Taqueria

139-143 Westbourne Grove, Notting Hill, London, W11 2RS - View on a map

Taqueria Restaurant In London

Telegraph

Matthew Norman - 7/10

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - A seafood ceviche featuring prawns and pollack, served swimming in a watery marinade and with a dozen small corn biscuits (totopos), lacked the clarity of flavour that makes the dish served at the glorious Peruvian joint Lima so addictive. But tinga, a taco of shredded chicken with smoke-dried jalapeƱo sauce (chipotle), coriander and guacamole, was delicious and another taco with Mexican chorizo better still...This is simple, colourful, cheap and vibrant food, served with warmth and charm.

I used to like this place, I recommended it to anyone that asked for a good place to try Mexican food (being Mexican myself) but not anymore ... Just got the WORST treatment ever! Today is a important day for us Mexicans as we celebrate the Day of the Dead. I was looking forward to buying some groceries for my altar at Taqueria but when we got there realised it was closed. A nice guy saw us outside and offered to sell us what we needed from the shop, as the restaurant was obviously closed. We were choosing our goodies, when someone he refered to as "boss" arrived. He just looked at us and in a not very nice way just said "unless you pay with cash you won't be able to buy anything" we were a bit surprised with his abrupt approach but decided to just get a long with it and pay (with card of course)... When we were about to pay, I dare asking if I could by a small portion of refried beans... The guy just lost it and in a very rude way he said to me. "I'm telling you we are not opened yet, I'm actually doing you a favor here ! To which I responded look if there is a problem we... He interrupted me and kept his aggressive speech... We just thanked the other guy (who looked really embarrassed) and decided to leave. I still don't understand where this guy's attitude came from but it is unacceptable. As Mexicans, we are very very proud of our hospitality and therefore, we expect a bit ok that in any Mexican place. Fortunately, there are now plenty of Mexican food restaurants here in London...So I can now say ... Taqueria ? Forget it! No more....

Al
Friday, November 01, 2013

By a country mile the best Mexican food in london....with a hangover from hell I decided to stop for lunch at taqueria, I ordered the Pastor tacos and the Poblano enchiladas which is the best dish I have eaten anywhere for a long time.......I left super satisfied having lost most of the hangover.

I spent the rest of the day thinking about how amazing it was and by the time it hit supper time I persuaded my friend to come back with me again to sample more mexican delights....... I arrived and the staff were amazing yet again, needless to say I ordered the exactly same dishes with the addition of chicken tingas and carnitas, the bartender gave me a a beer with chilli and lime for the remnants of the hangover.

I cannot recommend the place enough, top draw.

fred scott