Medcalf

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

Went back after a few years as the menu really appealed when I walked past.

Really wanted the pork belly, and at first glance it looked like it was off. Luckily it was still present as a starter (or small plate as they're now inevitably referred to). Also they had pheasant so I went for that as main.

Pork was tiny, 2 slim pieces and both starters took long enough for me to drink a whole pint of very good beer and order another before they arrived. Pork was delicious, as was salt beef. Both dishes were assembled rather than cooked fresh and it was far from busy so they could've brought it sooner.

Salt beef was more like a salad of shreds of beef with pickles and watercress. Lovely but maybe not if one disliked salads. Pork came with a delicious apple type sauce. I was expecting it to be more chunky and hearty but no complaints on taste at all.

Main course of pheasant was delicious. Meat was tender and tasty, though the lardons and cabbage with it were excessively chewy to the point where I had to keep subtly depositing parts of it into a napkin. Shepherds pie was apparently good, and the potato topping was lovely and creamy. We ordered a side of greens which were primarily the same as the cabbage (savoy, as the waitress corrected me. It was the very outer leaves of a savoy cabbage!) served under my pheasant. Wish we knew that as we would have ordered something else. When I mentioned this casually the waitress came back and said snappily that it says on the menu my main was served with 'savoy'. Well the side was described as greens so no indication they would be the same thing. We got the greens taken off because they were too chewy/ tough. Have to say the waitress telling us chef said they were meant to be like that didn't help. I cook greens and cabbage on a weekly basis and have never tasted anything so tough in my life!

Apart from that we really enjoyed the meal and staff were efficient. It was quite quiet but we like our table. Giving 7 for food as taking one off for the cabbage/ greens issue. Rest was lovely!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013