Banners

21 Park Road, Crouch End , London, N8 8TE - View on a map

I left most of my food as it was so badly cooked. How is it possible to mess up sausage and mash? Extremely overrated place that I desperately wanted to like, particularly because its kid friendly but virtually every other restaurant in crouch end has better food and is better value.

Monday, June 17, 2013

How can a place SO busy get it SO right every time .... food, atmosphere and service ALWAYS superb !!!!! ... May it last another 20 years! ... and THANKYOU !

Pip
Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dear me when Will people realise it is impossible to run a good restaurant from the isle of Mann. Used to be a top eatery top fun service fantastic food and great music. Returned to crouch end after 6 years absence to find things have gone seriously Pete Tong. All the above good points have turned extreme opposite. What a shame :-(

moose - View all reviews by this user
Friday, October 26, 2012

I literally love this place, I live in Muswell Hill and it's one of my favourite places to eat in the local area. As a vegetarian I feel so well catered for at this place. My husband loves the jerk chicken, we always rave about it to friends. Chris Martin (Coldplay) gave a shout out for Banners at Glasto (I think). I'm surprised by the negative comments, but each to their own. I have a friend who lives in Crouch End and always eats here too, she and her hubby also love it. It is great unpretentious filling food. Bore off moany people! :)

Cheryl Theodorou Abela
Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This place really needs to look at its food very, very carefully.

About 3 or 4 years ago you could rely on Banners for delicious, home cooked, wonderful food - now it's unifomally shocking. I mean, really bad.

The last few times I've visited I've sworn "never again" on the way out (I have so many fond memories from back in the day), but this time I mean it after yet another evening of burnt, bone-dry jerk chicken, cold platain, "medium" burgers that came to the table raw and countless other horrors.

I'm not sure if they've changed cooks, supplier, manager or all three, but something's gone badly wrong somewhere. Unfortunately it's still packed (presumably with people who are also giving it one last chance) so it means they'll keep on churning out poor, chewy, cold food until customer levels start to drop.

It's annoying to pay £8 for a bad meal. When you're approaching £15/£16 it's pretty insulting.

Ian Kemp
Friday, March 16, 2012

I have lived in Crouch End for 6 years and eat here about 2 or 3 times a year. This is mainly because Banners is really popular and l'm never organised enough to book. The last time l came in was for brunch and it was really good. I went on Saturday for a Valentine's meal with my husband and boy was l shocked and how bad it was. Whilst looking for the number online to book l stumbled upon these reviews and was shocked by all the bad ones. Unfortunately after many good meals there l am now someone giving them a bad review. Oh how down hill Banners has gone! I think unfortunately they are a victim of their own success and it's all about filling the place to the rafters now and so service and food is just not on par.

So I started with the chorizo in port with manchego cheese. To start with it looked so unappetising. The plate was a right old mess, it was absolutely swimming with grease and had just been flung on there with no care for the presentation. The portion was also huge, which although a good thing normally when it's mostly oil and grease isn't good. My husband had nachos which were equally ugly to look at, piled haphazardly and like they had been flung together and the taste was nothing to write home about. For the main my husband had steak which was possibly the worst steak l have ever had. It was SO chewy l couldn't even swallow the piece l tried and had to politely spit it out! I had the quesadillas which were dry and overcooked.

What's worse for that along with a bottle of wine the bill was over £70. For such a disappointing meal l felt like l had been robbed.

When telling a friend afterwards how bad the food was she asked if we had complained. I said how can you complain when everything was bad?! But you know if we had l don't think we would have got anywhere. The waitresses were so rushed off their feet as the place was so rammed full that they barely uttered a word, the food was literally flung on the table and off they ran. I am saddened to say l won't be going back, I know it's a Crouch End institution and it's so nice to still find one man bands in London that are doing well but l fear it won't be for much longer unless they stop trying to pack them in and concentrate on good food and service.

Annie
Monday, February 13, 2012

The food at Banners is very good in my experience and the place is charming. Sadly my experience there is tainted my repeated rude service which puts me off somewhat. A shame because their chicken salad is very tasty!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

So many of these reviews are literally saying something which is not true. Banners food is that rare if not unique combination of: fresh, delicious, big and incredible value. Furthermore, the atmosphere is relaxed, friendly and welcoming with kids catered for very well too (and I don't even have kids). There's also no fuss made over the famous or beautiful people that stop by not infrequently; I went there recently with a shockingly stunning girl and not an eyelid was batted - they treated us like she was a normal human. Which is just as we wanted it.

There are many great places to eat in London but Banners is definitely the best. Basically, eat there.

PS: I am connected neither by friendship nor by family to this restaurant. I just admire the excellent job that they do.

airzao
Friday, January 06, 2012

Love this place. Crouch End institution. The reviews here are unfair. The food is packed full of taste and flavour. Anywhere I see Dizzee Rascal eating too is good enough for me. Portions are big and the variety on the special menu always good. I eat here regurlarly.

Try the Chorizo in Port starter!

RL - View all reviews by this user
Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Banners is rubbish. I just had Jamaican chicken and roti. The chicken pieces were pre-cooked and just mixed with curry sauce and that eas never a roti. Prawns were tasteless. When will the Brits say you are serving me rubbish?

bobby wong