Shanghai Blues

193-197 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7BD - View on a map

Shanghai Blues Restaurant In London

I was unfortunate enough to go to Shanhai Blues last night. A friend had paid Groupon £30 and was sent confirmation that the bill up to £89 was covered. The food however was limited to six dim sum dishes (excluding the expensive ones) and two glasses of wine. The most we could have possibly spent given these limitations was about £60. So much for the £89 limit.

The service was almost non-existent and after ten minutes at the table I had to raise my voice to get the attention of a passing waiter. He explained the process of using the voucher by saying that the impossible to achieve limit was Groupon's fault and nothing to do with the restaurant.

The food was average to bad with only one really good dim sum. The spare ribs were tiny and almost cold with a nicely flavoured sauce poured over to add a bit of temperature to something which had obviously been cooked earlier that day. Tough and very chewy too.

I have had similar levels of servive at a notorious restaurant in China Town where it is laughable but also attractively cheap. This manages to be laughable and expensive. They really don't like "voucher clients" and I would heartily recommend that you find another venue.

Richard Joseph
Thursday, October 31, 2013

I found the restaurant on Groupon, and we visited the restaurant on Friday, 23rd August, 2013.

When we ordered our cocktails, part of the voucher, one of the staff came back to our table with 2 vouchers in her hand demanding which one belongs to us and rudely stated all we can get is wine.

The staff was genuinely unkind, and like someone noted before me, you felt like a big nuisance to them just by being there.

We were served quickly, but it was rather annoying as they would be clearing our table as we finished each plate, not giving us a moment to ourselves. In the end, someone came to check if we got our 6 dim sums already, as we confirmed, someone else came and started clearing the table prepping it for the next customer, which I have never seen in my life. It was almost as if they were saying "you finished your meal, now go!"

The food was nice, but we felt very unwelcome and the staff would need extensive training in customer service.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Was impressed with the decor and the food was pretty good (Pearl Liang better though) but the real let down (and the reason we'll not return) is the very unfriendly and abrupt service.

Brett
Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I found the restaurant on Wowcher. The voucher gave me a fantastic price for the meal but the prices listed on the menu were quite notably high. The food quality was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The atmosphere was lovely both in decoration and music. The service, however, did feel slightly cold. I felt as though I was an inconvenience or being judged by the staff. One waitress was lovely but a majority of the others seemed generally curt and almost rude. If the price was lower I would definitely return as the food is absolutely wonderful, but the service makes it not worth the extra cash.

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Went to this class restaurant with friend last weekend. A nice dinner. Staff are very friendly and food is just superb. The only thing is the price. A little bit more than I initially think!

Overall a good restaurant in zone one.

Leehom - View all reviews by this user