101 Thai Kitchen

352 King Street, Hammersmith, London, W6 0RX - View on a map

I have found that the standard of the food and service has deteriorated over time. I used to be a fan, having visited this place for the first time a few years ago, but after an absence of almost a year, was not as charmed as I have been on my return.

There were two of us, and as with others who've reviewed, the mains arrived at different times, and the first one before we'd finished our starter.

I had noticed in the past that spiciness and also quality to a certain degree varied depending on who was in the kitchen. I can only assume that personnel changes have meant that this place is now much more of a gamble than it used to be. A shame.

Mary B
Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 8/10

Monday, January 17, 2011 - The star dish overall was this fried sea bass, served whole but helpfully filleted into two gorgeously crispy halves. The flesh of the fish was moist and delicately sweet, with the colourful salad topping consisting of shallots and red chillies and bean sprouts amongst, I'm sure, much else. The flakes of sea bass fell apart with the gentlest of prods, their crispy coating working addictively in the mouth. Very good indeed...The food at 101 Thai Kitchen was excellent, of course, but there was something about the honest presentation and bold colours and flavours that I just found irresistible - the character of the place just shone.

Gourmet Chick

Gourmet Chick - 5/10

Monday, January 17, 2011 - We start with five tiny spring rolls - they are pale and limp and could have done with a few more minutes in the deep fyer but are otherwise the filling is crunchy and fresh. The Pad Thai is also disappointing - the noodles are sickly sweet and it seems as if not enough fish sauce and too much sugar has been used...The Pad Takrai, which is a recommendation I eventually prised from our waitress, is a better option. Plump prawns are teamed with green beans and garlic have a fiery chilli heat soothed by the fragrant lemongrass which features in the dish.