Portland

113 Great Portland Street, Fitzrovia, London, W1W 6QQ - View on a map

Portland Restaurant In London

We had booked several weeks in advance at this new and stylish venue, however I suspect that this was not the case for the celebrity group we spied at the best table near the kitchen area. Us lowly nonentities were relegated to a windy location which was blasted by cold air every time someone entered or left the place. My companion had to put on a scarf. We were also next to the stairs so everyone who went to the loo passed right by, sometimes giving us a little nudge in the process. The food was a bit lacking in volume, although it could be tasty. My pumpkin soup was lukewarm although the bowl it was in arrived hot. Our potatoes were piping hot and crispy on the outside, and we thought them the highlight of the meal. After we finished our four courses we seriously considered going for a kebab.

Charles
Saturday, February 28, 2015

Had an incredible lunch here recently, brought into sharp relief by subsequently experiencing something pretty grotty at Villandry a week or so later for around the same amount which made me realise just what great value this new spot is. We had the cod and hanger steak mains, both of which were truly lovely and felt modern without sacrificing deliciousness. I was on my lunchbreak so couldn't avail of the scrumptious sounding hazelnut eclair, sadly. What I have to commend, though, is the service: we had our baby with us and though the restaurant is small we didn't feel in the way at any point. The staff were lovely with the baby too. 10 out of 10. We will be back.

whipped - View all reviews by this user