Boopshi's

31 Windmill Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 2JN - View on a map

Boopshi's Restaurant In London

Metro

Metro - 3/5

Thursday, December 19, 2013 - The basement houses a cosy-looking bar but the pared-back menu is only available in the rather austere ground-floor dining room. Frittaten soup, beef consommé thickened with neatly shredded pancake, is pleasingly salty and surprisingly light. You have a choice of chicken, rare-breed pork or ethically sound rose veal. We opt for the latter and pimp it with a duck egg, anchovies and capers to make it into a ‘Wiener Holstein’. The price of a clear conscience is that rose veal goes dry when cooked this way, compared with the controversial milk-fed variety.

I have just been to Boopshi's for dinner. I had a lovely evening!

The staff is incredibly nice and knows their Austrian menu (I am from Austria, so I can tell ;)). The food was delicious & we got to talk to one of the owner afterwards. He told us how his grandparents were both Austrian and came to London, where they met. All the recipes are from them, which I find incredibly lovely!

The grandparents are even on the pictures in the restaurant :).

We had Schnitzel with a hen egg, Schnitzel with capers and gravy, beef frankfurter (which tasted very different from normal Frankfurter but equally nice), Spaetzle, Sauerkraut and Potato Salad. Not everything is "authentic" Austrian, we wouldn't eat Schnitzel with toppings and our potato salad is usually made differently. However, I think it is a great idea to take recipes and twist them a bit. Boosphi's has successfully done that!

The prices are ok. A bit on the expensive side - I find 6 pounds for one sausage too much.

We will definitely be coming back and I can only recommend it to everyone.

Thursday, February 13, 2014