The Walpole

35 St Mary's Road, Ealing, London, W5 5RG - View on a map

The Walpole is a wonderful local cafe that serves amazing breakfasts and opens Friday and Saturday nights for dinner. Ever since our first visit we've loved the place and so has everyone we've ever taken there. The staff are friendly, the tables cosy and the paper table cloths add a bistro feel. Crayons available for all kids, big and small, to draw on them and the wall on the walk to the toilet is covered with some of the best drawings.

The owners are the chef and his wife, who is without doubt one of the best hosts I have ever come across. She'll come to your table and talk you through the menu, she's entertaining and very funny and immediately makes you feel at home. The food portions are huge, I'd recommend sharing a starter and you'll probably still need to take some home! Food is homely and delicious and the wine menu superb. I always come away feeling full and happy, what more could you ask for? Simply my favourite restaurant in London.

Vicky - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, February 22, 2014

This is the worst cafe I have ever been to. I went to it after reading the high rated reviews of it.

What a disappointment. First off, the place has a "dirty" look to it. There are brown sheets over the tables which have been covered in ketchup, sugar/salt and oil. Had hey been replaced? NO. Then to the food. It took 25 mins for the food to arrive. And when it did, all of our orders were wrong. Which then took a further 20 mins. This seemed to annoy the "Cook" in the back, because he could be heard swearing quite loudly. How rude and unprofessional. Ridiculous. I promise you, I never write reviews but this one I had to because it was utterly disappointing and a complete joke. Don't go there, there are far better cafes.

Never again.

Kirsty
Saturday, September 07, 2013

We regularly have Dinner at this place, and is one of the most friendliest place in London. The menu is described in length, and will tell you how each dish is cooked. Food is just delicious !!!!!!!!

The portions of both the Main and Dessert are so big and most of the time we had to ask them to be packed for take-away.

Service is the best.......

Highly recommended 10 out 10.

Manhar, Rama, Punit & Alison Joshi
Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Walpole is an underappreciated gem in an area bereft of good, let alone great, eating venues. For those seeking a real taste of great cooking let them seek out the Walpole’s Friday and Saturday dinners. The value for money is outstanding and so is the quality of the food; I do not know how the owners manage both. Eating and enjoying food is the mantra of this establishment. A real dedication to cooking may be discerned, indeed the co-owners both appear to have a vocation.

Whenever an overseas friend is in town, I attempt to get them out to Ealing to eat dinner here. With no exception they all rave about the meals. The nationalities and experience of these diners is unrivalled. All unanimously wish that the Walpole was their local restaurant. My French/Italian friend has unreservedly stated that the Walpole’s risotto is the best she has ever eaten: a real accolade. I have also taken vegetarians and given prior warning about their attendance. The menu has been such that the vegetarian may have benefited and enjoyed the best on offer that night.

Children are welcome. Crayons are available for drawing upon the brown paper “tablecloths”. Adults are also able to show their artistic side with many pictures exhibited on the walls.

As to the service, it is also incomparable in quality. The description by the co-owner of the various dishes offered for dinner is an art form in itself. I usually find myself torn. At this stage the flexibility of offering to switch dishes, i.e. Jersey royals for the pomme puree (namely “cream-with-potatoes”) or another vegetable is seen and, even more, encouraged.

During the day there is also the delight of breakfast and lunch. Again huge portions are the norm and much choice. For those not selecting the fixed options there is the ability to make-your-own from the list which includes both bubble-and-squeak and even chips.

Service is superb with Wendy, one of the owners, wielding a firm hand. The place is usually heaving with a very mixed clientele indicating the high quality, large quantity and low price.

suecat - View all reviews by this user
Monday, August 29, 2011

The Walpole is without doubt the best restaurant in West London. Based in south Ealing they have been serving breakfast, lunch and dinner for the last nine years and the quality has never wavered.

Run by Louis and Wendy the Walpole is headed by two of the most dedicated hard working individuals in the industry, opening for dinner only two nights a week, Friday and Saturday, the Walpole is a treat for any diner. Ex Conran Chef Louis’ menu changes weekly with only two fixed dishes one being the Romney marsh lamb, slow cooked for eight hours! And the other possibly the biggest steaks I have ever laid my eyes on cooked to your liking with a mountain of homemade chips.

Before ordering Wendy gives each table a step by step guide through the menu telling you how each dish is prepared and where the ingredients came from usually British and always the top grade. While this is going on you have to try a raspberry martini, shaken to perfection then pored over a ball of Louis homemade raspberry sorbet, absolutely to die for!

Went for dinner with a friend just the other week and had the most wonderful Sea Trout with asparagus risotto followed by a rum baba, doused in rum syrup and served with panna cotta and the best Kentish raspberries I have ever come across!

When in for breakfast this morning Wendy, knowing my love for British fruit, showed me the Cherries that were being stoned for a dish on this week’s menu, also from the garden of England they were plump and sweet I was tempted to book a table there and then!

I am always very shocked to see that the Walpole has as yet to receive a write up in any of the major prints. Perhaps due to its cafe by day restaurant by night status or maybe due to the fact that they do not advertise and relies on word of mouth alone. I cannot stress how good this Restaurant is.

Gerrie Stevens
Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Walpole is amazing. Portions are enormous, the food is spectacular and it is fantastic value for money (we often get lunch the next day out of our doggy bags). If the guinea fowl is on the menu order it - absolute heaven. Louis is a terrific chef and we adore Wendy who makes this the best experience ever. Try the raspberry martini - surely the best cocktail in London (if you're a bit full have one for pudding - but if the tarte tatin is on then you should try and make room). I can't enthuse enough about The Walpole - breakfasts and lunches are also wonderful - the only downside is that we can't go everyday.

Sarah