Gymkhana

42 Albemarle Street, Mayfair, London, W1S 4JH - View on a map

Gymkhana Restaurant In London

our review

Karam Sethi, chef-patron of Trishna, has opened Gymkhana in Mayfair. The decor reflects the grandeur of the Colonial gymkhana clubs and the bar specialises in modern interpretations of traditional East Indian punch tavern drinks. The menu includes club style nashtas (Indian all-day snack fare), club sharing plates of tandoori kebabs and sigri grills, and seasonal curries and biryanis. Feast menus featuring game birds, Goan suckling pig and Lucknowi kid goat raan will be available for groups.

September 2013

Telegraph

Zoe Williams - 4.5/5

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - I had kid goat methi keema. The menu makes a huge fandango about the goat, and leaves you the impression you’d be mad to miss it. Sceptical, I ordered it in its smallest possible incarnation. Crikey, it was good. It had a smoky under-taste, an aniseedy aside (that’s actually leaf fenugreek) and such a complex interleaving of flavours that I kept kidding myself I would figure it out if I had just one more bite...This is a stunning addition, not just to the posh-curry fraternity, but to the entire restaurant landscape.

TimeOut

TimeOut - 4/5

Thursday, November 07, 2013 - Sethi lays on a splendid spread of modern Indian dishes based on regional masalas and marinades. Fried South Indian chicken wings, steeped in wispy gram-flour and chilli batter, pack a fiery kick, and make a tempting opener for dinner...Goan pork vindaloo – slow-cooked chunks of suckling pig cheek, with vinegary red chilli-garlic masala, spiced with sweet cinnamon and coriander – was outstanding.

+ Show more critic reviews

Giles Coren in The Times said, from memory, that this was the best restaurant that he had ever been to, so I booked in January for the first table for two at eight o'clock. The wait was eight weeks, which on the night surprised me as there were a number of empty tables upstairs, and I think some downstairs as well. They may have an explanation for that, I don't.

The food is brilliant; you try things that you certainly do not associate with your normal Indian restaurant, and they are all delicious. The service was impeccable, and there was a pleasant atmosphere. £34 for a half carafe of white sauvignon surprised me, but their own lager was very drinkable, so no complaints on the quality of the drink.

We probably ordered one dish too many, but I would not have missed any that we had. Gymkhana is certainly not cheap, but represents value for money in its true meaning, with original and delicious food of exceptional quality.

James - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fantastic food. Best I have ever had in ANY restaurant, not just Indian. Great value set menus, wont get food like that anywhere else for 3 times the price.

Chris Dulley
Wednesday, January 15, 2014

We popped in as we have heard good things about this recent opening. Sure to say the food was fantastic! As we are from that part of the world, it was refreshing to see Indian restaurant cooking in London that is beautifully spiced and balanced. The food is very, very good. Nay, excellent! A few dishes really stood out, namely the sublime Muntjac biryani with its pastry lid. Also, the jaggery caramel custard, an oozy, sticky concoction that looked odd on the Burleigh plate until we ate it. Gosh it was good! The service was attentive but unfussy, just how we like it. Highly recommended! Good luck getting a table...

Silva
Friday, October 18, 2013

My wife and I went to Gymkhana last Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary and we were not disappointed. The restaurant was not very busy but I understand they had just recently opened. The food at Gymkhana is very well spiced and there wasn't a dish we didn't like. Nashta dishes represented very good value and we really enjoyed the duck egg/lobster paratha and Gol Guppa as a starter. The lamb chops were amazing, bit pricey (£25) but my wife insists that we will order that again next time! The pork cheek vindaloo had melt in the mouth meat. The prawns were so well spiced and cooked just right that we felt ordering more. I will be returning but no doubt it will be a lot busier next time. When we revisit we will try the tasting menu at £55 per head as this seems like very good value. Our bill came to £160 (inc service) but we left very satisfied and we may have ordered one dish too many.

md_london - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, September 26, 2013

Food is very interesting, beautifully spiced. The bar snacks are the best way to enjoy a range of tastes and textures without spending a small fortune. Pakoras and naan breads, mini bites of kebabs are all excellent grazing foods. Service rather over-bearing, but it was the second day and the restaurant was quite quiet. Don't go if you are thirsty (unless on expenses) as drinks are Mayfair cocktail bar prices. £12 for a gin and tonic. Cheapest wine £6 for a 125 ml glass. Also, not sure why they felt it would be a good idea to put prints of the Kama Sutra on the cloakroom tags.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 9/10

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - The Trishna sea bream dish I spoke about earlier, perfectly cooked and delicately dressed in bright green coriander and chilli, Indian fine-dining that sacrifices none of the spice or colour. And breast of guinea fowl, powerfully spiced and all crunchy and smoky from the tandoor, also essentially another faultless bit of cooking...Prices are reasonable for Mayfair and the toilets are very smart. There is really very little to fault, and you will love it, I guarantee it.