Taste of Siam

45 Camden High Street, London, NW1 7JH - View on a map

Taste of Siam Restaurant In London

Not often am I motivated to write a review, less a negative one, but my experience of Taste of Siam has been so poor that I have to leave comment.

To summarise the food is mediocre at best and the service non existent, but I think that neither of these things are the priority at Taste of Siam. What you have here is the only Thai restaurant at the Mornington Crescent end of Camden and therefore the only possible choice for someone looking to eat Thai at that end of Camden.

This is the 1970's school canteen of Thai food. We ordered some starters, soups, main dishes and rice, vegetables. When I asked for the soups and a starters first the waitress became confused and in the end just walked a way when we were unable to reach an agreement.

There are not a lot of vegetarian dishes on the menu, in the vegetarian section there is a Green Curry that my partner wanted to order, I asked the waitress if it was vegetarian, she said yes, I asked if it had Ka Pi (shrimp paste) she told me they don't put shrimp paste in green curry, she seemed confused and annoyed I was asking questions about the food. We asked for a few more minutes in which time we notice there is an F for fish symbol by the 'veggie' curry, I assume for the Ka Pi in the paste or fish sauce which is what I was trying to ascertain.

I ordered Pla Rad Prik, crispy fish with chill sauce. This was almost inedible. It was fried fish with half a bottle of Thai Sweet Chilli sauce poured over it, with large pieces of undercooked peppers and onion. Gloopy and overly sweet with the generic Sweet Chilli sauce, not resembling in any way the traditional rendition of this dish.

The staff didn't smile once, they got annoyed when I asked anything about any of the dishes, when they came to serve the food they listlessly approached the table with zero grace and enthusiasm, plonking the food down on the table without any consideration or acknowledgement.

The banana fritter and coconut ice cream were ok, though the batter was a bit soggy, the Nam Pla Prik (a condiment of chilli in fish sauce) was the best thing they served us. It seems to me they are only interested in serving the passer by and infrequent customer, or any of the hoard of tourists who pass through Camden on a night out, the food is bland and cheaply done, with no attention to creating what should be a great dish (Pla Rad Prik for example, served here covered in the ubiquitous bottled Sweet Chilli).

I won't go back, there are much better Thai restaurants at the Chalk Farm end of Camden.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015