Rodizio Rico (Islington)

77-78 Upper Street, Islington, London, N1 0NU - View on a map

Rodizio Rico (Islington) Restaurant In London

I don't know why other people were saying bad things about this restaurant. I was worried when reading the reviews because at that point I had already paid a deposit for a group of 20 people. As it happens the service was excellent, the food good, the bbq kept coming very often and we had a wonderful time. Only a couple of friends mentioned their beef being tough but most of us found it very delicious.

Karime
Thursday, December 19, 2013

Tonight I broke up with Rodizio Rico.

We'd not been for a few years but I remembered my first few times fondly. Since then, the London street food scene has absolutely exploded and I can get a far superior meal in a once abandoned carpark in Hackney or Shoreditch for a fraction of the price but it was a special occasion so we gave it another shot.

We visited tonight for my birthday and I was giddy like a school kid when the other half told me thats where she was taking me.

Noticed straight away that the BBQ had jumped from £18 last time I went to £25 now.

Salad bar - well really who cares. You're not here for that! It was however, and the Lasagne was as righteous as I remember. Crumbed bananas (definitely were not plantains) were spot on.

Then came the meat. LOTS of sausages. It seemed like a constant stream of sausages. Pork and Chicken tonight. Both were great. Beef was thin on the ground though. One very tough skirt steak did the rounds which looked great but was tough as leather. I had to give up on chewing a few mouthfuls and spit them out. Not ideal!

Another course announced as 'beef neck' was better, but the overall feeling was they weren't seasoning their cuts much and the meat was of a poor standard. Chicken hearts - we passed. Lamb - very dry. Pork loin - VERY dry.

£65 for 2 for BBQ, a beer and a wine, with a 10% service charge. Left feeling full but sad that it was to be the last time we'd be coming back. Service very much a case of bringing you a drink then leaving you to it. Nobody concerened with the experience or wether we were enjoying ourselves. No second drink offered. No beers on tap either.

I was also surprised to see the restaurant half empty at 7.30pm on a Friday night. Good luck Rodizio Rico!

Paul Harding