Langan's Brasserie

Stratton Street, Piccadilly, London, W1J 8LB - View on a map

Langan's Brasserie Restaurant In London

The Independent

Tracey MacLeod - 12/15

Saturday, March 02, 2013 - A main course escalope of veal Holstein was overfacingly enormous – two continents of breaded meat, topped with overlapping fried eggs, capers, crosshatchings of anchovy, and served with a jug of gravy. Definitely blokes' food. For the ladies, pan-fried seabream with crushed potatoes and rouille was decent, unexciting, gastropubbish fare...Langan's may have dropped off the radar for London's fickle foodies, but it's still a fine, fun lunch spot. And it obviously still has a very healthy fan base.

Had a meal with my granddaughters on Saturday 12th Jan 2013. Very disappointed with the souffl which was not what we expected and the anchovy sauce had split. The mashed potato was of the instant powdered type and Peroni lager at £12.00 a pint was way over the top. All in all must say the old standards are no longer there and after using Langan's for many years I will not be returning unless there is a return to them.

Brian Gazzard
Monday, January 14, 2013

I read the reviews on here and I took the best of them and was seriously let down. £135 bill (including minus main course), very poor service, waited 30 mins for our table (obviously had £17 G&T waiting in the bar) 40 mins for main course, sent it back as it was stone cold and it was removed from bill, 30 mins for a glass of water and (this sounds so pompous) had to find my wine as they lost it and pour it myself. My other half had a huge (too big) confit of duck, which tasted amazing. Orso in Covent Garden soooooo much better. this was a terrible let down on our anniversary. Rubbish.

Adam H
Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sadly a shadow of its former self.

Very tired, dirty and worn out.

Some staff are pleasant others off hand and downright rude.

Food is poor school dinners.

Sad to see this in such decline as we hope to have a good evening.

Ivan Daniel
Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lunched last week and have to say the food was poor.

Spinach souffl very disappointing - I recall it used to be quite special.

As ever it was busy, buzzy and our table was well looked after.

Such a shame about the food.

Valerie
Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The last time I was in Langan's I drank too much, criticised the food and had a row with the guv'nor. Lots of fun.

Thirty years later I tried again. Drank less and didn't have a row with anyone. Still good fun though.

My last visit was fairly typical according to the staff that remembered when Peter Langan ruled his roost.

Not much seemed to have changed. The Venetian Room looked a bit careworn, the menu a little predictable. Overall the food was safe and comfortable, the wine quickly topped up and the staff uniformly lovely. Especially the long-standing ones with a sense of humour and an easy wit.

It set us up nicely for a trip to see Hockney at the RA.

We won't wait so long before returning.

Jes - View all reviews by this user
Monday, February 20, 2012

Langan's trades on past glories.

The atmosphere is still excellent - lively and fun and buzzing.

The clientele includes the upmarket, the wideboy and the dodgy.

The food is terrible. All of our tables variety dishes had been cooked an age ago and then re-heated. Everything dry and tasteless.

We had good fun though but would never come again if we wanted a satisfying food experience.

Nick, London
Saturday, December 17, 2011

Had not been to Langhams for at least 5 years so thought would try it again but now wish we had not done so.

Langhams used to be good but now is tired, jaded and in need of some urgent re-decoration. The toilets both male and female were filthy dirty and we could not tell when they were last cleaned properly. However none of this would have really matter if the food had been good but it wasnt.

The restaurant (Ground Floor) was busy which we suppose it should be on a Saturday night and the atmosphere was buzzing although a little too much 'Bling' was very apparent.

However the food is were Langhams failed to impress at all. We did not bother with starters and just ordered main courses and desserts. One of the 'Saturday Night Specials' was roast beef with roast potatoes & yorkshire pudding which literately consisted of 2 slices of roast beef, 2 roast potatoes & 1 yorkshire pudding with some watery gravy. Another course ordered was liver & bacon and this was the thinnest piece of liver we had ever seen which was complimented with 2 bits of undercooked and fatty bacon. Desserts when they eventually arrived were very uninspiring and totally bland. (Lumpy custard for a start)

The way the food, which is mean, boring and pretty tasteless was served and presented at Langhams reminded me of school dinners when I was a child but not so the prices.

Overall a bad experience so will not be returning for the simple reason that there are so many other better restaurants in the West End that provide great food with great service so why waste your money here at Langhams.

Lee Aspinall - View all reviews by this user