Shanghai Blues

We are sorry but this restaurant has closed - The Reader Comments are shown for historical purposes only

I was unfortunate enough to go to Shanhai Blues last night. A friend had paid Groupon £30 and was sent confirmation that the bill up to £89 was covered. The food however was limited to six dim sum dishes (excluding the expensive ones) and two glasses of wine. The most we could have possibly spent given these limitations was about £60. So much for the £89 limit.

The service was almost non-existent and after ten minutes at the table I had to raise my voice to get the attention of a passing waiter. He explained the process of using the voucher by saying that the impossible to achieve limit was Groupon's fault and nothing to do with the restaurant.

The food was average to bad with only one really good dim sum. The spare ribs were tiny and almost cold with a nicely flavoured sauce poured over to add a bit of temperature to something which had obviously been cooked earlier that day. Tough and very chewy too.

I have had similar levels of servive at a notorious restaurant in China Town where it is laughable but also attractively cheap. This manages to be laughable and expensive. They really don't like "voucher clients" and I would heartily recommend that you find another venue.

Richard Joseph