Babylon at The Roof Gardens

The Roof Gardens, 99 Kensington High Street, London, W8 5SA - View on a map

Babylon at The Roof Gardens Restaurant In London

Really very happy, fantastic food, great service and outstanding views! The lunch is relatively reasonable as well- £24 per person for a three course meal.

Andy
Saturday, April 14, 2012

I had been meaning to go to this restaurant for some time and when I saw a deal on Lastminute.com it prompted me to book it. I initially meant to go with my fiance but when he had to work late went with my sister. I have to say that initially we had a pleasant evening and meal. Food was good and we were enjoying our time there. The only disappointment was the arrogant and rude waiter that was serving us. He could barely speak or understand english and so I had to constantly repeat my orders to him. He then thought we were American and said he didnt understand the American accent, when I had to point out we were in fact Londoners! However, the worse part came when I asked him to remove the extortionate service charge. Funnily enough he understood that part! He was unhappy to do so and asked us why we didnt want to pay it. I told him it was optional and I didnt want to pay it and he kept on pressing me, saying he would have to get his manager involved. Clearly all tactics to embarrass you in to paying. I stood my ground and said that I had booked through lastminute.com and despite the restaurant being in an affluent position (where I guess to most people £10 service charge is pocket money), it was more than a lot of people earn an hour and certainly more than I do as a stay at home mum of a 1 year old. I mean it certainly was not warranted considering he only took our order and brought a few plates to our table. I offered to round it up so he did get a tip, but one I felt comfortable paying but he refused it and as a last snub said "thankfully not all our customers are like you!" How rude is that? We was then made to feel as if we were doing a walk fo shame out of the restaurant. Not pleasant. This didnt spoil the meal and overall experience for me, but did mean that we came away slating the waiter and feeling disappointed to say the least with the service.

Overall worth a visit, but perhaps they need to look at the staff they employ or perhaps their policy on service charge. I have been to restaurants where if you pay on card they leave you the option to increase the amount you pay as a tip on your card.

Olivia