The Gay Hussar

2 Greek Street, Soho, London, W1D 4NB - View on a map

The Gay Hussar Restaurant In London

The Independent

Toby Young - 11/20

Sunday, March 14, 2010 - For mains, I have the Dutch calves' liver sauteed with onions, bacon and paprika, while Caroline goes for the vegetarian goulash with galuska and Charlie has pork medallions with bacon, onions, potatoes and paprika. Again, they've no complaints, but my dish is a shocker. Instead of the delicately fried liver I'm expecting, I receive a pile of dark brown slop. It has the texture of mashed potatoes...I remember the food being a lot better than this. What has happened?

After a month in the UK, a young friend of mine from LA had eaten just about every type of food available. On her last night here I took her to the Gay Hussar, mainly because I don't know of any Californian equivalent. Much as I like the Gay Hussar, for its history, its welcome and other non-food related reasons, I wasn't sure that the food would be anything other than filling and hearty. It was that: it was also delicious, attractively presented and charmingly served. She loved it and so did I!

A decade ago I worked nearby and visited the Gay Hussar once or twice a month. I liked it then, but the food was rarely more than Eastern European home cooking. Last night's dinner was much more than that and I shall be returning as soon as I can.

For the record, we ate foie gras and the cold cherry soup for starters, followed by venison goulash and goose as a main course. All delicious!

Highly recommended!

Gary Sutton
Wednesday, July 31, 2013

As a Hungarian I was very disappointed with the food at this restaurant and I would not recommend it to anyone. For me it was obvious that everything was from the fridge (you can not prepare a starter in 5 min for 7 people). Some food taste different when it is fresh (like galuska). Some of the food was not what I expected like Cigany gyors tal, instead of smoked salami which is a Hungarian delicacy- they served cheap fried sausage. Snitzel with potato which is Hungarian Sunday lunch, but they served it without any salad and it was not fresh either, which again would have been important.

Edit Darabos
Friday, November 16, 2012

I did not read any reviews before going to the restaurant. I wanted to see for myself, I did not want to be influenced. So, I paid the price of food as the "optional" service charge of 12.5% I refused to pay. It took a long time for food to arrive at the table, and this was a reason why it was cold. Wine - high price for house wine, nothing special. Some paper tissues pinned to the wall - decorations ? And the hygiene - very low standard. I will not go back and will not advise even the hungry ones to go there. The pre-theatre dinner attracts a discount but I was charged a full price.

Elizabeth
Saturday, October 13, 2012

I absolutely strongly disagree of what certain individuals are trying to convince the public "with their own fairy tale stories",what I've learned is that never belive wrong stories of what one stupidly creates ,first of all hungarian resaurants in comparison with english ones they show up to be better,secondly I do not belive they do serve bad quality wine however South Hungary has got a wine region(see Tokay region),traditional goulash is served as traditional ,chefs are well trained,and finally why should a hungarian restaurant look like a pub ? I think there are plenty of english pubs around the UK where you can get plenty of pints,you can see drunken men and women at the same time....and I would be able to continue my review till the next day ,but anyway personally speaking been to this restaurant had a very nice meal,I mostly liked hungarian waitress attitude, nice atmosphere!!!!!!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

I have not been to the Gay Hussar for 7-8 years , and having read the reviews I can say I was a bit concerned that all of my great memories having been there many times in the past, may be spoilt.

We went on a weekday lunchtime and fortunately it was just as I remember. Do not believe any of the bad reviews.

The portions are as hearty and " home cooked" as ever. I was with my Hungarian aunt and uncle and they take some pleasing (!) but we all left vowing to return in a few weeks.

Lunch menu for £22 per head is unbeatable.

If you want somewhere more lively then go to Jamie's latest fad restaurant. If you want great food, well cooked, in a traditional, and historic setting go to the Gay Hussar.

Karoly
Monday, October 17, 2011

On booking the stern booking staff seemed only concerned with what time we would leave the resturant. He then said we had to leave in 120 minutes of our arrival. My main did not come with the rest of the groups meal. We all had to wait adtditional 20 mins to tuck in, by this time their food was growing cold. The staff were blunt, rude unfriendly unwelcoming, awful decor, very cold ambience. the restaurant was tiny, we were shoved in the corner and hurried out. they refused to serve us dessert as they stated our "time was up". appalling customer service. They even refused a group of people away even though half the resturant was empty. The food was filling fresh with big portions but THE SERVICE WAS ABSOLUTELY APPALLING..WOULD NOT RETURN EVEN IF THE MEAL WAS FREE. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

mary ford
Sunday, August 28, 2011

Not good at all

very small portions for the money no atmosphere at all.

We went in august 2011 on a tuesday night it was very quiet night now we know

why. The wine was very expensive as well would not recommend to anybody The Gay Hussar.

anne burton
Thursday, August 25, 2011

Despite a lot of bad reviews on the internet about the Gay Hussar we tried the restaurant anyway. Big mistake. The portions were tiny. The goulash soup consisted of 3 pices of potato and 2 pieces of meat for over £6. The Wiener Schnitzel was mainly breadcrumbs, it was hard to find the meat in it. Again overpriced at £16. We had to wait 90 minutes for our main course to arrive. And having been in the restaurant so long I had to use the rest rooms. The door didn't lock and the towel holder fell apart the moment I took out a paper towel.

Don't go there. You will be disappointed! Maybe it was a great meeting place one day but it's certainly not any more!

Thursday, August 04, 2011

I popped in for a lunch with a friend of mine, we had a wonderful restaurant experience. Very attentive, friendly service and delicious food. Great experience from the moment we entered the place, we were extremely well looked after.The decor and table set up was clean and traditional. We enjoyed our meal in a refined atmosphere with the added charm of classical hungarian music. We would return gladly next time.

Friday, July 29, 2011