Akash Tandoori (Northcote Rd)

70 Northcote Road, Clapham, London, SW11 6QL - View on a map

The Akash has been in Northcote Road for ages now but we haven't been for a while. Oh dear. It was full, very full. There was a TV on in the corner beaming Bollywood movies (thankfully without the sound) but it was like having a bad twitch in the corner of your eye. Prompt service of poppadoms. Took ages taking the proper food and drink order. Food took nearly an hour to arrive by which time I was feeling pretty tetchy as were diners on either side of us. Owner spent the entire meal polishing the bottles on his bar. 10 per cent service charge added to the bill. And two glasses of something fizzy arrived (presumably as a way of apologising for rotten service). Not good enough Akash!

Susannah Moss
Thursday, March 07, 2013

I feel a bit bad writing this as I used to really like this place. Three days ago I took my brother there for a treat. It was Friday, not too busy, but after waiting one and a half hours for our food I reminded our waiter (really nice bloke), and within 4- mins our food arrived, well some of it, but half of it cold - this I can't take, as you wonder when the food was fresh - had it been sitting there for an hour waiting to go in the micro etc etc.

We left - and we tried to pay for the booze etc, but they would not let us - which is a point in their favour. Real shame.

Julian
Monday, October 22, 2012

i must be unlucky as every time ive been here over the last 20 years the food has been pretty ropy!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

We had a lengthy wait for food but weren't too bothered as it was an excuse for a catchup. The food was very nice and although the service was 'abrupt' to that poInt it was no more than would be expected in a busy curry house. The bill came to £125.50 between 5 (including optional service) so we split it £25 each. After paying the waiter stuck his hand out and said "theres 50p missing?!" which triggered a bit of an argument. Our intention was not to deduct the 50p but just do a straight split. We were quite taken aback by the persistent argument that then ensued from the waiter over a paltry 50p. We ended up asking for the rest of the (optional) service back because of how we were treated and of course he rapidly backed down and kept the cash. The food was very good but it is not acceptable to question and then argue with paying customers over small change when they have already paid for the meal and a good tip! He clearly felt that they can add whatever service they want and consider it enforceable.

David
Thursday, August 02, 2012

I went yesterday (2nd December 2011) I thought the service was great and I had the best Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi that I have ever had. Perfectly spiced with a beautiful barbequed flavour. Rounded off with a couple of kingfisher beers and the receipt delivered with After Eights always bring a smile to my face. I will be going back.

Robert