101 Thai Kitchen

352 King Street, Hammersmith, London, W6 0RX - View on a map

I have found that the standard of the food and service has deteriorated over time. I used to be a fan, having visited this place for the first time a few years ago, but after an absence of almost a year, was not as charmed as I have been on my return.

There were two of us, and as with others who've reviewed, the mains arrived at different times, and the first one before we'd finished our starter.

I had noticed in the past that spiciness and also quality to a certain degree varied depending on who was in the kitchen. I can only assume that personnel changes have meant that this place is now much more of a gamble than it used to be. A shame.

Mary B
Thursday, August 23, 2012

Me and my wife visited this place on the 1st of June for dinner.

There are several Thai restaurants we frequently visit (and we have fallen in love with their food and cooking), but we specially visited 101 Kitchen because one of our friends (who's fiancée is Thai) very strongly recommended as this is one of the best.

The staff, we found very polite, pleasant and attentive. We were not at all happy with the food tho... We had a large platter of starters (a mix) and spicy papaya salad, a shrimp salad and 2 curries and a stir fry (our idea was to sample as many dishes.. and enjoy as much). Everything we tasted was below average.

We didn't go there for friendly staff or cosy décor... we went their for good food, unfortunately, It is Not there!!

London has some very good Thai restaurants that we always visit (one in EarlstCt. one in a Irish pub in E.finchley, One in Earlsfield, and another in Shepherds Bush.... they are so good, happy to write a review for them anywhere) sadly, 101 would not go into that list.

In fact since then, anything my friend suggests or recommends we now take with a pinch of salt...

Pubudu Hewage
Tuesday, June 05, 2012

We had dinner at your restaurant on Friday the 19th Aug.

We live nearby and we have been in your restaurant a number of times, as we found the food quality very good. Unforgettably at this visit, we had a very bad experience in terms of service:

My partner had his food served before mine, and after several asking, I received my dish by the time he finished his, with about 30m delay.

We went out to dine together and I must say it was the most frustrating experience. Especially the fact we have been ignored by the staff.

Also we have been offered complimentary greens with our dishes, which at the end it was added to our bill, for an almost £7.

No one said sorry and when we paid the waitress acted like she doesn't understand what we are saying about the greens.

We spent £45 and left very disappointed.

We would not have mind waiting long to get our food together, especially we had starters, but I believe we are rightly upset by this service.

We will not be returning for a while I am afraid, might be never, because of this experience, which is shame, as we have liked dining at this place before.

Klara
Tuesday, August 23, 2011

This place was recommended to us by a friend of my wife, both of which are Thai and very particular about "their" food.

It was the first place we had Thai food, where I did not have to listen to my other half ranting on about how Western blandness ruined the (arguably) best food in the world.

We have been to 101 several times and found the food consistently good and "tasting just like at home". I think the fact half of guests there are Thai says a lot about the kitchen and the food they deliver, although despite taking spice well some of the dishes left me wanting for a fire engine.

It is not a stunning restaurant, posters of Kho Samui in cheap frames certainly don't portray fine dining, but the basic decoration conveys a somewhat Thai atmosphere which reminds me of some places I ate at in Bangkok.

Staff doesn't swarm over you unless you call for them, so you can actually have a conversation without being interrupted.

To sum up I find the place perfect if you want to experience Thai food the way it should taste. No fancy diamond encrusted buddha in the corner or designer furniture, no arrogant staff trying to sell you overpriced wine. This is a place back to basics; reasonably priced, authentic food for those who KNOW what it should taste like.

Christian
Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 8/10

Monday, January 17, 2011 - The star dish overall was this fried sea bass, served whole but helpfully filleted into two gorgeously crispy halves. The flesh of the fish was moist and delicately sweet, with the colourful salad topping consisting of shallots and red chillies and bean sprouts amongst, I'm sure, much else. The flakes of sea bass fell apart with the gentlest of prods, their crispy coating working addictively in the mouth. Very good indeed...The food at 101 Thai Kitchen was excellent, of course, but there was something about the honest presentation and bold colours and flavours that I just found irresistible - the character of the place just shone.

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 5/10

Monday, January 17, 2011 - We start with five tiny spring rolls - they are pale and limp and could have done with a few more minutes in the deep fyer but are otherwise the filling is crunchy and fresh. The Pad Thai is also disappointing - the noodles are sickly sweet and it seems as if not enough fish sauce and too much sugar has been used...The Pad Takrai, which is a recommendation I eventually prised from our waitress, is a better option. Plump prawns are teamed with green beans and garlic have a fiery chilli heat soothed by the fragrant lemongrass which features in the dish.