Khoai Cafe (Crouch End)

6 Topsfield Parade, Crouch End, London, N8 8PR - View on a map

This place has really went down hill. I have been coming here over the last 5 years and the service and food quality has deteriorated a lot over this time.

I agree with the other reviews - the staff are disinterested and sometimes rude. They are not helpful.

I notice the restaurant is not as busy as before. I am not surprised.

Has management changed? If they do not address these issues of food and service it is likely it will continue to be quieter.

Colincyc - View all reviews by this user
Sunday, October 07, 2012

One of our favourite local Crouch End eateries, eaten there easily a dozen times in the past year. Of the reviews below, I agree the service isn't as friendly or fluffy as it could be - a couple of times I've had to re-ask for a glass of tap water, but they're often reeeeally busy and so it's easily forgiven. And why are they busy? Because of the yummy food served at a resonable price! Tried a lot of their dishes - mainly the noodles, soup noodles and specials on the back page - favourites include prawn bun sa; bun thit nuong (sizzling pork with vermicelli and salads); bun cha gio (mini spring rolls on vermicelli, salads and dipping sauce) and, of course, pho.... MMMMM. Topped off with vietnamese beers or jasmine tea, we really like it!

LizzieLondon
Thursday, October 04, 2012

Unfortunately my review of this place is overall negative. I ordered the prawn Bun Hue (being a pescatarian) and quarter of the way in to the dish (which actually had a horrible layer of oil which started to solidify quite quickly), I noticed bits of beef in the broth. I spoke with the waiter who informed me that all of their broths were made with chicken and beef (but had omitted to tell me that when ordering). He told me that as a vegetarian, it was my responsiblity to ask whether any food I ordered was meat free. I advised him that the menu didn't specify that the broth contained meat and he directed me to the back page of the menu where there was an asterix stating what he said (but no asterix next to the dish I ordered from the menu). He continued to be rude and not very apologetic or accomodating.

I ordered the prawn mango salad instead which was actually really delicious (and my two friends also enjoyed their food) but when the bill came he had charged for the Bun Hue. I argued my point over and over again and he remained that it was my fault. In the end I said I would pay for half of the Bun Hue and he walked off in a grump. We all left the restaurant feeling like the situation could have been handled a lot better!

Freya M
Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Went there last night. Probably the worst restaurant service I've experienced at home or abroad. Waiting staff completely disinterested. We were a group of 6. After sitting down we waited a good 20mins for anyone to come near us - so we sat there without drinks during this time. Waiter eventually took our order without a hint of interest or a smile - and this set the tone for the entire evening. We ordered the Ha Noi beer but were brought the Saigon beer instead, to be told only when I asked that the Ha Noi beer wasn't available. At no point during or after our meal were we asked if everything was ok. The food was ok, but nothing special. The desserts were all frozen solid. We wouldn't voluntarily have left a tip, but there was a 12% service charge. No-one spoke to us as we left. We spent 3 weeks in Vietnam earlier this year - eating out a lot, and were warmly welcomed everywhere we went. The Khoai surely won't continue for long to be as busy as it was last night if others have a similar experience.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

What happened to this place? I went in on a Sunday lunch time and the staff looked as though they didn't want to serve me. The waiter barely looked at me while taking the order and brought out my drink at the same time as my meal,

The noodles was really dry and didn't taste like they used to. I ate about half and ordered the bill.

Has there been a change of management there? There is a lot of word of mouth in Crouch End and I'd heard good things but I would't recommend it to anybody.

John
Sunday, June 10, 2012

We went on a Friday night - it was busy but the staff were able to find a table for 3 after a short wait. Staff were friendly and competent and kept us up-to-date on timings etc.

The menu had quite a few Vietnamese specialties to tempt and we tried the hot prawn noodle soup, spicy chicken & noodle salad and a beef in a spicy sauce.

Overall we thought the food was very fresh tasting and quite authentic [we've been to Vietnam] but could've been spicier [or asked how spicy we wanted it when we ordered] and the meat/fish element wasn't very generous - but these are minor points. Nice local venue, reasonable prices and we'll definitely return.

cut2qwik - View all reviews by this user
Saturday, November 19, 2011

The food and service here have really gone downhill. We had to re-order the starter twice as the quality was so poor and the mains were not much better! The waiters were grumpy and couldn't care less. I would definitely not recommend this place.

felicity hampton