Mestizo

103 Hampstead Road, London, NW1 3EL - View on a map

Mestizo Restaurant In London

Things of note about Mestizo: wonderful margaritas! Best I've had in London in a long time. The service was also pleasant and attentive enough. The food on the other hand was mediocre at best. Even my local cinema does better nachos! The guacamole was a green watery mush with onions in it that looked like they were chopped with an axe. The decore can only be described as "uncosy". You can't help but feel exposed in this large open plan dining room kind of space, with huge windows and no view.

Not. Going. Back.

Elena
Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mestizo is by far the most authentic Mexican restaurant in London. I've been a fan of Mestizo since they opened 8 years ago. My absolute favourite are the flautas which I recommend to everyone to have!

Also, Mestizo offers various gastronomic festivals throughout the year which is great because you can try loads of new stuff during the tamales, enchiladas festival, etc.

For main dishes the molcajete mestizo is an absolute must! It's delicious and perfect to share.

JGoRice - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, March 28, 2013

Disgusting service, the staff are totally rude and seem to have no training or skils when it comes to customer service. The food is nice but no food is that nice to put up with that kind of service. They all need firing.

Chanelle Vidal
Friday, March 22, 2013

I went last night and the molcajete was excellent. The service at Mestizo is very professional and the staff are friendly and make you feel at home.

Brian Lannon
Thursday, March 21, 2013

Went to Mestizo last night with my girlfriend for our anniversary, I lived in Mexico for a year teaching so I had quite high expectations but the restaurant was recommended by one of my mexican students. Contrary to other reviews we had excellent service, though maybe they've wised up! they even had a seperate tequila menu, waitress took time to recommend a nice drink, the waitress also realised my girlfriend was wheat intolerant and bought a special menu. The food was nicely prepared, generous portions, and mostly pretty authentic. especially the tamales, which could have been out of a market in downtown mexico city. On the other hand was slightly disappointed with the cuilacoche and nopales (corn mushroom and cactus) - just didn't have that much flavour but hey - guess it's gotta be shipped from somewhere. All in all a very nice experience with real mexican staff (I checked) and reasonable prices.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I thought that the service was terrible! We went as a table of 12 for a party. Some of the guests ordered drinks and waited up to 20 minutes for cocktails. The first waiter took the order from one side of the table and then left. Then we managed to order for our side of the table later on which meant none of us got to eat together. As if this wasn't bad enough then when some food arrived the waiters announced the dishes wrong so people got the wrong food - the waitress then decided to start slamming down plates in an inappropriate manner as though it was our fault.

I don't know if it is just me, but the food is not great there - I expected a lot better considering the prices. Then they had the cheek to charge us 12.5 pc service charge. For what service was this may I ask? I could have done a better job of waiting on tables with my eyes closed and hands tied behind my back!!

Thursday, October 11, 2012

i heard about this restaurant from a mexican friend and it does seem very popular with the mexican ex pat community .

to me it is without doubt the most authentic mexican restaurant i have been to in london, the tacos are excellent and there is a good choice of mexican beers and tequila .

service can be patchy sometimes but always found them to be very friendly if sometimes a little slower than you would like living in london .

it is a large menu and you have a lot of choice but if you want a decent taco it is an excellent choice.

shane
Tuesday, July 03, 2012

People from this restaurant likes to take the advantage of the customers. Cold food, service charged around 80£ (lol!) PLUS THE FINAL BILL, which was 500£, and arrogant, manager. The value of the money is very far far away from the right value.

My advice is: If you don't like money and like arrogant and rude people, mestizo is the perfect place to go!Good luck...

Robert
Monday, April 30, 2012

Horrible service, horrible value of the money. the people from this restaurant are arrogant( including the manager) , and why I am telling this? Simple, we had a big group on Saturday 28th of April, 3 B-days, and the staff working there were completely rude with us, they served the dinner at the same time as the starters, and after 1hour waiting, then they were bringing drinks and cocktails for some people but they didn't write which person drink or it this and that. Plus, in the end we had to do all calculations because the bill was very high, and collect the money, the restaurant was only and exclusively worry about their money and as everybody knows, the service charge is optional, obviously everyone will pay the service but the customer has to decide if he wants to pay or not, in this restaurant they gave us the bill (590£ we were 15) plus 66£ of service charge, they didn't ask us if we wanted or not, just included in the bill!!! The food was ok, but the rest was rubbish I would give them -1 star

Fernando
Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mestizo seems to be the place most likely to be recommended by Mexicans living in London so I had to give it a try. I have to say that the restaurant exceeded my expectations by far. After some spicy "jaladas" (cheese filled jalapeno peppers that you should avoid if you're a cry baby but MUST relish on if you can take a little heat and want to try something unique) my partner and I went for the taco tray, which is presented glamorously and provides the chance to try many different fillings, all very interesting, though the roast pork "carneetas" was our absolute favourite. Being in a Mexican restaurant with a very impressive tequila selection, we had to give the margheritas a go, and the strawberry marg was really refreshing and tasty (you can really feel the tequila here, which makes a nice difference from the watery stuff I've had in most London bars). Nonetheless, we agreed that next time we're here we'll ask for red wine just to see if the pairing works (being so full of lively flavours, we trust Mexican food might go pretty well with a fragrant Cabernet Sauvignon). The staff were friendly and helpful when it came to solving our (obvious) doubts round the menu, despite the fact that it was a Saturday and the place was packed. Will come back to try their Sunday brunch.

gabrielcarriere - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tamarind and Thyme

Tamarind and Thyme

Saturday, August 10, 2013 - From the hot buffet, we tried a bit of everything...Green chile chicken enchilada, a dried pork dish, stewed beef, chicken in a cream sauce, rice and beans, a tamal with beans, and an empanada with peppers and cheese. The stewed dishes were alright but I loved the simplicity of their beans and their enchilada was excellent. The tamal was delicious but oh so heavy...It was a great brunch with a very good varied spread of typical and not so typical Mexican dishes and as it wasn’t too busy that day, they were fine with us lingering past the two hour limit.

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

A Rather Unusual Chinaman

Monday, July 23, 2012 - Things get a little blurry at this point (the margaritas are punchy, especially if you go big) but we definitely enjoyed ourselves. Items such as the flautas (rolled corn tortiallas and then fried) and tacos that I love from El Burrito were good, as was the queso fundido, a glowering pot cheese and mushroom...I had a grand old time at Mestizo. It is far from fancy but it was perfect for my catch up with some friends, with solid food and drinks. A strange part of town, but worth a trip.

Cheese and Biscuits

Cheese and Biscuits - 6/10

Monday, March 14, 2011 - The Gordita was a new one on me, a kind of fried corn pancake thing filled with pabellon - shredded beef with a tomato/chilli sauce. Crunchy on the outside, not too greasy, and containing a decent amount of moist beef, it was a very good example of what street food can be - pleasant texture contrasts, edible without cutlery, tasty and addictive. At 4.50 it wasn't hugely expensive either. At 7.20 however, the flautas couldn't really justify the markup...The frustrating truth is, if you stuck to beers and the smaller dishes and turned a blind eye to the prices, you could have a genuinely lovely meal at Mestizo. The stuff they do well they do very well, and the stuff they don't do well is easily avoided.