to see how it develops!

Lpstars - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, December 29, 2013

We decided to try 'The Patch' last night having been impressed with the makeover and the sound of the menu. When we arrived we were shown to our table and offered some tap water (good). We asked if there was anywhere to hang our coat and were told no and therefore had to place them on the back of our chairs. This was fine for me as I had a shortish coat but my partner had a long overcoat which was brushing against the floor. We then waited a longish time before somebody came over to take our order (it seemed like around ten minutes) which is far too long.

For starters I ordered the salmon, which I felt was nice but perhaps a little small on the portion size. My partner had the chicken liver parfait which appeared to be a little too runny in its consistency and perhaps needed a little more seasoning. For the main I had the beef stew with onions which arrived without the accompanying mash potato. I asked the waiter for this and he was apologetic for this mistake and thanked me for reminding him. I did enjoy my main course as it was a classic winter warmer. My partner opted for the turkey and venison which could have done with more sauce to counter the dryness of the turkey. For dessert I had the winterberry cheesecake pot which was enjoyable and my partner had the salt chocolate and honeycomb pot which she enjoyed apart from the hard pieces of honeycomb which were included. To be honest we had decided to go as we were keen to meet the masterchef brains behind the kitchen but when we asked we were told that she was elsewhere. Perhaps if she had been on-site she might not have let my main go out without mash etc etc.

Overall the food was ok but the Patch let itself down on the simple points of customer service. Our wine was not poured for us and there was no engagement beyond collecting the plates. I'm not sure if we would go back.

TG - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, December 22, 2013

I just wanted to write how amazing my food was at The Patch! I have literally never tasted anything so good. The enviroment is friendly and warm! The inside looks phoenomenal! Love it!

Cant wait to go again!