Gaucho (Piccadilly)

19 Swallow Street, London, W1B 4DJ - View on a map

Gaucho (Piccadilly) Restaurant In London

We were interrupted eight times by the staff whom were trying to sell us extra wine water etc.

Instead of a relaxing meal it was rushed and very irritating. Value for money zero.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

The food was good but I'm actually quite angry about the wine menu - the waiter gave us a wine menu and the cheapest was £65!! Little did I know is that there is a cheaper menu available but this is never mentioned - total rip off so beware!

John - View all reviews by this user
Monday, December 02, 2013

Service up to the point of being seated was great. However the female server at our table demolished all enjoyment. She was impatient, rude, forgot her "excuse me, may i take your plate" politeness...frankly her service was no better than a run-down cafe in london. The sirloin that was marinated for 48 hours tasted very dry at medium. The lack of proper steak knives was not welcomed despite their claim that the beef was soft enough to not warrant a steak knife. Apart from the pumpkin side dish and a hankering for argentinean beef, i won't set foot into this establishment again. For an overall experience for your hard-earned money, you are better off at Goodman.

kristin
Sunday, December 02, 2012

Please dont be fooled by the look of this restaurant and what it pretends to be. The food is very disappointing. We regularly eat out at some of the best restaurants around London and across the country and this one really failed to impress. We ordered the steak with garlic and olive oil and the braised lamb. Both were cold and tasteless. The chips however werent too bad. The desserts were completely over priced and very small. The baked alaska was as big as an egg cup and not even cooked properly. It was a huge let down. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Rd - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, November 08, 2012

We were literally squashed onto a table which was far too small for the size of our party. My steak was so tough and embarrassingly chewy I had to leave most of it. The buttered carrots were raw. The staff were charming and attentive although our waiter, on clearing, spilled food over my friend. A very sub-standard experience given the high price tag.

A Newton
Sunday, November 04, 2012

Shocking!!

A speciality steak house in the centre of London, it is very difficult how they can get it so wrong.

Never one to complain, however, felt I needed to in this restaurant. Fantastically over-priced and over-rated. My steak was over cooked, on sending it back, it took 20mins to return, meanwhile everything else was cold. The burger on the menu is a disgrace, couldn't wait to leave the place!

Georgie
Tuesday, July 03, 2012

the decor is a bit cheesy but ok. service is fine but it's a bit gimmicky coming out with a steak board. main problem was the food itself. Ordered a ribeye and it had a ridiculous amount of salt on. Asked for a new one with far less salt and they brought out another which again just tasted of salt. the waitress said it is how the chef cooks them. the only thing I could taste was salt. it's not up to much these days - 5 years ago gaucho's were brilliant

James Rotherham
Friday, May 25, 2012

We went to Gaucho as a four piece following on from after work drinks.

We arrived at the restaurant only to be told that we were 15 minutes ahead of our booked time slot of 9.30pm. We were in fact 5 minutes early. We were escorted to the bar where we ordered drinks to fill in the time from our 'early arrival'. After at least 10 minutes, a waitress come over and slammed down two bowls of nibbles and then proceeded to take our drinks order. A further 15 minutes then passed and our drinks eventually arrived. We then questioned how long it would be until our table was ready as by this point we were pretty hungry and the nibbles were going down like nobody's business, we were told that it would be available in another 10-15 minutes, so well past 10pm. At that point we decided that we had had enough and decided to go somewhere else to eat. We told the waitress that we no longer wanted the table and as we wouldn't have the chance to finish our wine with our meal that we would not be expected to pay for the full bottle. The bar manager came over and was extremely amicable and was sympathetic to our frustrations. The bill then came over and we had been charged for a £72 bottle of Malbec, rather than the house bottle of £32. I highlighted this to our waitress who then replied 'you are not familiar with our wine list' ?! This waitress was unbelievable! In addition, she also snatched a drink from one of our group members hands as she started to clear the table! Luckily the bar manager was the hero of the 40 minute debacle which was our dining experience at Gaucho, one which will never be repeated! He actually picked up the tab for us in the end, which was completely unexpected!

Our waitress was rude, arrogant and had clearly forgotten that she worked in a service industry. It is a shame that we never got to eat there, I would have liked to have thought that the restaurant staff and food would have enabled this place to redeem itself, this is something that we will never find out!

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Went there yesterday with 4 friends. This is my 2nd time here. The first time was so-so. This time was worse. I only came because one of my crowd had wanted to try. I have made memo to self NEVER to come back.

The service was nothing special but the food came fairly quickly. The food is very expensive. A mixed platter starter cost £15 and had 10 pieces which had to be cut into minute pieces for 5 people. The steaks were between £20-40 for the the steak alone. Any dressing that you wanted with the steak cost £4 and each of the very small side orders cost another £4 each. Because of the small side you need to order at least 2 of these. You can see how this can become a very expensive meal. Despite this being a South American steak restaurant, the chefs did not prepare my steak the way I asked for: I wanted medium-well done and still the steak was red in the middle and was very salty.

The total bill came to over £250 for 5 people and that doesn't include tip. We didn't have dessert as that would have been another £9 each. This place is overhyped and I am sure there are better and cheaper places out there.

AD - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, January 29, 2012

Generally very disappointed with my first experience of Gaucho. I've lived in London for a number of years but never quite made it through the door of one of their restaurants until recently, in hindsight I'm glad i didn't rush. We booked a table for my brother in laws birthday, for five of us. I was overwhelmingly unimpressed with the chaotic approach to the clockroom service, which was underlined again when we came to leave and they couldn't find half the coats or bags we had checked with them.

With exception of one of the waitresses, who bought the steaks to the table to explain the different cuts of meat to us, the staff were rude, arrogant and clearly rated themselves of greater importance than any of the guests in the restaurant. We own a couple of award winning restaurants ourselves so I know that attractive staff are a bonus, but I would urge Gaucho to reconsider their choice of front of house staff - customer service and politeness should rate more highly than attractiveness.

Whilst the starters had a nice balance of flavours, i was deeply unimpressed with the scallop special when I discovered it was one scallop cut finely into four slices. Not what you expect when paying £11. The steak was one of the best I have had admittedly and cooked very nicely. However the side orders were very small and cold. The service as I have already alluded to was really quite shocking at times. After waiting more than 30minutes between starters and main courses my husband had to get up from the table to chase part of our order and request condiments. There was no check back, no one asked us how our food was or if we wanted more drinks.

I would agree with some of the previous postings, I think you can find an equally nice steak, at better value and with much better service elsewhere. I won't be rushing back, which is a shame, I had high hopes!

SJames