Bingham

61-63 Petersham Road, Richmond, London, TW10 6UT - View on a map

Bingham Restaurant In London

The Independent

Amol Rajan - 8/10

Sunday, November 14, 2010 - The three-course set lunch is 38 pounds per person, and comes with an excellent amuse-bouche: celeriac and vanilla mousse with poussin (salty and moist) and crispy bits of apple. C has the organic salmon with a very clever courgette-and-basil relish, strips of squid and crispy ginger. There are hints of Tokyo in this. My charming venison carpaccio, with a creamy truffle mayonnaise and tiny pickled cauliflowers, hints more at Taunton. Both are marvellous.

Telegraph

Jasper Gerard - 8/10

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - My main course of slow-cooked suckling pig and seared scallop is a lovely coupling. But amid the expected - strips of crackling, some slightly underpowered apple puree, really good 'pig's head' in croquette form, asparagus, a tiny dollop of creamy mash - unexpected pleasures lurk. Lentils, for instance, mildly spiced with coriander and cumin. This is complex cooking masterfully executed, which recently won Shay Cooper his first Michelin star...This is British and it deserves a medal.

+ Show more critic reviews

In one word, awesome ;-)

Two of us went for a birthday celebration on a Thursday evening. It's in a lovely location and the dining room is pitched just right - not too grand, not too cosy. It's a shame it was winter as you can see the view of the gardens and river would be beautiful.

But this is all peripheral...what about the main event - the food!

We had the very reasonably priced tasting menu (£60). Without sounding like a bore, I've had quite a few tasting menus over the years and visited quite a few Michelin starred restaurants. This was one of the most inventive and refreshingly novel ones that I've sampled. Contrary to other reviews, I would say portion size was spot on. I was pretty much at bursting point by coffee. Highlights? Frankly, it is difficult to pick anything that wasn't a highlight...

On top of that, service was fantastic - attentive and friendly, but not over powering.

I can't recommend it highly enough and intend to return next summer so we can take advantage of the view as well.

P.S. I heard from a waiter that they've lost their Michelin star. I really would ignore that - it must have been a very bad night!

Ed Gossage