Boopshi's

31 Windmill Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1T 2JN - View on a map

Boopshi's Restaurant In London

our review

Brothers Ed and Ben Robson have opened Boopshi's 'Schnitzel and Spritz' in Fitzrovia. Using recipes handed down to them by their Austrian grandparents, they're serving schnitzels made with British rose veal, free-range chicken and rare breed pork. Boopshi's also serves Prosecco on tap, signature spritzes and an exclusive beer developed by Camden Town Brewery.

November 2013

Metro

Metro - 3/5

Thursday, December 19, 2013 - The basement houses a cosy-looking bar but the pared-back menu is only available in the rather austere ground-floor dining room. Frittaten soup, beef consommé thickened with neatly shredded pancake, is pleasingly salty and surprisingly light. You have a choice of chicken, rare-breed pork or ethically sound rose veal. We opt for the latter and pimp it with a duck egg, anchovies and capers to make it into a ‘Wiener Holstein’. The price of a clear conscience is that rose veal goes dry when cooked this way, compared with the controversial milk-fed variety.

I have just been to Boopshi's for dinner. I had a lovely evening!

The staff is incredibly nice and knows their Austrian menu (I am from Austria, so I can tell ;)). The food was delicious & we got to talk to one of the owner afterwards. He told us how his grandparents were both Austrian and came to London, where they met. All the recipes are from them, which I find incredibly lovely!

The grandparents are even on the pictures in the restaurant :).

We had Schnitzel with a hen egg, Schnitzel with capers and gravy, beef frankfurter (which tasted very different from normal Frankfurter but equally nice), Spaetzle, Sauerkraut and Potato Salad. Not everything is "authentic" Austrian, we wouldn't eat Schnitzel with toppings and our potato salad is usually made differently. However, I think it is a great idea to take recipes and twist them a bit. Boosphi's has successfully done that!

The prices are ok. A bit on the expensive side - I find 6 pounds for one sausage too much.

We will definitely be coming back and I can only recommend it to everyone.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

The 2 star review below is ridiculous. This was a fantastic restaurant and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening. The staff were polite and the service was quick and unobtrusive. The food was delicious. I've never tasted shoe, I don't know which restaurants you visit to eat shoe, so I can't comment, but the schnitzel with a duck egg on top was one of the best I've ever had.

TT
Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The schnitzel here is the best in London. The services is warm and welcoming and the drinks are awesome. This is a great place to meet friends after work for dinner and stay for cocktails in the bar downstairs.

Not to be missed by any Londoner.

Gregory
Wednesday, January 15, 2014

absolute jokes and an insult to every austrian citizen in london. the schnitzel does not get even close to an austrian schnitzel and tastes like an old shoe...

service was mardy and not welcoming...

the restaurant does not even offer coffee, which is a disgrace...

this restaurant won't survive for long - that's for sure

CK
Monday, January 13, 2014

We went as a group of 4 for a Saturday lunch, and it was a tasty meal BUT a bit overpriced for what it is. The restaurant is very small (nothing wrong with that, but there's not much in the way of ambience as it's 'cafeteria' style).

Having said that, the staff were great; friendly and attentive - exactly what you want.

The food is tasty. The veal schnitzel is great, and the sides were all very tasty too, especially the authentic potato salad. The desserts were a big let down. Don't bother with dessert - the strudel was very average and the pastry was impossible to cut through with the spoon it was served with. The sachertorte was a little dry and isn't served with anything at all. So, no points for the disappointing desserts. I wouldn't ever order puddings there again.

I would go back for the schnitzel though. Just not regularly, because it's really just *slightly* too expensive for what it is. The veal schnitzel (which is what you'd go there for) is £14.50. But, it's literally just the meat on a plate. They charge extra for the things that would normally come on top (capers/egg/anchovy) so if you go for a classic schnitzel with capers and anchovies you're up to £16.25 just for the meat - no sides.

I think that that was a mistake (trying to screw people for the extra few quid on the obligatory toppings) and for such simple food and presentation, when the bill comes you might feel like it's more than you expected, which is never good.

I'd give it 7.5/10 overall. The food is tasty, and if the pricing was slightly more sensible I would go there regularly, but in this price range I think you can certainly do better in terms of value by just wandering around the corner onto Charlotte St.

Mimi
Monday, December 09, 2013

We went to Boopshi's on Wednesday evening and we're filled with anticipation, we had travelled a long way with great expectations for the superb schnitzel I had already heard about, unfortunately, there was a problem with our booking request, but Ed Robson part owner was quickly on hand, and to the rescue. He complimented the whole meal and drinks. The food was excellent, we had the veal schnitzel topped with duck egg, our ruffled feathers were now smoothed down and it was a great night.

I would really like to thank Ed for this and as a business owner myself I can see this venture going from strength to strength. Boopshis really has all the correct ingredients, and wish them every future success.

Jennifer Salman - View all reviews by this user
Friday, December 06, 2013

When should you visit a restaurant? I ask because with the slew of new openings in London there is a race on amongst certain aficionados to be the first in and the first to post. Last month it was all about the Berners Tavern then the Merchant Tavern then Gymkhana and this week I believe is all about Hawker House. Next week it will be somewhere else as hip leads to happening leads to has been. My own preference is to visit a new restaurant after it has been going for a few months. Generally the good places have settled down and the kitchen is motoring along with their menu, The Electric Diner and the Little Social are good examples of this. Sadly it can also show up places where once they have secured good reviews and subsequent bookings they take their eye of the ball. My recent visit to the Newman St Tavern showed this up to the max. I generally avoid the newly opened unless it has been vouched for, as Dave from Goodman did for 28-50 Wine Workshop. I was in during their first week and yet everything was bang on. So despite my tried and tested approach I found myself visiting Boopshi's a new Austrian restaurant/bar a few days after they opened. We were having a delayed birthday night out for my lovely wife with friends. Suzie who is the daughter of Austrian restaurateurs had picked Boopshi's to see if it lived up to it's billing as the finest purveyor of schnitzel in London.

It was properly busy around Charlotte St on Friday night. Only some eagle eyed spotting bagged us a space at the very nice Barrica for a pre-dinner drink. They served us a phenomenal beer called Alhambra especial which I would have gladly drunk all night. As it was we didn't get to sample any tapas, though the missus has been before and rated it. From the outside Boopshi's doesn't look much like an Austrian restaurant or a eating place at all. Big plate glass windows, plain white walls give it a sushi bar feel. Inside it is picnic style tables and plastic chairs, no leiderhosen, cow bells or alpine music in evidence. There is not a great deal of room inside but it certainly busy, a big table of agency types are finishing of a cocktail session at the next table. We start with some variations on the Spritz which are very good indeed. Generous measures, served in nice glassware, the bar certainly know their stuff. Onto food and we order a shared meat platter and a couple of traditional fritatten soups. The meat platter is great, really top quality cured meats and a proper portion unlike a lot of places. The soup is a very tasty old school consomme with fried pancake pieces in it. So far we are impressed. This is washed down by a nice carafe of Prosecco which they do on tap.

To follow we have schnitzel and a variety of mains and this is where it goes a bit wrong. Firstly the generosity dries up when the birthday girl is given a solitary frankfurter with not even a bun for her main. The schnitzel is good and a large portion but after a while it becomes very dry to eat and a chore to finish. It needed more seasoning as did the duck egg I had on top, or even a bit of gravy on the side. The sides are a mixed bag, the potato salad and sauerkraut with speck are good but the spatzle with cheese is dreadful, overcooked and underseasoned. It's just mac'n'cheese really, someone should have tasted it first. The desserts are again a mixed bag the strudel is great, really tasty with a nice tartness, I wasn't a fan of the poppy seed cake though others enjoyed it. I was really excited about the baked pancake dish Kaiserschmarnn which I had had before in Munich but this was a tepid effort, not enough compote on the side so bland and dry. Service was not a strong point, everyone very young, cool and casual but also a touch hopeless. It felt like they had opened before being really ready for customers. I can understand the rush to get the Christmas custom under your belt before the lean month of January but the plaster really should be dry in your toilets before opening. In it's defence the basement bar looked really good and was obviously the heart of the business but the rest of it needs a lot more work. The bill with plenty of booze came to over £70 a head which though not barking I felt we could have been better spent elsewhere. This place needs to settle down before I visit again.

david ginsberg - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, December 04, 2013

If you are looking for the best authentic Schnitzel (breaded escalope) this side of Austria I have found it at Boopshi's. The coating 'bubbles' off the meat (choice of veal, chicken or pork) just as it should. The sauerkraut and bratwurst with sweet mustard, which I tasted from a friends meal, was equally delicious.

There is a downstairs bar for those who prefer to snack and drink and lots of other Viennese goodies. If you have waited this long for real Schnitzel to arrive in London your wait is over.

Sunday, November 24, 2013