Green Papaya

191 Mare Street, Hackney, London, E8 3QE - View on a map

I live just around the corner from the Green Papaya, and it's always been our absolute favourite place to eat out. I don't think we could move away now!

The staff are always pleasant and helpful, the food is fresh, hot and delicious, and the prices nice and low.

The Banh Tom starter- a confection of shredded sweet potato and prawns deepfried- is so delicious, and the slow cooked lamb with lemongrass and coconut milk is incredibly addictive. All the food is excellent, though.

It's really spoiled us for other local places, as they are always weak in comparison, I have no idea how the others stay in business.

I have taken so many visitors to the Green Papaya and it's always been a big success. You can also order food to take away, although they don't deliver.

I defy anyone not to love Green Papaya :-)

Monday, March 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Green Papaya on Valentine's day this year. Finding the place was easy, however, getting a parking space was a veritable nightmare.

The ambience was so-so and the service acceptable.

We had crispy squid with basil sauce, which was delicious. We then had fried rice, lamb curry and king prawns in ginger sauce - all were tasty and the portion sizes were respectable.

My husband had lemonade and coke as he was driving; I had warm sake, which again was quite satisfactory.

We wanted to have some dessert but were told that the restaurant has stopped serving them (suggestion - please update menu card accordingly).

On the whole, nice place to eat out and not too expensive.

Shaon - View all reviews by this user