The Square

6-10 Bruton Street, Mayfair, London, W1J 6PU - View on a map

The Square Restaurant In London

We had the tasting menu and the matching wines, and were very impressed by everything including the service. The sommelier was excellent and the atmosphere less stuffy than we'd been led to believe. Top drawer.

Jake - View all reviews by this user
Friday, January 17, 2014

Marvelous food, wonderful surroundings. We couldn't ask for more with the amazing sample menu with wine.

Sarah - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, January 23, 2013

We had been looking forward to eating at The Square for a long time and finally made the decision to go for lunch in November. We decided to have the tasting menu with matching wines rather than the set lunch as we wanted to experience the restaurant at its best. The quality of the cooking was exemplary, I can't fault the dishes. Service was pretty good, our main waiter was young and managed to get our knives and forks the wrong way around for one course but no matter, everyone was pleasant and professional. But, I was a little disappointed that the restaurant did not really seem to be set up to offer the tasting menu at lunch. We received none of the canapés, amuse bouche and only a couple of pieces of nougat afterwards rather than the array of extra treats we have seen from various reviews we have seen. We also enjoyed the staff setting tables up for dinner around us as we finished off - it wasn't late - only about 3pm. I know it sounds a little petty but I wish I had known that lunch time was a simplified service (at no reduction in cost I might add) in which case I'd have made other plans that day and gone in the evening for the full experience.

Ruth
Monday, December 17, 2012

My wife and I were in on Friday 14th September for lunch. This was our second visit (see below) of many more. It was an anniversary weekend in London and the first thing my wife did was tell me how lovely Phil Howard was in person. Still, he did give me the nicest risotto I have ever eaten. A very deep flavoured lobster (broth almost) dish that stopped just short of being overpowering. Each bite was exactly the same until the finish. Top class dining and it was nice to meet the man himself. An as a little flourish they wrote “Happy Anniversary” on our dessert plate. I even took a photograph.

Kevin McG
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I visited the Square Friday 15th June 2012 on a recommendation from a friend and seeing Phil Howard on the telly. We simply had the lunch menu as we were eating later that night. I wont bore you with the menu as it changes frequently save to say I enjoyed every morsel. The main course (a VERY clever) take on steak and chips was a dish I “got” from the start. It really made sense and was extremely clever. Our wine waiter Mohamed was a delightful chap and really knowledgeable. I will look out for him next time. I really recommend this place.

Kevin McG
Thursday, June 21, 2012

What a difference

Back in May I visited this restaurant and wrote a review on the site saying how disappointed I was, I was contacted by the restaurant and invited back, living in Torquay it has taken a while to accept the offer but the wait was very worthwhile.

Offered a glass of champagne on arrival and shown to our table a lovely one in the centre of the restaurant.

The staff were attentive but not intrusive, asked if we needed any help with the menu, gave excellent advise with the wine choice.

The food was lovely, the langoustine with gnocchi a particular delight.

We had a visit from the Head chef who knew exactly who we were and asked how our evening had been.

We had a wonderful evening with delicious food very much a 2 star time. Thank you.

Penny Goldman
Thursday, December 08, 2011

Essex Eating

Essex Eating

Monday, October 15, 2012 - I'm from Essex; therefore I gravitate towards pie with mash, even in a two star restaurant. It’s the natural order of things. Yes, in this case a very swanky example, Game Pie, Savoy Cabbage and Creamed Potato, with a rich game Jus, poured over ceremoniously at the table. Cracking pastry, beautiful rich meaty filling. A dollop of superbly luxurious, whipped, creamy mash. Quite obviously crammed full of butter and cream, and all the better for it...As you may have gathered from the write up, the food at The Square was pretty much faultless.

An American In London

An American In London - MA

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - The tasting menu was a non-stop parade of beauty, textures and flavors. And the best part was the leisurely pace of our meal...The Square's tasting menu is 100 pounds per person, so it wasn't a cheap evening. But we had a magical time. For a restaurant that must see its share of anniversary celebrations, the Square managed to make ours feel like the only one that mattered. Our dinner at the Square stands head and shoulders above our relatively-recent meals at the Greenhouse and Hibiscus.