Babylon at The Roof Gardens

The Roof Gardens, 99 Kensington High Street, London, W8 5SA - View on a map

Babylon at The Roof Gardens Restaurant In London

Really very happy, fantastic food, great service and outstanding views! The lunch is relatively reasonable as well- £24 per person for a three course meal.

Andy
Saturday, April 14, 2012

I had been meaning to go to this restaurant for some time and when I saw a deal on Lastminute.com it prompted me to book it. I initially meant to go with my fiance but when he had to work late went with my sister. I have to say that initially we had a pleasant evening and meal. Food was good and we were enjoying our time there. The only disappointment was the arrogant and rude waiter that was serving us. He could barely speak or understand english and so I had to constantly repeat my orders to him. He then thought we were American and said he didnt understand the American accent, when I had to point out we were in fact Londoners! However, the worse part came when I asked him to remove the extortionate service charge. Funnily enough he understood that part! He was unhappy to do so and asked us why we didnt want to pay it. I told him it was optional and I didnt want to pay it and he kept on pressing me, saying he would have to get his manager involved. Clearly all tactics to embarrass you in to paying. I stood my ground and said that I had booked through lastminute.com and despite the restaurant being in an affluent position (where I guess to most people £10 service charge is pocket money), it was more than a lot of people earn an hour and certainly more than I do as a stay at home mum of a 1 year old. I mean it certainly was not warranted considering he only took our order and brought a few plates to our table. I offered to round it up so he did get a tip, but one I felt comfortable paying but he refused it and as a last snub said "thankfully not all our customers are like you!" How rude is that? We was then made to feel as if we were doing a walk fo shame out of the restaurant. Not pleasant. This didnt spoil the meal and overall experience for me, but did mean that we came away slating the waiter and feeling disappointed to say the least with the service.

Overall worth a visit, but perhaps they need to look at the staff they employ or perhaps their policy on service charge. I have been to restaurants where if you pay on card they leave you the option to increase the amount you pay as a tip on your card.

Olivia
Wednesday, March 28, 2012

We went to Babylon in order to celebrate a special occasion recently and were unfortunately extremely disappointed with our experience. The ambience was pleasant and our starters were good, however, that is where our enjoyment of the evening ended. After quite a long wait our main courses arrived. We had both ordered the lemon sole as a main course which was described as baked, however, when it arrived it was absolutely tasteless and the potatoes were rock solid. When we informed our waiter, he explained that it had actually been boiled in a bag "as stated on the menu". We stated that this was not how it had been described and that it was very disappointing. He then said that he would ask the manager to come and speak to us. Whilst the waiter was polite and helpful, unfortunately, the manager was not. He offered us a free drink with our coffee as a replacement for our expensive and inedible main courses which was plainly inadequate. To add insult to injury, when we were in the middle of our coffees the manager told us that our table had been booked for 10:30pm (our reservation had been for 9pm) and that he would move us to the "cosy" lounge. The lounge was, in fact, the entrance area where we had to perch on tiny green stools. We were then informed by another member of staff that we should have been allocated a two and a half hour slot for our table. The following week we received our confirmation booking email, which we should have received prior to attending the restaurant, confirming that we would be allocated two and a half hours for our meal. We are extremely disappointed that what should have been a special evening was ruined and that we did not receive so much as an apology from the restaurant upon expressing our dissatisfaction.

Emily Vars
Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Really disappointing. Used to go here when i was young and it was fabulous, but we stopped going because the food went down hill and little has changed. Flavours just not that great or inspiring, terrible soggy "roast" potatoes with the roast and very over priced. Gardens looked a bit run down and when we went on a sunday they were even closed! They certainly should have told us this before, as you expect to be able to see the garden at the "roof gardens"! It's the only reason you would pay such high prices for such average food! Greeting staff were offensively rude and unhelpful, and service in the restaurant wasn't great. Bloody Mary was watery. What a a disappointing Sunday Lunch.

Emily May