The Gay Hussar

2 Greek Street, Soho, London, W1D 4NB - View on a map

The Gay Hussar Restaurant In London

The Independent

Toby Young - 11/20

Sunday, March 14, 2010 - For mains, I have the Dutch calves' liver sauteed with onions, bacon and paprika, while Caroline goes for the vegetarian goulash with galuska and Charlie has pork medallions with bacon, onions, potatoes and paprika. Again, they've no complaints, but my dish is a shocker. Instead of the delicately fried liver I'm expecting, I receive a pile of dark brown slop. It has the texture of mashed potatoes...I remember the food being a lot better than this. What has happened?

After a month in the UK, a young friend of mine from LA had eaten just about every type of food available. On her last night here I took her to the Gay Hussar, mainly because I don't know of any Californian equivalent. Much as I like the Gay Hussar, for its history, its welcome and other non-food related reasons, I wasn't sure that the food would be anything other than filling and hearty. It was that: it was also delicious, attractively presented and charmingly served. She loved it and so did I!

A decade ago I worked nearby and visited the Gay Hussar once or twice a month. I liked it then, but the food was rarely more than Eastern European home cooking. Last night's dinner was much more than that and I shall be returning as soon as I can.

For the record, we ate foie gras and the cold cherry soup for starters, followed by venison goulash and goose as a main course. All delicious!

Highly recommended!