Langan's Brasserie

Stratton Street, Piccadilly, London, W1J 8LB - View on a map

Langan's Brasserie Restaurant In London

The Independent

Tracey MacLeod - 12/15

Saturday, March 02, 2013 - A main course escalope of veal Holstein was overfacingly enormous – two continents of breaded meat, topped with overlapping fried eggs, capers, crosshatchings of anchovy, and served with a jug of gravy. Definitely blokes' food. For the ladies, pan-fried seabream with crushed potatoes and rouille was decent, unexciting, gastropubbish fare...Langan's may have dropped off the radar for London's fickle foodies, but it's still a fine, fun lunch spot. And it obviously still has a very healthy fan base.

A very iconic British institution which never fails to please! Dining here always hits the spot and their charming friendly waiters are wonderful, they are so welcoming and never rush you. Every single time I have been here I've been treated to fantastic food and generous portion sizes too.

I've frequented Langans many times over my 15 years working in Mayfair and I must say it's one of my ultimate favourites for breakfast. My eggs benedict or eggs royale are always cooked to perfection and under £10 too... bargain! Lunches here are always a regular thing too and I can happily recommend anything on the menu. My personal favourites are their delicious fish pie, lamb shank and the duck. Last week I had the poached sea trout with samphire & keta caviar butter sauce... it was heavenly. What can I say other than this place is simply perfect for any leisurely breakfast, lunch or dinner with anybody - lovers, family, friends or clients.

Bee - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Had a meal with my granddaughters on Saturday 12th Jan 2013. Very disappointed with the soufflé which was not what we expected and the anchovy sauce had split. The mashed potato was of the instant powdered type and Peroni lager at £12.00 a pint was way over the top. All in all must say the old standards are no longer there and after using Langan's for many years I will not be returning unless there is a return to them.

Brian Gazzard
Monday, January 14, 2013

I read the reviews on here and I took the best of them and was seriously let down. £135 bill (including minus main course), very poor service, waited 30 mins for our table (obviously had £17 G&T waiting in the bar) 40 mins for main course, sent it back as it was stone cold and it was removed from bill, 30 mins for a glass of water and (this sounds so pompous) had to find my wine as they lost it and pour it myself. My other half had a huge (too big) confit of duck, which tasted amazing. Orso in Covent Garden soooooo much better. this was a terrible let down on our anniversary. Rubbish.

Adam H
Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sadly a shadow of its former self.

Very tired, dirty and worn out.

Some staff are pleasant others off hand and downright rude.

Food is poor school dinners.

Sad to see this in such decline as we hope to have a good evening.

Ivan Daniel
Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lunched last week and have to say the food was poor.

Spinach soufflé very disappointing - I recall it used to be quite special.

As ever it was busy, buzzy and our table was well looked after.

Such a shame about the food.

Valerie
Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The last time I was in Langan's I drank too much, criticised the food and had a row with the guv'nor. Lots of fun.

Thirty years later I tried again. Drank less and didn't have a row with anyone. Still good fun though.

My last visit was fairly typical according to the staff that remembered when Peter Langan ruled his roost.

Not much seemed to have changed. The Venetian Room looked a bit careworn, the menu a little predictable. Overall the food was safe and comfortable, the wine quickly topped up and the staff uniformly lovely. Especially the long-standing ones with a sense of humour and an easy wit.

It set us up nicely for a trip to see Hockney at the RA.

We won't wait so long before returning.

Jes - View all reviews by this user
Monday, February 20, 2012

Langan's trades on past glories.

The atmosphere is still excellent - lively and fun and buzzing.

The clientele includes the upmarket, the wideboy and the dodgy.

The food is terrible. All of our tables variety dishes had been cooked an age ago and then re-heated. Everything dry and tasteless.

We had good fun though but would never come again if we wanted a satisfying food experience.

Nick, London