The Alma (Wandsworth)

499 Old York Road, Wandsworth Town, London, SW18 1TF - View on a map

The Alma (Wandsworth) Restaurant In London

I ate here last night with a friend and I was really impressed.

The staff were attentive and friendly, the service was quick, the food was delicious.

We had 3 courses each and the menu was so varied that the decision was tough! My venison steak was a great choice though I think. My friend commented to the staff about the sauce on his pork (not a criticism but just a comment) and they bent over backwards for us.

Overall very happy with my experience of the Alma and I will definitely be going back soon :)

Sunday, April 07, 2013

We visited the Alma on Friday 4th May. We aren't hard to please - an average burger, a bowl of pasta or a steak would do us fine. On arriving it seemed nice enough. There was good bread. There was an ok atmosphere. Things went down hill pretty quickly.

Our stir fried squid starter was a sugary, oily mulch of squid, cheap egg noodles and slimy vegetables. Despite being hungry, we didn't eat it (which went unnoticed).

The steaks were tough and dry. The accompanying salad was topped with gloopy shop-bought dressing. A mushroom and onion mush was unseasoned and tasteless. The chips were fine. It was £15.95.

The puddings though, were the real shock. Chocolate orange torte was fridge cold, solid as a rock and almost completely tasteless. I can only assume they'd used the ''cooking chocolate'' that used to exist in the Nineties. Our other pudding was a scoop of ice-cream in three flavours: Horlicks, Cornflake and Rum and Raisin. The Horlicks ice-cream was powdery and pasty. The cornflakes one tasted like the slightly cheesy milk that you'd find at the end of a bowl of Frosties.

I really don't mean to be meaninglessly horrible but at this price you expect food to be at the very least, adequate. This was some of the worst food I've eaten in London in the last few years. I would not dream of going back or recommending this place to anyone - it's appalling that they serve this stuff at these prices.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012