Rock and Sole Plaice

47 Endell Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9AJ - View on a map

My partner and I visited this restaurant yesterday, we were hoping to pop in for a small snack as we were walking around Covent Garden and we had dinner reservations at a lovely Italian restaurant that night.

We walked into the restaurant, someone asked if we wanted to stay in, we said yes and we were showed to this small table, I could barely fit in the corner to sit down, the place was crowded and they squeezed us into a corner.

We had a look at the menu and we wanted to share a plate of chips, soon the waiter informed us that even though they are a chip shop you can't have a plate of chips, you need to buy a whole meal. We then opted for the battered sausage with chips and the waiter wanted to serve us a battered sausage with chips and another plate of chips. All of a sudden the plate of chips was on the menu. I have informed him that we only want the sausage and chips and he has told us that we could not order just one plate of food.

He wanted to make us pay for two plates of food when we did not want this, he did not offer an alternative, he did not offer us alternatives, he just smiled and barely understandably said we can't have what we wanted.

The menu was overpriced for a fish and chip place, the customer service is non existent.

This was an absolutely appalling restaurant, stay away from it

EandM - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, February 15, 2014

It used to be a good place for fish and chips in central London.. Too bad that they decided to multiply by three the prices. Now if I have to pay 20 pounds for some fish and chips I don't want to eat in a basement begging for being served. There are plenty of better places at that point. So no, I won't go back there.

Marcella
Monday, January 20, 2014

The fish was so fresh it was walking on the plate and the batter was crisp and paper thin. We agreed totally with our driver that this was the best place for fish and chips in all of England. If ownership hasn't changed, it rocks!

I live on Vancouver Island in Canada so I know fresh fish. I would love the batter recipe.

Jae
Saturday, July 06, 2013

Went on Saturday, 7 pm in a party of 11. Lovely Fish and Chips, huge portions, cheerful, friendly and helpful staff. Not the cheapest but we were all happy to pay a little extra for quality food and service. I'm happy to recommend it.

Steve - View all reviews by this user
Monday, November 26, 2012

My favorite spot in London for fish and chips. Call me crazy but I even like the cramped space and the sometimes abrupt service. It's frequently very busy and there is a reason for the popularity.

Ed
Saturday, July 07, 2012

My wife had just arrived in England after a 10 hour flight and went out for our 1st dinner in London.

I rarely leave food on my plate, but in this case....

The place was cramped inside and the servers were as cold as ice. It is obvious that no one has coached this team about the importance of first impressions.

Our fish was buried in a very thick-tasteless batter and the "sole" inside was covered with a layer of fatty-dark membrane of some sort.

We knew the UK had more to offer and thankfully found lots of great meals in other places around London.

Friday, June 29, 2012

After seeing this restaurant advertised we were looking forward to trying it. I wish we had not bothered, I have never been so disappointed with a meal. There was barely any fish underneath a thick hard batter that resembled cement render, the chips were almost as bad, and the whole meal was tasteless. Do not get taken in by the ads, leave well alone.

Harry - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, June 10, 2012

Before going to the theatre we were looking for to eat something tasty, and we were not disappointed.The fish was to die for, freshly cooked, and big fat home made chips...just like mamma made. Also, we could sit outside where heaters kept the evening chill away. The tea was the very best cup of tea i have ever experienced away from home, and the staff were smiling, helpful and cheerful, which is more than can be said for many places.Highly recommended, and i shall tell all my friends to go there.

Theresa Cox - View all reviews by this user
Friday, March 23, 2012

Really nice food, prices are a bit dear but if you fancy nice fish& chips its a must!, workers really bubbly and smiley and try to make your stay good, ilike the way you can see them cookin the fish and you can see that the fish is fresh, its definantly a mustt

mys