Sam's Brasserie & Bar

11 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London, W4 4PH - View on a map

Sam's Brasserie & Bar Restaurant In London

We visited Sam's Brasserie for a birthday meal at the end of last month. The restaurant itself is a nice, relaxed space with plenty of room between tables. Service was nice and friendly and food was good, with notable mentions for some nice plump oysters, fantastic scallops with risotto and salsa verde, and some irony rich lamb's kidneys on toast. Cauliflower fritters as a side were delicious and not oily - I could easily see myself devouring them on their own if stopping in for just a couple of drinks!

Brown paper style place mats with the printed menu for the day on were a nice touch too.

Only negative came with dessert - sorbets were lovely and refreshing however, sticky toffee pudding had obviously been warmed up in the microwave and had ended up dry around the edges with the slight acrid taste of burnt sugar in the background as a result.

Overall though, a good value, nicely laid out local restaurant which I would happily go to again, perhaps on one of their live music nights which sadly for us didn't coincide with our visit this time!

SJP - View all reviews by this user
Thursday, August 16, 2012

It was that awkward week between Christmas and New Year when London is half shut and there isnít a great deal to do. We were keen to do a bit more with baby G than the usual trip to the park or shopping so we caught up with Big Matt and his family for a play in a park in Chiswick and then lunch. The park didnít quite work as we parked in the wrong place and once we got to the park it started raining. Baby G was most upset at being dragged away from the slide. This didnít fill us with great hopes for his behaviour at lunch. However in choosing ďSamís brasserieĒ Matt and Kathy had made a sound choice. Itís tucked down a little lane off Chiswick High road by Turnham Green so nice and quiet. Inside is industrial restaurant refit 101 but it works well as there is loads of space. We were shown to a big round table with lots of room for the boys to play at the table without knocking over anything.

The menu is classic brasserie style with some old favourites and some with a new twist. I decided to go a bit alternative and go for the fish curry which came with rice and pickles. The curry sauce was very nice as were the rice and pickles but the fish less so. One of the drawbacks of London at this time is some of the produce is not that fresh so alas my fish tasted a bit old. Having said that everyone else enjoyed their meals and it all looked nice with good portions so I think in this case I chose wrong. Baby G in particular loved his pasta, which was nicely seasoned and tasty. He also liked the bread pinching most of mine. However when it came to dessert Samís really won me over with a superlative banana split. I shared it with my lovely wife and it was delicious, top stuff. Baby G was kept busy with some ice cream.

The food wasnít that quick coming out which is usually a problem when dining with our boy but it didnít matter here as all 3 boys were really well behaved. Happy to be in a big spacious restaurant with lovely food. In fact a party of elderly diners at the next table came up to us and complemented us on the behaviour of the children, I can tell you thatís never happened to baby G before. The chaps were driving but the girls got through bloody maryís and a bottle of wine so by the end of our lunch there was a very happy atmosphere. The bill was about £80 per family which wasnít bad. All in all a very successful lunch in very nice surroundings. It offers hope that the long leisurely lunch may not be an activity of my past.
View/Add comments (1)

david ginsberg - View all reviews by this user
Monday, January 23, 2012

Absolutely LOVE this place!

We've lived in Chiswick for 2 years now and for some reason only discovered this restaurant a few weeks ago BUT how happy were we to find this little gem.

It was a Friday night and we were ravenous and too lazy to cook. So we took a walk down Chiswick High Road and for the first time noticed the little passageway next to the Barley Mow pub. Not ever having been down there before we decided to explore and find out where the 'glowing' was coming from from down the other end.

Then we found Sam's Brasserie. As we entered the place was buzzing and absolutely packed. The manager greeted us almost immediately and with a big beaming smile said that they didn't have a table for us right now but if we wanted to wait in the bar for 20 minutes then they should have something.

So we moved over to what we found out was their beautifully newly refurbished bar. The barman, I think his name was Ben, was fab! Very friendly and efficient. He made us the most fantastic lemon vanilla martinis - hands down the best cocktails in Chiswick.

After a short wait we were asked to move through to the restaurant. I thought I'd be experimental and try the bone marrow and toast to start and then the whole plaice for my main. Both dishes were absolutely delicious. It was my first time trying bone marrow and I have to say I was blown away with how yummy it was. The plaice was cooked to perfection- the balance of butter and capers and lemon all finely tuned to create a taste bud explosion!

We decided to 'share' the banana split for pudding but I should have ordered my own as my hubby ended up gobbling up the whole thing. To quote him "that salted caramel ice cream is to die for"- and I'd have to agree!

All in all, we had the most fantastic evening and will be back again, again and again.

Chiswick_gal